Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

2 hours ago, TomThomas said:

You can bet your money, if it's indeed 97 minutes long, it was probably cut to pieces and not some brilliant editing job, those movies are very short only if they were destroyed in the editing room and studio tries to get as much screenings as they can by making it as short as possible, it's a common practice.

I also like to say things with absolutely no evidence or any sort of backing for my claims!

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, TMP said:

Im sure it’ll have better writing than secret invasion!

I'd say the writing in Secret Invasion was actually its savings grace. The quiet talking moments between Fury and literally anyone else were the most compelling parts.

2 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

A great editor can turn even the most rigid of films into a good movie. Who’s the editor of this film?

Wiki says Catrin Hedstrom (who has worked with Nia before) and Evan Schiff (who has done some John Wick films and Nobody, and Birds of Prey)

Other than the rounds of reshoots (which is not unusual for MCU), there’s no rumors of awful test screenings or panicking over it’s quality so i really have no idea why everyone is just presuming it’s awful based on a bunch of nothing 

It’s short just like Nia other movies, and it’s edited by the same person so … 

It can be bad, who knows, but all these weird posts here just seems like people who wants it to be bad trying to twist irrelevant things as proofs.

And yes i’m already treating the runtime as real because the guy who said it it’s the most reliable guy about this things out there. Final should change a bit because the movie is not done but shouldn’t change much this late in production. 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Man.. people just believe anyone nowadays. I heard from a source that Deadpool 3 will be 10 minutes long. 🙃

I mean that is probably the length of the footage that they managed to get before the strike, so you’re currently probably not wrong!

What I always find funny about these runtime debates is that every few weeks on Twitter I see tweets that are along the lines of “what happened to tight 90 minute movies?” with thousands of likes. Then as soon as we get one, people act like the sky is falling.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Man.. people just believe anyone nowadays. I heard from a source that Deadpool 3 will be 10 minutes long. 🙃

Instead of judging people why don’t you scroll his entire profile and see the data? They’re very reliable for both movies and TV shows. 

We’re not arguing over some random dude, and if it bothers you just don’t interact with it.

29 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Not to mention that all three characters have been introduced in previous films/TV shows so they don’t have to do any sort of “origin” story for any of them. The only one who might need fleshing out a bit is Ms Marvel since she’s only been seen on Disney+/ABC so far.

Hell, Doctor Strange covered Wandas whole deal without any problems, and the plot of WandaVision was way more important there than it or Ms Marvel appear to be for this one.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Willowra said:

This could still be big a Avengers type thing. Avengers are considered as big thing because of great action & epic soundtrack. What if this movie has both with a shorter runtime?

I mean it'll probably have space battles and such but it's looking much more like an actual Captain Marvel sequel than, say, Civil War, which was basically Avengers 3

Edited by SpiderByte

11 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I mean it'll probably have space battles and such but it's looking much more like an actual Captain Marvel sequel than, say, Civil War, which was basically Avengers 3

The power levels of the 3 characters are actually very high; they can take on the entire Avengers team, so whether the movie will give Avengers movie feel or not will depend upon the execution of action scenes and how action scenes have been filmed.

38 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Other than the rounds of reshoots (which is not unusual for MCU), there’s no rumors of awful test screenings or panicking over it’s quality so i really have no idea why everyone is just presuming it’s awful based on a bunch of nothing 

It’s short just like Nia other movies, and it’s edited by the same person so … 

It can be bad, who knows, but all these weird posts here just seems like people who wants it to be bad trying to twist irrelevant things as proofs.

And yes i’m already treating the runtime as real because the guy who said it it’s the most reliable guy about this things out there. Final should change a bit because the movie is not done but shouldn’t change much this late in production. 

Mostly based off the trailer, there were no rumors of awful test screenings for Thor 4 or Quantumania to my knowledge so trailer is the only thing to go off of.

• Like 1

I agree that there's nothing inherently wrong with the runtime

However, if you look at the last 6 MCU movies, the 2 hours ones (Quantumania, Thor 4, MoM) have had middling reception, whereas 2 hour 30 minutes or more ones (Guardians 3, No Way Home, Wakanda Forever) had better reception. Which is interesting.

7 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Mostly based off the trailer, there were no rumors of awful test screenings for Thor 4 or Quantumania to my knowledge so trailer is the only thing to go off of.

Quantumania was weird because the trailer doesn’t even match the tone of the actual movie

41 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I agree that there's nothing inherently wrong with the runtime

However, if you look at the last 6 MCU movies, the 2 hours ones (Quantumania, Thor 4, MoM) have had middling reception, whereas 2 hour 30 minutes or more ones (Guardians 3, No Way Home, Wakanda Forever) had better reception. Which is interesting.

And if you believed this forum, only 1 of those 6 movies was good. So, idk what to tell you.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

And if you believed this forum, only 1 of those 6 movies was good. So, idk what to tell you.

According to reception

Very good . Guardians 3, shang chi , NWH .

NWH and shang chi have gotten a lot more criticisms post release. Yeah this forum gets a tad bit hyperbolic but anecdotally and in some videos I have watched ,the enthusiasm around this 2 movies is not as strong as it was upon release.

Good . WF .many considered this a return to standard MCU form.

Ok. Black widow . Good  in parts , meh in some and kind of bad in others. Overall felt like  a movie no one wanted.

Mixed . DS2 and TLT

Bad . Eternals and Quantumania.

4 out of the 9 movies were good reception wise.

GOTG 3 is the one with the most overwhelming  praise of all of them for now.