Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

4 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Just saying she is a fangirl and meeting her idol is just an oversimplification and that is not enough backstory IMO.

It is the part of her backstory that is relevant to this movie. The stuff with the Clandestine and Red Dagger and everything does not matter to this story, so why would they need to spend any time recapping it. There might be some connection to her bangle and the device Dar-Benn wears, but again, there is not any need for a lengthy recap of the entire plot.

In Avengers, they didn't recap the entire plot of the first Captain America movie, it's literally a 30 second montage recapping him crashing the plane and being found in the ice.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It's just really not that hard to catch people up on Kamala and Monica as some people are saying. They don't need to recap the entire plotlines of their shows, just the parts of their origins related to this movie. It would take, at most, five minutes.

They don't but also the problem is then why are they in a team up film. Their dead weight for Captain Marvel imo. If they weren't we would have had their own films already as Thor/Cap got.

12 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

They don't but also the problem is then why are they in a team up film. Their dead weight for Captain Marvel imo. If they weren't we would have had their own films already as Thor/Cap got.

Kamala literally had an entire TV show just about her. Not having had a previous movie doesn't mean Kamala is "dead weight".

And for the millionth time: Monica was in the first movie. She's just older and played by someone else now. Not every individual character needs a solo movie in order to...I guess be likable in this one?

8 hours ago, Cap said:

I have said this before, I will say this again, and I will forever say this: Singin in the Rain is an 1 hr and 42 minutes. It’s the most perfect movie.  Ever.

It’s not about length, it’s about character and PACING. If they can get it done in an hour and 30, then good for them.

I'm old enough to remember, fuck me 10 years ago now, the fact that Gravity was only 91 minutes and people bitched about that before and after the fact. 

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is a damn near flawless 105 minutes, imo.   

2 hours ago, Cap said:

None of this is confirmed, yet, officially. some of you are really working yourselves into tizzy, over things that you don’t know, are true, and things that you cannot control.

He even says "NOT FINAL" 

It's funny how much runtime makes people get ALL ROWDY.  I remember accidentally setting a bomb off in the TASM thread back in the day because I found a runtime of 90 minutes or something on some website I found access to at work lmao. 

Obviously, that was wrong, so until we have something official there's really no point in being super upset about anything.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Someone has already added The Marvels' runtime of 107 minutes to its letterboxd page.

https://letterboxd.com/film/the-marvels/

And this is because a few accounts on twitter have mistakenly tweeted that The Marvels' runtime is 1 hour 47 minutes whereas the original scooper(Cryptic HD) is claiming that runtime is 1 hour 38 minutes.

Edited by Willowra

Obviously the funniest scenario is that this isn't actually true and then everyone has to backtrack on runtime importance and such

But like the first X-Men movie was under two hours and that ensemble was way bigger. Longer does not equal automatically better. I think superhero fans feel burned because sometimes the shorter ones aren't as good as the longer ones, like Wolverine Origins...but the problem with those movies aren't the runtimes, it's the scripts. I can't think of anyone who saw Origins and thought "this needs an extra thirty minutes"

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 2

You can bet your money, if it's indeed 97 minutes long, it was probably cut to pieces and not some brilliant editing job, those movies are very short only if they were destroyed in the editing room and studio tries to get as much screenings as they can by making it as short as possible, it's a common practice.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Obviously the funniest scenario is that this isn't actually true and then everyone has to backtrack on runtime importance and such

But like the first X-Men movie was under two hours and that ensemble was way bigger. Longer does not equal automatically better. I think superhero fans feel burned because sometimes the shorter ones aren't as good as the longer ones, like Wolverine Origins...but the problem with those movies aren't the runtimes, it's the scripts. I can't think of anyone who saw Origins and thought "this needs an extra thirty minutes"

This movie is not gonna have a good script, haha

Nia DaCosta’s Candyman and Little Woods we’re both shorter than this is reported to be (minus credits) and had great pacing. Plus this looks like it’s leaning more toward light hearted comedy rather than sci-fi epic, so maybe we should wait before writing it off over the running time.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Nia DaCosta’s Candyman and Little Woods we’re both shorter than this is reported to be (minus credits) and had great pacing. Plus this looks like it’s leaning more toward light hearted comedy rather than sci-fi epic, so maybe we should wait before writing it off over the running time.

I think people saw the "it has elements from WandaVision, Ms Marvel, etc" as thinking this was meant to be a big Avengers type thing instead of a team movie about 3 peoples dynamic with each other.

• Like 1

Just now, SpiderByte said:

I think people saw the "it has elements from WandaVision, Ms Marvel, etc" as thinking this was meant to be a big Avengers type thing instead of a team movie about 3 peoples dynamic with each other.

This could still be big a Avengers type thing. Avengers are considered as big thing because of great action & epic soundtrack. What if this movie has both with a shorter runtime?

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Not to mention that all three characters have been introduced in previous films/TV shows so they don’t have to do any sort of “origin” story for any of them. The only one who might need fleshing out a bit is Ms Marvel since she’s only been seen on Disney+/ABC so far.

It might be a misfire, it might not be, we don’t know, but all the handwringing over run times never ceases to be silly. A film is as long as it needs to be. I know some films have been chopped down in post to their detriment, but unless I’m mistaken, the only people who keep saying this has had production problems are the usual suspects…

• Like 1