stealthyfrog

Borderlands | Lionsgate | Eli Roth to direct | Cate Blanchett is Lilith

On 7/10/2023 at 3:05 PM, SpiderByte said:

For comparison

I used to listen to Scriptnotes and Mazin is firmly of the opinion that if he wrote a movie, it is his movie be it good or bad. He has even explained his thinking on some plot contrivances in the movies listed above. For him to take his name off this movie means he no longer thinks its his movie. The plot likely has literally nothing in common with anything he wrote for him to take this step.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AJG said:

They make a new Mario game every 3-6 months.

There’s almost 300 Mario Games that have been released… 

And we got a new BOrderlands game just a few months ago

No, I am not comparing the  two, but Borderlands is a popular game franchise, the idea that iti's "old and washed up" is silly.

I agree the movie looks like it's a real stinker, but not for that reason.

Edited by dudalb

This thing is basically DOA. I remember that some early buzz from when the script was first running around was that it was actually very, very good but it sounds like something must have happened in execution. Reshoots, rewrites, sitting on a shelf for like two years, this screams bad from second one.

I blame getting Eli Roth to direct as the first warning sign.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

August is often used as dump too, it's almost like January. It's gonna be in post-production for more than 3 years when it's released. Sounds like a dead man walking, all red flags are there, even pseudonim for one of writers.

The red flags have been there for some time.

And yeah, being in post for that long is NOT a good sign.

I wonder a reason they are dumping it next year instead of this year is tax write off purposes.

4 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

This thing is basically DOA. I remember that some early buzz from when the script was first running around was that it was actually very, very good but it sounds like something must have happened in execution. Reshoots, rewrites, sitting on a shelf for like two years, this screams bad from second one.

I blame getting Eli Roth to direct as the first warning sign.

The original screenwriter has had his name taken off the film. That tells you a lot.

On 7/22/2023 at 7:00 PM, dudalb said:

And, of course, as the opening gets closer, we will have people stan for the film here. No matter how many red flags are up, you will find a few fools who will be beating the drums for it.

Fools?? What are you talking about?? This is gonna be a glorious dumpster fire and I wish I were still young enough to waste my time and money watching this marvelous thing at the theaters with my equally-easily-fascinated friend!

Edited by Arlborn

17 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Fools?? What are you talking about?? This is gonna be a glorious dumpster fire and I wish I were still young enough to waste my time and money watching this marvelous thing at the theaters with my equally-easily-fascinated friend!

No,I mean you will see people actually thinking the movie is giong to be somehow good.

As a huge MST3K fan I love laughing at really bad movies.

And yeah, this smells like the kind of film that Rifftracks will have a blast with.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 5:06 PM, Firepower said:

August is often used as dump too, it's almost like January. It's gonna be in post-production for more than 3 years when it's released. Sounds like a dead man walking, all red flags are there, even pseudonim for one of writers.

Being so long in the vault has NRVER been a good sign for a movie. 

And, that the original writer has had his name taken off it it a huge red flag.

Sad, because I am a huge fan of the gamesmbut this look like yet another bad video game movie. Uwe BOll lives, I suppose.