Eric Lasagna

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

15 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

…am talking about Star Wars. Unless am missing your point are you not equating Marvels struggling to Ashoka’s results and suggesting it would be ridiculous to suggest off Star Wars that Star Wars is failing?

MCU is miles from that disaster. The success they are having is very downsized on the Star Wars end.

Oh, that makes more sense lol. I think the TV side is doing fine with Star Wars, they just can't get a movie off the runaway.

People can blame the SAG strike, no promotion, and other side reasons, but here are the 3 main reasons why The Marvels is doing so badly:

1. MCU slowdown because of low-quality movies & shows, as confirmed by Loki S02 Nielsen's rating.

2. Boycott of large numbers of nerds: This is doing 1/4th of Blue Beetle in Mexico and Brazil; this can't happen unless there is a strong boycott. Marvel did nothing to reduce the hate. A group of people have been doing hate campaigns for the past 5 years, but Marvel Studios, Feige, and MCU main actors didn't say a single word in support of Brie Larson.

3. 4.5-year gap between the first one and this: GA, especially female audiences, just forgot about this character, and that's why they're now putting Endgame and her first movie clips in marketing, but it's too late now. They setup this movie to fail at the box office by priotizing the movies of Thor and Doctor Strange in Phase 4, who were already popular, and their movies would've done the same at the box office if they had released those in 2023 instead of 2022.

Final comment on this thread: I don't give a sh*t about the MCU now & not gonna watch any MCU movie in theatre but I feel sad for Brie Larson. She deserved better.  Her performance in Lessons in Chemistry is excellent &, and the show is a success on Apple TV+, as per Apple CEO Tim Cook, so there is at least something for her to be happy about.

Edited by Willowra
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

51 minutes ago, Willowra said:

2. Boycott of large numbers of nerds: This is doing 1/4th of Blue Beetle in Mexico and Brazil; this can't happen unless there is a strong boycott. Marvel did nothing to reduce the hate. A group of people have been doing hate campaigns for the past 5 years, but Marvel Studios, Feige, and MCU main actors didn't say a single word in support of Brie Larson.

That wouldn't reduce the hate. In fact, the hate and complaints will likely increase. In Obi-Wan, that happened when Disney shows support to Reva's actress from racist hostility.

Don't misunderstand me, it would be a pretty good thing that Marvel Studios show direct support to Brie Larson. Studios shouldn't leave their actors alone to handle the hate campaings

The thing is studios often try to do what is convenient for themselves. If studios showing support will reduce the hate and increase popularity, they would always support their actors.

Edited by Kon

2 hours ago, Torontofan said:

I think audiences in modern times dont like all powerful heros with no flaws or weaknesses.

Feel why public like Iron man so much vs Superman. 

Iron man was a drunk, a womenizer and warmonger in the first movie.

CM in the first movie was like perfect lol 

Carol was literally a zombie working for the villains. I think movie Carol sucks as a character but her backstory is pretty much the same as Black Widow's and Wanda's for that matter and people love those characters. I don't think movie Carol's problem is that she has a perfect background and is perfect. 

• Like 1

Recent tracking from DOM, China, and LatAm (as well as the reported budget of $250m) unfortunately indicates this could beat John Carter's record as the biggest Box Office bomb of all time adjusted for inflation (est. $255m loss). 

The production budget is $250m. The marketing budget is $100m. Unless it surges at the last minute, BO gross is looking at a potential sub-$200m globally, of which Disney will get back sub-$100m.

Most female or femme actors don't deserve the hate that they get. Yes even when those female or femme actors are being sucky people they still get more hate than male actors who are equally sucky people. Larson didn't even do anything wrong. She worked with a bad script that she didn't write and was awkward in some interviews. Those are not good reasons to hate her. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Pretty sure any chance at good reviews are gone now that the press have poisoned the water; everyone wants this to be a feeding frenzy

You think movie critics are conspiring to give it negative reviews?

6 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Recent tracking from DOM, China, and LatAm (as well as the reported budget of $250m) unfortunately indicates this could beat John Carter's record as the biggest Box Office bomb of all time adjusted for inflation (est. $255m loss). 

The production budget is $250m. The marketing budget is $100m. Unless it surges at the last minute, BO gross is looking at a potential sub-$200m globally, of which Disney will get back sub-$100m.

That's not gonna happen.

I don't think critics are going to have a vendetta against The Marvels. Everyone knew that Blue Beetle was going to bomb and it still got passable reviews from most critics. It has a 78/68 on RT and a 61 on Metacritic. Those aren't great reviews but still better than Ant-Man 3 which had actual hype behind it.

If the critics find The Marvels passable it will get passable reviews. Personally I'm leery of the film's quality because Marvel weren't able to do last minute reshoots, that runtime screams we trimmed the movie down as much as possible for more screenings and the review embargo dropping a day or two before the film is released is almost always a red flag. It certainly means that the studio is unsure.

• Like 5