Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

59 minutes ago, Psylocke said:

It makes me wonder why American critics are kinder to this than International critics?

There is a reason its called "access journalism".  A large chunk of American critics depend on the ability to have access to the Hollywood/Disney juggernaut.  See Vulture article from Sept.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

Actually, It looks like it's common for there to be a gender divide among the critics for MCU films

• The Marvels (first 112 RT critics)
    • Men: 53%
    • Women: 71%
  • Love and Thunder (first 106 RT critics)
    • Men: 61%
    • Women: 86%
  • Guardians 3 (first 101 RT critics)
    • Men: 75%
    • Women: 87%

Women are generally easier to please. If they enjoy it ,will go for it ,that's all . Men generally tend to be more critical. 

Not saying women are not critical, it's just there are more forgiving of flaws than men who though may enjoy something ,there will always be that aspect of overanalyzing  it .

I just wanna say, I'm surprised by the ammount of reviews where the reviewer doesn't seem to understand that the characters on swap when they use their powers *at the same time*. Which is weird because, I haven't seen the movie, but in the trailer it looks like Monica all but looks into the camera and says "we swap places whenever we use out powers at the same time". I'm watching Jeremy Jahns right now, He doesn't seem to get it. And as a result these reviewers are accusing the plot/writing of not making sense, so now I'm wondering if other complaints about the plot not making sense are due to misunderstanding.

Funny enough, Someone told me that what turned them off from the film was when Monica explained the swapping in the trailer. They insisted that it was insulting to the audience's intelligence. 

1 minute ago, Hypercortical said:

I just wanna say, I'm surprised by the ammount of reviews where the reviewer doesn't seem to understand that the characters on swap when they use their powers *at the same time*. Which is weird because, I haven't seen the movie, but in the trailer it looks like Monica all but looks into the camera and says "we swap places whenever we use out powers at the same time". I'm watching Jeremy Jahns right now, He doesn't seem to get it. And as a result these reviewers are accusing the plot/writing of not making sense, so now I'm wondering if other complaints about the plot not making sense are due to misunderstanding.

Funny enough, Someone told me that what turned them off from the film was when Monica explained the swapping in the trailer. They insisted that it was insulting to the audience's intelligence. 

Personally, when I hear things like that in a case like this, I don't see it as the reviewer lacking intelligence. Instead it feels to me like the reviewer just went into the film not all that interested, and as a result, didn't pay as much attention as they normally would have. Like, I've had that issue before, where because I wrote off a film before I saw it, on my first viewing I missed a lot of substance, or wrote certain things off as nonsense. 

47 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Unlike Captain Marvel, Joker left a cultural impact.

Unlike Captain Marvel, Joker wasn't carried by China.

Unlike Captain Marvel, which was carried by Endgame, Joker succeeded on it's own terms despite DC brand being in the gutter.

Unlike The Marvels, Joker 2 is being targeted towards an audience that is actually interested in it. Online engagements so far are very high, showing people are interested.

With Lady Gaga in it and some of the competition fleeing to 2025, it is hard to see it not being massive.

Joker is the definition of a lighting bolt in a bottle BO run (a 4.2x WW multi for a CBM is unheard of) and those are nearly impossible to replicate. It will see a dropoff, by how much is yet to be seen. I'm more at $850M WW than say another billion dollar film

Edited by TheFlatLannister
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

Maybe Deadpool 3 if it gets lucky, but there is no way that Joker 2 doesn't have its own Captain Marvel-esque collapse.

Why would it? This post makes no sense lol - there’s an ocean of difference between a sequel to a captain marvel movie no one ever gave a shit about and a sequel to an oscar nominated cultural monster which now has Lady Gaga

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

So 59% with 130 reviews.

Been counting from 86 reviews.

Of the 44 reviews  31 have been  positive (70%) 

Using antman 3 which had 410.

So about 270+ reviews left  . If 70% of  those are positive . Final RT would be 66-67% .

So thing this is settling in 60s.

I don’t think you can extrapolate out like that. 

Forgot to mention my favourite sequence of the movie.

Spoiler

A Chekhov's gun with the flerken eggs hatching. The orbital space station catches fire and most of the escape pods go offline. The solution is that the kittens swallow up all the personnel and are herded into the last pod.

The reason I liked it was because it entailed the personnel running panickily from these kittens while the intercom told them not to resist and let the kittens eat them. The shots looked like something out of a horror movie. I was genuinely tickled by the concept and execution. Could've gone further but I enjoyed it. Like Alien, or The Thing.

Dunno what my specific low point was. The effects were terrible so I'd like to add another comment on them. As well as the villain.

Spoiler

I think the effects were probably the biggest issue with Dar-Benn. She's rather bland but has a serviceable origin and reason for hating Cap-M. The bangles are silly but that's more prop than character. The hammer is also silly but slightly less so.

The effects though. Oh man. It looks exactly like the 2000 Dune miniseries. The eye glows are just appalling. And Monica at the end. Oh lord. Ok, the memories are coming back. This was definitely the worst part of the film.

Edited by Hecking Nidorino
Changed period to comma

36 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Women are generally easier to please. If they enjoy it ,will go for it ,that's all . Men generally tend to be more critical. 

Not saying women are not critical, it's just there are more forgiving of flaws than men who though may enjoy something ,there will always be that aspect of overanalyzing  it .

Perhaps. Looking at Joker, the opposite seems to be the case

First 101 Joker RT critics
Men: 80%

Women: 64%

• Astonished 1