Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

46 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't 

I don't see why you keep acting like The Marvels is the rule and not an exception. Apparently one sub-100 opening out of the last 7 movies is the death of the franchise?

so. One box office flop(Ant Man). Another flop (The Marvels), average to poorly received films (Eternals, Thor 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ant Man 3) and no clear direction is what leads to the death of a franchise 

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You can toss out a million excuses and defenses and claim that there is nothing wrong with the modern MCU but the fact is The Marvels is tracking poorly with pre-sales and Marvel movies thrive on pre-sales. There is a problem no matter what the defense squad claims.

The Marvels isn't a good benchmark for MCU fatigue tbh. Many knew this was going to decrease a lot from Captain Marvel for several reasons. Even before any tracking, the most bullish prediction I saw were below Quantumania. Deadpool's performance is going to be a much better metric. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

The Marvels isn't a good benchmark for MCU fatigue tbh. Many knew this was going to decrease a lot from Captain Marvel for several reasons. Even before any tracking, the most bullish prediction I saw were below Quantumania. Deadpool's performance is going to be a much better metric. 

Deadpool will be HUGE

5 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I mean I feel like people keep saying “actually the next movie is the one that shows if there is fatigue or not”. I think The Marvels is a good barometer. The first one made 1.2 billion and the character is supposedly supposed to be one of the main new stars and headliners  of the MCU according to Feige 

Edited by John Marston

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

so. One box office flop(Ant Man). Another flop (The Marvels), average to poorly received films (Eternals, Thor 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ant Man 3) and no clear direction is what leads to the death of a franchise 

Except they've been very clear, multiple times, what the next big thing is. Avengers 5 and 6. Two flops out of almost thirty is not a doomed series.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't 

I don't see why you keep acting like The Marvels is the rule and not an exception. Apparently one sub-100 opening out of the last 7 movies is the death of the franchise?

I have never said anything about a death sentence. Never. Not once. I said that the franchise is in trouble. It is in a slump due to inconsistent quality and overexposure. It is not a healthy franchise right now. Please do not ascribe hyperbole to me that I never engaged in.

• Like 1

Reviews on November 8 at 9AM ET, 24 hours before the previews start

I’ve heard some things about Disney expectations for it before but didn’t care to post it, but this super late embargo pretty much confirms it

There’s absolutely no reason for a movie that doesn’t rely on secrets like NWH to have such a late embargo, especially with the awful presales

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I’ve heard some things about Disney expectations for it before but didn’t care to post it, but this super late embargo pretty much confirms it

There’s absolutely no reason for a movie that doesn’t rely on secrets like NWH to have such a late embargo, especially with the awful presales

Not really. Idk about whatever inside info you claim to have but this is basically the same as the last Doctor Strange embargo. It's not like FNAF where the embargo is after the movie is released.

23 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

If this embargo still stands then Disney is afraid. Very afraid. And I don't blame them because they thought Eternals was Best Picture Oscar worthy and they thought everyone would love Ant-Man 3. The family and friends test screenings aren't working anymore.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Valencia said:

Yikes.

Can’t use actors to promote it, presale are bad, and lifting reviews as late as possible to make sure the opening weekend is a big as can be.

Does this movie have anything going for it?

It got decently big opening weekend sets for presales...which may make theaters cry, but I know my metro drops it all to one screen for presales in weekend 2, and does not sell past Wish open (aka, no Thanksgiving weekend sales are available to prebuy)...so, it's not gonna compound the likely coming mistake...

33 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Sounds like reactions drop just after the red carpet (or whatever they're doing for the premiere) happens.

Today @Zakiyyah6 said that he couldn’t imagine people wanting Marvel Studios to release early reviews. Then now Erik Davis shows up apparently giddy about The Marvels saying that reactions are apparently coming Nov 7 with reviews Nov 8 and now rumors they heard online the prognostic is that the film isn’t good.

My head is hurting from the weekend thread because hypocrisy is one thing that pisses me off but I’m going to say this: I talk about film because I love film. Blockbuster escapism is my comfort food for reasons I won’t enlist here. Here’s hoping the film delivers and studios finally pay their actors what they deserve. It would be amazing get to see these 3 promoting this film.

• Like 2