Eric the Marxist

Twisters | Uni/WB | July 19, 2024 | A remake (?) to the 1996 classic

8 hours ago, excel1 said:

Who tf is calling GP the young TC? That's crazy, he is not even close to young Josh Hartnett, let young Tom Cruise

Actually the term I use is the next Leo Di Capio.

Probme I have is that GP has yet to show the kind of acting chops that Cruise and De Capio have shown.  Cruise has not shown his acting chops in a long time, but he does have them. 

5 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Buddy, he's already surpassed Hartnett.

My take on Powell is let's see him take on some complex roles that are not run of the mill leading man roles like Leo De Capio does before I fall down and worship him the way some here do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Buddy, he's already surpassed Hartnett.

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Actually the term I use is the next Leo Di Capio.

Probme I have is that GP has yet to show the kind of acting chops that Cruise and De Capio have shown.  Cruise has not shown his acting chops in a long time, but he does have them. 

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

My take on Powell is let's see him take on some complex roles that are not run of the mill leading man roles like Leo De Capio does before I fall down and worship him the way some here do.

Right now? Of course. But he's nowhere near Josh's peak when he was "the next brad Pitt". Powell's current hype is nothing compared to Joshmania of Q2 2001-Q1 2022. Hartnett was a definitively overexposed, Glenn aint close to that be serious .

And GP isn't in the same universe as Leo lets be real 

Edited by excel1

49 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Powell is kinda cringe here.

Superman looks and sounds like Superman though. 

So good to see presales swell. I fully expect huge walk ups so lets see how high this MF can go.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Powell is kinda cringe here.

Superman looks and sounds like Superman though. 

I kind of think that is the point for Powell's character early in the movie. He is supposed to come off like a Full of Himself D Bag at first.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2024 at 10:16 PM, JimmyB said:

I think this is getting a B+ CinemaScore and the biggest complaint will be its boring.  Maybe, 5 mins of tornado action in the first 1 hour and 45 mins.  The tornado scenes are not very exciting.  I'll be shocked if that reported 200m budget is real.  The movie isnt epic and doesnt need to be seen on the biggest screen. 

Variety is reporting the budget is 155 million. Makes sense with what I saw.  The action is very limited.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/twisters-box-office-opening-weekend-estimate-1236073914/

Powell seems a good guy but i think the success of that romantic comedy was for tik tok and the actress popular on tik tok is Sydney Sweeney. And the success of Top Gun is for Tom. 

And i mean Anyone but you was  good hit, great legs, it was the first romantic comedy of such success in a while, but it's not like it was pretty woman - ghost - titanic or this cultural phenomenon. A normal moderate hit after all.

So yeah they're little bit forcing his status right now, i read an interview with McCounaghey saying "they say movie stars are dead, then Glen Powell happened". I mean seriously?  🤣I think 9 americans of 10 on street would say who? or more than an half doesn't recognize the face.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, efialtes76 said:

Of course!

Thanks, I ended up watching it last night - i really enjoyed it! Thought it would feel very dated but it doesn’t. Way more fun than I was expecting. Now for the sequel!

3 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Powell seems a good guy but i think the success of that romantic comedy was for tik tok and the actress popular on tik tok is Sydney Sweeney. And the success of Top Gun is for Tom. 

And i mean Anyone but you was  good hit, great legs, it was the first romantic comedy of such success in a while, but it's not like it was pretty woman - ghost - titanic or this cultural phenomenon. A normal moderate hit after all.

So yeah they're little bit forcing his status right now, i read an interview with McCounaghey saying "they say movie stars are dead, then Glen Powell happened". I mean seriously?  🤣I think 9 americans of 10 on street would say who? or more than an half doesn't recognize the face.

Yeah, no douvt Powell is being pushed as The Next BIg Thing.

But the key is longtiivity. That is what gave Cruise and De Pario the status they have; They have been popular for a long time, and have done serous work which is not standard "Leading Man" stuff. Let's come back in five years and see what happens.

And I would say Timothee has just as big claim to being the Next BIg Thing as GP. And Timothee wiht his playing Bob Dylan is trying to establish his "I can do more then standard Leading Msn" credentials.