Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 minute ago, Squire said:

It’s funny how Flash getting a 63 on RT was a loss but Marvels currently sitting at 62 is a win. Looking like similar result at BO, though, and a real loss for Marvels considering the success the first one had. 

Flash flopping so hard completely overshadowed its RT Fresh rating.

3 minutes ago, Squire said:

It’s funny how Flash getting a 63 on RT was a loss but Marvels currently sitting at 62 is a win. Looking like similar result at BO, though, and a real loss for Marvels considering the success the first one had. 

Difference in expectations. The Flash was touted for months by everyone from James Gunn to David Zaslav as some kind of cinematic masterpiece whereas Disney hid The Marvels away from prying eyes for as long as possible like they were about to drop something Morbius level.

7 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Wakanda Forever. Shang Chi. Eternals for all it’s flaws was not butchered in the editing room.

imo, the biggest flaws in Eternals came from the Editing room. Time-jumps to the past and present are in the wrong order and of the wrong lengths to keep the pace engaging, and most importantly, the intro we get is a bad introduction to the main characters. The movie should have opened with sersei heading to class to teach, rather than the weird alien robot stuff where we see them all fight deviants with blank expressions, or unrelatable sly smirks on their faces. 

The MCU should have one rule. Humanity first; Aliens, Wizards, and Robots second. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TMP said:

Movie critics used to have degrees, class and eloquence. Now they’re 45 year old neckbeards who write for collider and soy face over children’s entertainment. Not saying any conspiracy thing before a mod gets on my ass, just observing the fall of the quality of writing

I understand the frustration. But also, some of these top critics are lacking as well. I've been reading some reviews here and there, and even top critics sometimes have a tendency to write nonsense. And I wanna be very clear that i'm not knocking anyone for liking or disliking anything. What i'm talking about is people's ability to actually hone in on and communicate what made the film not work for them. The problem is you can't do that well if your argument is full of non-sequiturs or objective misunderstandings that occur because you weren't paying that close attention in the first place. 

One thing that I can't speak to outside of a single example (the switching mechanic) is that a regular and top rotten reviewers alike often say something along the lines of "the mechanics don't make sense if you don't turn your brain off, so I guess you should turn your brain off". And, like that *could* be a fair criticism, but more often than not ime it's bull. A big one is MCU multiverse/time-travel logic. people really frequently claim it's wildly inconsistent and there are lots of examples in Loki, or movies that don't make sense, and they're just wrong, they just don't know multiverse/time-travel fiction well enough, nor the real-world physics concepts that clearly inspire it.  

4 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Critics use to be few. Now we have 500+ critics which have definitely diluted everything. Most of those bloggers are not much  different from your casual audience viewer.

Don't get me wrong some of the top critics can get way over their assess too  but agree writing in general has declined.  Most of the reviews now  have generic repeated statements that you have had multiple times and they've lost meaning.

idk, I think there is something that makes you different to the casual audience viewer. To become a tomatometer approved critic, you have to have been writing critic content for like 2 years. Most people don't do that. Don't give that much thought to the things they watch.  

While everyone is focused on critic scores (which appear to be more favorable domestically), what is the audience reception like? I saw some overseas metrics indicating bad/mediocre reception, but do we have an indication on domestic audience reception yet?

4 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Funny you say that, when there was a breakdown of critics genders some pages ago showing how critics who are women are rating this movie better than male critics. And looking quickly at RT, the trend seems to continue.

Also, fuck that term.

That's right, here's an update
Screenshot_2023-11-09_114149.png?ex=655f

The difference between men and women went up to 20 points before, but it's back down to 16.5, about where it was when I first checked. 
Difference between top critics is 20, down from ~25 earlier. 

Fun fact:

of the last 20 reviews to go in, 80% where fresh. I feel that the early critics were the harshest. it seems as time passes they get more positive. I see several reviews from women recognizing and embracing the femininity of the film. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Squire said:

While everyone is focused on critic scores (which appear to be more favorable domestically), what is the audience reception like? I saw some overseas metrics indicating bad/mediocre reception, but do we have an indication on domestic audience reception yet?

The Cinemascore will tell us that. Should get it on Friday. Anything below A- would be bad.

Edited by Mojoguy

23 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

the day he gives an MCU movie a negative review the space-time continuum will collapse.

(that said I do follow him on Twitter and he’s often right about internet fanboy culture) 

his twitter belongs in a museum. Every tweet is like a mini mona lisa of the dumbest word salads ever assembled, and it’s made even stranger by all the eugenics talk coming from the mouth of a dude who never left his parent’s basement

• Like 1