chasmmi

The OFFICIAL BOT Top 100 Foreign Films of all Time Ever List Begins...

8th: Oldboy - Korea (2002)

1 Top 5, 1 Top 10,

214 pts 

Assumed Plot: This film snuck ahead of The Handmaiden at the very last moment to win the prize of top Park Chan Wook film. Oldboy is kind of the Mario of Korean cinema. Whether it is your preferred genre, or regardless whether you love it or hate it, if you have watched a certain number of Korean films, you have 99% watched Oldboy. 

Famous for its mad twists, dark tones, and hallway hammer scene that even inspired an episode of Daredevil, Oldboy is a great film. It may only be my 4th or 5th favourite Park Chan Wook film (Sympathy with Mr. Vengeance does some great things that sometimes makes me think it may beat Oldboy for 4th place), it is wonderful, iconic cinema, and worthy of a top 10 finish.

I forget if I have mentioned this before, but the other massive strength Park has is his use of sound in film. Both music and effects is always spot on and its a delight to hear. 

This brings Park up to four films on this list and that is no mean feat. He is about due to make a new film sometime soon as he usually spends around 3-4 years between projects if you don't count I'm a Cyborg and its okay. And let's be fair, there is no rule in existence that can harness the bonkersness of I'm a Cyborg but its okay. 

Korea is now up to 8 and Hong Kong is vanquished. Will Italy be next? This is also another spot that has been denied to the top 3 in our countdown. This is also the 4th Korean film in the top 15, and the top 15 is only 8 films old. 

From Amazon user, Cloudy Day

As a first-time watcher of "Old Boy" and a lover of special features, I ordered this Collector's Edition because of all the hype about the film. The movie stands alone in it's greatness. The special features are one of the best I've ever seen, very extensive behind-the-scenes footage. I've never laughed so hard watching over two hours of the Video Diary because this cast liked to have fun between takes. It's all English subtitled. You get not one, not two, but three commentaries for the movie. One deleted scene shows one of the greatest movie kisses, meant to be used in lieu of the sex scene when needed. The deleted scenes and the featurettes are subtitled in English too. The footage at Cannes when Oldboy was introduced to the world and won the Grand Prix prize is still thrilling. One of my favorite movies ever!

Films by Nation

17 - France

16 - India

15 - Japan

9 - Italy

8 - South Korea

7 - Hong Kong

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

1 - Brazil

• Like 7
  • Disbelief 1

7th: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Taiwan (2000)

2 Top 10,

215 pts 

Assumed Plot: This was a film that transcended cinema and box office back in the day. It was a revelation. So much so that it would be crazy if somehow I never managed to see it. Well, ummm...

This is a martial arts film about two fighting masters, each the very elite at their chosen style. One, a disciple in the way of the tiger, crouched, patient, ready to pounce. The other versed in the ways of the dragon, stealthy, concealed and you never see him coming. One day these two men will clash, and thus so will two ways of life. Only one will survive. 

wait, one of those men might in fact be a woman! 

I was not aware that this got nominated for 10 Oscars, winning 4. (Although like another Asian Oscar darling, it was ignored in all acting categories). It is a shame that for whatever reason, the momentum was finished by the time House of Flying Daggers came about. 

When in doubt over the nationality of a film, I default to its Best Foreign Film Oscar classification in order to not have to think for myself. So the gods decided that this was Taiwanese and as such keeps China on 1 film. This is also yet another swing and a miss for the top 3. 

From Amazon user, Kid at heart and Renaissance Man

I’m not kidding. It really is the Chinese version of Sense and Sensibility...with some highly choreographed martial arts, adventure, and a bit of violence. There’s also a very brief sexual scene, so I wouldn’t recommend it for children under 13 years old. Great plot. Excellent acting and character development, and some of the best scenery and cinematography you’ll ever see. One of the very best musical scores...ever! Yo Yo Ma on the cello is perfect for this emotional, moving film. It’s one of my favorite movies.

Films by Nation

17 - France

16 - India

15 - Japan

9 - Italy

8 - South Korea

7 - Hong Kong

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

1 - Brazil

1 - Taiwan

• Like 7

6th: Ran - Japan (1985)

1 First, 1 Top 5, 1 Top 10,

219 pts 

Assumed Plot: This is going to come as a great shock to those of you that know the limitless infinity that is my film depth of knowledge, but I have no idea what this is. 

I am thinking it is not anime, so therefore if it is this high, it must be something by Akira Kurosawa and thus is likely about a samurai going on a journey of self discovery in black and white and full of people that made interesting hairstyle choices. A shiny penny also says that the trailer calls it a masterpiece, a triumph of filmmaking, and a classic.

Turns out  it was in colour. That was unexpected.

I'm pretty sure that must mean Kurosawa is going to top the directors charts right? I know Park Chan Wook is on four films, The three colours homme is likely on 3, and a bunch of the Italian and French films are possibly from one director. But it feels like I have stumbled my way through guessing Akira films dozens of times. Oh wait, there's that other Japanese dude isn't there...

You felt it was coming, but finally Japan has pulled level with India in second place. This has been a brave fight from India to try and keep its grip on the top 2, but now Japan is looking as ominous as Godzilla standing over the Taj Mahal, licking its lips. 

From Amazon user, STp

When I first watched Ran many years ago I sat there transfixed, absorbing every word, every painful moment, almost suffocating in the non-stop tension and sorrow. As far as I'm concerned, Ran was and is the definition of an 'Epic' movie. Although, I admit I am a huge Kurosawa fan so....yes.....very biased. For those who have panned this film, I hope you have the patience to give it another go or watch one of Kurosawa's other classics such as Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Ikiru, Yojimbo.....to many to list but worth the time if you appreciate film.

Films by Nation

17 - France

16 - India

16 - Japan

9 - Italy

8 - South Korea

7 - Hong Kong

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

1 - Brazil

1 - Taiwan

• Like 6

5th: A Separation - Iran (2011)

3 Top 5, 2 Top 10,

228 pts 

Assumed Plot: This was absolutely the little film who could in this list. It just refused to drop outside the top 5 regardless of how much higher profile films were surrounding it.

This is another film that I know nothing about, but I am guessing it is a newer film based around a family separated thanks to one of the periods of unrest in Iranian history (I am going to guess the revolution). It is probably going to be a film that I will see the trailer of and think 'yep, that looks pretty dramatic and good", 

YEah that looks pretty good. Again Asia kicking Europe's arse with the quality of the trailers. 

It is a certain kind of impressive that we can be at the top 5 and there are still films I haven't seen or even heard of isn't it? (spoiler, I haven't watched 4th or 3rd either :D Either way, this is the first official Iranian entrant in the top 100 (Persepolis qualified as French), and and thus is the highest new entry for any country on this countdown (I know, I know).

So, with four films to reveal, there is 1 film covering the top 3 places. It could not be closer right? 

From Amazon user, Kindle Customer

A Separation is really A revelation.
Life goes as well as it can for a typical Iranian family until the wife decides to get a separation .
The movie begins with both of them stating their reasons to the judge :
We don't see the judge, they are speaking to us the viewers , this technique used most effectively on Rashomon , 1950 celebrated Akira
KUROSAWA film , is brilliant and from there on the linear but fast cinematic approach takes over like a hurricane and never stops. There aren't enough words to describe the human emotions so well depicted by all the characters, my favorable is the daughter ( which happens to be the directors own ) she is quietly suffering and trying to get her parents together as they all go thru this traumatic experience , the story told as I mentioned before is so dramatic the screenplay so elegant that at the end which contains the most harrowing personal cruel moment for the daughter as the judge asks to decide whose parents she wants to stay with and she keeps saying yes yes yes as the judge keeps asking?????
The most memorable film of 2011!

Films by Nation

17 - France

16 - India

16 - Japan

9 - Italy

8 - South Korea

7 - Hong Kong

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

1 - Brazil

1 - Taiwan

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

6th: Ran - Japan (1985)

1 First, 1 Top 5, 1 Top 10,

219 pts 

Assumed Plot: This is going to come as a great shock to those of you that know the limitless infinity that is my film depth of knowledge, but I have no idea what this is. 

I am thinking it is not anime, so therefore if it is this high, it must be something by Akira Kurosawa and thus is likely about a samurai going on a journey of self discovery in black and white and full of people that made interesting hairstyle choices. A shiny penny also says that the trailer calls it a masterpiece, a triumph of filmmaking, and a classic.

Turns out  it was in colour. That was unexpected.

I'm pretty sure that must mean Kurosawa is going to top the directors charts right? I know Park Chan Wook is on four films, The three colours homme is likely on 3, and a bunch of the Italian and French films are possibly from one director. But it feels like I have stumbled my way through guessing Akira films dozens of times. Oh wait, there's that other Japanese dude isn't there...

You felt it was coming, but finally Japan has pulled level with India in second place. This has been a brave fight from India to try and keep its grip on the top 2, but now Japan is looking as ominous as Godzilla standing over the Taj Mahal, licking its lips. 

From Amazon user, STp

When I first watched Ran many years ago I sat there transfixed, absorbing every word, every painful moment, almost suffocating in the non-stop tension and sorrow. As far as I'm concerned, Ran was and is the definition of an 'Epic' movie. Although, I admit I am a huge Kurosawa fan so....yes.....very biased. For those who have panned this film, I hope you have the patience to give it another go or watch one of Kurosawa's other classics such as Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Ikiru, Yojimbo.....to many to list but worth the time if you appreciate film.

Films by Nation

17 - France

16 - India

16 - Japan

9 - Italy

8 - South Korea

7 - Hong Kong

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

1 - Brazil

1 - Taiwan

Since you're a Brit you should watch this, since it's Kurosawa loosely adapting King Lear.

4th: Pan's Labyrinth - Mexico (2005)

1 First, 3 Top 5, 1 Top 10,

258 pts 

Assumed Plot: I thought this was Spain too, but it was submitted by Mexico so Mexican it is. This is a very Spanish film though. I mean, I assume, I never saw it. I just know it is sort of about the Spanish civil was and there is a weird Hand-eye monster thing. 

This film made a big play for the absolute top spot for a while, but it eventually fell away and ended up in what is still a pretty a-maze-ing finishing position. 

That looks pretty good also. Some of these best films ever are possbily actually pretty good folks. 

In my defense, I did see both Bill and Ted 3 and Palm Springs last weekend and they are the top 2 films of the year, so I do watch things. Just not weird, gothic  Spanish... I mean Mexican things. 

And now as it stands, France remains one up with 3 to play. Will they hold on?

From Amazon user, The Critic

It is nothing that i expected instead of the light hearted fantasy film i was expecting(which i was still expecting to enjoy) you get a very dark, violent realistic movie that sugar coats nothing. The acting superb, the story telling is equally impressive and the soundtrack and special effects are spot on. There isn't much i really want to say about the story being as it would be very easy to spoil one of the many unexpected twists in this movie. If you are fine with dark and violent movies you really should consider watching this because it is nothing less than a master piece.

Films by Nation

17 - France

16 - India

16 - Japan

9 - Italy

8 - South Korea

7 - Hong Kong

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

3 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

1 - Brazil

1 - Taiwan

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

isn't seven samurai the one that hasn't shown up yet or did i miss it? that's probs the top 3.

yeah could be. This was closer than I expected. Expected more Ghibli films in Top 20 TBH, as those are the one with most exposure in West.

Surprised Taare Zameen Par missed.

and LMAO on Parasite topping. who would have thought. or Chasmmi gonna surprise again.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

3rd: The Seven Samurai - Japan (1954)

2 First, 3 Top 5,

280 pts 

Assumed Plot: So I have not seen this one either, but I did see the remake and thus can pretty accurately describe the plot. A group of travelling Japanese circus performers happen to come across a town that is being ravaged by an evil landlord who is hell bent on stealing all of their nuts and berries. 

The circus performers are mistaken for a band of samurai and as such are recruited to defend the town which they do so by creating a mechanical Kaiju that scares off the oppressors and possibly saves the town. That is until their deceit is found out and then the would be gang of faux samurai have to actually fight for themselves and but it all on the line for freedom!

Oh I also saw the remake of Magnificent Seven come to think of it, so yeah, I have basically seen this in a spiritual sense. 

another film for Kurosawa and the Japan train just keeps on trucking. They had a three pronged attack on this countdown with their strength in depth from the Black and White era, the field of animation, and (although a little less so) in highly regarded modern offerings. 

Japan are now level with France. There are two films to go, I am trying my best to pretend that Spirited Away is not one of them and that possibly La Femme Nikita may be one of them. It is a hard trick to pull off, but I do think I am nailing it. 

From Amazon user, Mitchel Louis

I have 30 days to blow, literally, my job is seasonal- and I'm legally bound to be in my house......... For 30 whole days. Anyways, I figured I'd google "best films of all time" (AND WATCH EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM), well, I must say... I now know why this film made the cut.... BRILLIANT.... God i love this film... it's long like Titanic... But just like Titanic... That time is going to FLY by.... and before you know it you'll be seeing Jack floating off into the distant abyss as the female he just lost his virginity to watching is horror and clings to a ......... wait a minute thats the wrong movie... BUT U GET THE IDEA... This movie is a CLASSIC... IF YOU are reading what I am typing right now.... Dont just get this and watch it.... NO NO NO No... U make it a special occasion... You gets some good popcorn... u get your favorite blanket... u turn off ur cell phone.... U get a bottle of vodka (i legally cannot do this)........ whatever you want to do... and THEN you sit down and watch this masterpiece.. great intro - slow to start - it gradually builds and before you know it you'll find yourself falling in love with your favorite character of the film.... MIND YOU.. This was filmed like 457 years ago. The mere fact they were able to pull this off then at such high quality even to this day is a beautiful achievement. I do not recall seeing boobs though... so if you love boobs.... Check out Titanic. Kate is great, has a great pair.... Now that i've described this like one of the french girls I used to see... i'm out of here.

Films by Nation

17 - France

17 - Japan

16 - India

9 - Italy

8 - South Korea

7 - Hong Kong

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

3 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

1 - Brazil

1 - Taiwan

1 - Iran

• Like 9

gg japan 

Pan's Labyrinth was my #1 so really glad to see it in the top 5

It's a movie sitting pretty much alone in its genre (Dark Fantasy/War) which is why I love it

Also, since A Separation you forgot to add Iran in the "Films by nation" section.

It's not over yet but... we have good tastes, people!

2nd: Spirited Away - Japan (2001)

1 First, 3 Top 5, 1 top 10

340 pts 

Assumed Plot: Spirited Away has appeared in the top 5 of about 50% of all lists that I have ever done (As I to the best animated films usually), but yet again it cannot take the top spot. 

Now don't get me wrong, I think Spirited Away is a great film. 4th best Ghibli animation and maybe a top 25 all time animation. I do not however hold it in the crazy high echelons of high regard that some do. I think Grave is the best outright film, I think Marnie has the best emotional climax, I think Mononoke is the most epic. Spirited Away, is more very solid in each department. 

This is also probably me talking crazy, but in the way that I feel Brave is the most Studio Ghibli that a Pixar/Disney film has ever gone, I feel like this is the most Disney a Ghibli film has ever gone. But that is just one buffoon's opinion. 

Miyazaki drags Japan over the line to secure first place in the countdown. France and India put in a big effort, but it was not to be.

Funnily enough if we had done a top 120, Japan would have absolutely walked this countdown as they had films in 101st, 109th, 110th, 111th, 116th, 118th, 119th and 120th.

India would have then tied with France as they added to their total in 105th, 114th, 115th, while France had entries in 106th and 113th.  

From Amazon user, Phred

Spirited Away is the Studio Ghibli, Miyazaki film that made of me a full on fan. I am now taking a moment to make all of the squee! sounds a person one tenth my age might make in reviewing this movie.

To forestall the flow of superlatives that this movie deserves allow for a little admin.

Spirited Away is Family Friendly. Having a young girl as the hero may make it a tough sell for small boys, but it is such a well told story, they may let themselves be won over.
It is certainly aimed at the younger family members, but in my house, two adults, no kids it is a favorite movie. Miyazaki has made a movie with enough sophistication and depth to be more than kiddie show. Studio Ghibli as usual has made this such a beautiful movie, that it can be enjoyed as an animated art show even with the sound off.

Spirited Away is what a fairy story should be. It contains almost all of the classical elements, but it refuses to be easy to anticipate. There is always an unexpected detail, or another beautiful image that make this a viewing delight.

Films by Nation

18 - Japan

17 - France

16 - India

9 - Italy

8 - South Korea

7 - Hong Kong

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

3 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

1 - Brazil

1 - Taiwan

1 - Iran

• Like 9
  • Astonished 1

Congrats Japan. I didn't expected India to give that many films TBH. On top of that I didn't expect many of the films which made to list to make it, likes of Drishyam, Kal Ho Na Ho, etc.

There are few films which didn't make to list, but I want you guys to watch, but first...

First is Tumbbad.

This you can say is sorta Pan Labyrinth but better. It is also gorgeous made with pennies with sheer hardwork. You can watch it on Prime Video.

Second is Super Deluxe. Available on Netflix.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

meh, ten years from now it's probably still gonna be topping lists like this. regardless of personal opinions of it (wasn't near the top of my own list), there's no other recent film where it's total canonization in best film lists forever is an easy call like that one

• Like 1