The Wild Eric

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Legitimate chance this goes sub 40 with poor reviews. Blue Beetle with bad reviews? 

Is there a legitimate chance of that? The low end estimate is 45M after all (lowest number I've seen thrown around).

4 minutes ago, DInky said:

Is there a legitimate chance of that? The low end estimate is 45M after all (lowest number I've seen thrown around).

I cannot say who it is but someone who is very reliable and is tracking a TC told me sub 40m is possible. But I am skeptical it will be that low unless this pulls a Quantumania(even then I am not sure). Sub 50m on the other hand looks likely based on current pace. 

• Like 4
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 2
  • Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, DInky said:

As one of the few who has been optimistic - mostly preaching patience - in the tracking thread … yeah it’s possible. Would probably take pretty bad reviews, but given data in hand would not rule out sub-$40M OW

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

I cannot say who it is but someone who is very reliable and is tracking a TC told me sub 40m is possible. But I am skeptical it will be that low unless this pulls a Quantumania(even then I am not sure). Sub 50m on the other hand looks likely based on current pace. 

I am so curious how Deadline will spin those numbers when they have to write the headline of their weekend boxoffice report.

16 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

FNAF OD > Marvels OW?

It appears my club was not ambitious enough... :( 

Someone should start the “Biggest box office bomb of all time” nominal and adjusted loss over John Carter club. Probably a real shot. Similar budgets (except even higher for this), and I don’t think JC’s 284m WW gross is at all a lock for this at this point. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Like Christ I genuinely like what I've seen of the movie but it's very hard to stay excited when basically even the press is rooting for a disaster.

Are they? Personally, I think it's a shame what's about to happen because I love Carol and Kamala but I also can't look away. This kind of drop is insane and it's hard to rationalize. You only see a drop like this if the first movie is hot garbage but it objectively wasn't. And if the drop we're seeing is caused by Marvel/superhero fatigue then it has big ramifications for all upcoming superhero movies.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, DInky said:

Are they? Personally, I think it's a shame what's about to happen because I love Carol and Kamala but I also can't look away. This kind of drop is insane and it's hard to rationalize. You only see a drop like this if the first movie is hot garbage but it objectively wasn't. And if the drop we're seeing is caused by Marvel/superhero fatigue then it has big ramifications for all upcoming superhero movies.

The fact CM seems to have sold well on home video/digital seems weirder in retrospect. At least theatrical directly ties into an Endgame narrative.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

The fact CM seems to have sold well on home video/digital seems weirder in retrospect. At least theatrical directly ties into an Endgame narrative.

Despite what chuds would like people to believe, Captain Marvel was well-received. Even Infinity War and Endgame wouldn't have been able to boost Captain Marvel to over 1 billion if people genuinely disliked the movie.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Like Christ I genuinely like what I've seen of the movie but it's very hard to stay excited when basically even the press is rooting for a disaster.

I have no idea what is going on social media today since I’ve spent the day busy organizing a birthday party, but my advice is grow a thicker skin. Don’t let others perceptions over a film that isn’t even out yet get you down. There is a lot of insane shit on that Variety article, Coy Jandreau’s take on it is where I stand on it:

With that said, I don’t even think press has been hard on this film. @PlatnumRoyce made a really good post on the Blade thread over what is said about that film on the article and I think that applies to a lot of what is on there. I think the actual issue here is that you’ve been almost a solo trooper posting here when most of us that are actually excited for the film one level or another barely show up as much as you do and it might look like the sky is falling. It isn’t. And I mean that even if this film bombs, which I sincerely doubt it will happen. 

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DInky said:

Despite what chuds would like people to believe, Captain Marvel was well-received. Even Infinity War and Endgame wouldn't have been able to boost Captain Marvel to over 1 billion if people genuinely disliked the movie.

that’s exactly what it did though. Would have made about Doctor Strange numbers without that boost and hype 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

that’s exactly what it did though. Would have made about Doctor Strange numbers without that boost and hype 

I personally refuse to believe IW/EG added over 400M to Captain Mavrel's gross but for the sake of the argument let's say it did Doctor Strange numbers (670M WW). The drop from original to sequel would still be a big anomaly for the MCU.

Also, I said that IW and EG wouldn't have been able to boost Captain Marvel's box office to over 1 billion IF viewers genuinely disliked the film. Do you really think the movie was disliked to the degree that it's causing a massive drop off?

Edited by DInky
  • Like 1

I just can't believe sub 40m. Its Veteran's Day Weekend. There is going to be nothing else playing in theaters next weekend. Has be SOME walk potential more than a normal Marvel film. FNAF is looking like a massive drop this weekend.  None of the new releases this weekend are going to make anything.  Could be lowest Veteran's Day weekend in 25 years (non covid 2020 or 2021)?

• Like 1