Eric the Marxist

Twisters | Uni/WB | July 19, 2024 | A remake (?) to the 1996 classic

2 hours ago, Alexander said:

OS numbers seem shocking. This could easily finish under 300M WW.

I never expected this movie will slip to Into the storm range in overseas but below 300m is unlikely. Cannot under the movie is doing so bad overseas. either Tornado is deemed too niche for overseas audience or WB screw up the international marketing .

It was decent but not the Top Gun: Maverick of sequels like some of the reviews claimed. A fun watch in theaters but could see it doing bad overseas as there isn't much nostalgia for the first or tornadoes aren't as common.

Looked like it was opening similar to Creed 3 in comparable territories last weekend. If domestic hits $200mil should be able to get over $300mil global, though still a pretty disappointing overseas turnout to start.

Edited by AniNate

Considering how much the marketing has targeted the Midwest of this country it's probably not a shock it's doing so poorly OS. We are probably lucky it seems to be doing pretty decently outside of that area in this country and did not become a slightly bigger Horizon or something. 

• Like 1

As far as disaster movies go, the destruction in Twisters is also pretty subdued and smaller in scale. The original was too, but OS audiences have been exposed to many massive disaster CGI fests since.

On 6/27/2024 at 12:55 PM, Speedorito said:

This doesn’t seem wrong at the moment. Pre-sales aren’t huge, buzz isn’t strong at the moment, and “Midwest walkups” are non-existent until they actually happen.

It really is giving The Fall Guy vibes.

Twisters OD > Fall Guy OW?

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

Twisters OD > Fall Guy OW?

I'm mostly glad they seem to have left but would kind of like to see them with egg on their face right now.

Realistically though they'd probably just focus on the "ya but it's flopping overseas" part

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I'm mostly glad they seem to have left but would kind of like to see them with egg on their face right now.

Realistically though they'd probably just focus on the "ya but it's flopping overseas" part

Yeah they set up a alt account to troll Gladiator 2 because they had been warned already not to , got banned with the alt and have not been back since. Oh well

You don't know that. Haven't had this kind of matchup before and it has consistently been surpassing expectations. Often when movies beat expectations opening weekend they continue to beat expectations the following weekends.

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

You don't know that. Haven't had this kind of matchup before and it has consistently been surpassing expectations. Often when movies beat expectations opening weekend they continue to beat expectations the following weekends.

Yeah this is not like  Dead Reckoning last year which opened  up pretty much to where it was tracking and you could feel it's buzz getting swamped by Barbenheimer . This is doing better than tracking  and does not feel like it is getting swamped by Deadpool buzz. They seem to be coexisting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah this is not like  Dead Reckoning last year which opened  up pretty much to where it was tracking and you could feel it's buzz getting swamped by Barbenheimer . This is doing better than tracking  and does not feel like it is getting swamped by Deadpool buzz. They seem to be coexisting.

srill don’t understand why they opened it where they did. Interesting the first Twister was in a similar position back in the day where it was scheduled one week before Mission Impossible but they smartly moved it up one week 

11 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah they set up an alt account to troll Gladiator 2 because they had been warned already not to , got banned with the alt and have not been back since. Oh well

Um…I don’t know what this alt account or trolling stuff is but as you can see (and if you checked the banned members site) I was not banned.

13 hours ago, AniNate said:

Yes, I can admit I was wrong, it happens (though I did also say it would be a whole lot closer to Dial of Destiny than Top Gun Maverick and that it could be the next Independence Day: Resurgence).

This is kinda why I took a break from here (and why I should probably stay away).

47 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

My wife and I were sort of planning to see this on Sunday....(we were busy Friday evening and Saturday) but cancelled after the Biden news came down.

I do not appreciate his performances since I just do not care about actors much.  When thinking about politics I regularly use movies as escapism, but that means going to my favorite directors.