chasmmi

The OFFICIAL BOT Top 100 Foreign Films of all Time Ever List Begins...

31st: The Raid - Indonesia (2012)

1 Top 5, 1 Top 10

139 pts 

Assumed Plot: This is a film about a raid. They are raiding a school, maybe a hospital, something like that. And while they are raiding they have to fight and punch people one by one until they get to the final boss upon which a 47 minute one on one fight sequence takes place. Raid Over.

Clearly one to have us reaching for the tissues. 

This film and its sequel (107th place) really flew the flag for Indonesia (and Wales) in this list. At one point it looked like both would make the top 100 until Raid 2 just missed the cut. They were still however the top two Indonesian films with the only other entries being The Night Comes for Us (188th), and The Act of Killing (223rd).  

Indonesia is now the 17th nation to appear on this list. Whether it is the last one, that is still to be seen. 

From Amazon user, Justin Miller

I'm an action movie junkie, easily one of the best action movies to come out in the last 20 years. The fact they did this on a 1 million dollar budget makes this movie even more impressive. Some of the death scenes are just imaginative and amazing, do yourself a favor and watch this and then the sequel Raid 2 if you haven't already, these 2 movies will literally blow your mind with how well done they are. Just showed this to my roommate who isn't a fan of movies with subtitles or Kung fu movies, and he absolutely loved it.

If you're at home because you called in sick to work, or you run into bad weather on a weekend, just stay in and watch this and Raid 2 back to back, you won't be disappointed.

Also would recommend Dredd (not your Sylvester Stallone's Judge Dredd) if you enjoy this movie, similar premise and they came out around the same time, I prefer Raid, but both are pretty awesome.

Films by Nation

15 - France

12 - India

9 - Japan

7 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

4 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

3 - Germany

2 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 5

3 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Indonesia is now the 17th nation to appear on this list. Whether it is the last one, that is still to be seen. 

At the very least we have Spain (Pan's Labyrinth) and Brazil (City Of God) to come.

• Like 1

30th: Diwale Dulhani Le Jayenge - India (1995)

2 Top 5

140 pts 

Assumed Plot: Okay, gonna try to translate this title without the internet's help... Diwale I am going to be assuming is connected to light or may even be me writing a typo of Diwali. Jayenge is future tense for go right? (god its been like 14 years since I knew all this), Dulhani - Screw it, it sounds like a surname. I am bad at this. 

Ok, Ya know what, this Title in English is Diwale Dulhani is on the Way. Its story of a guy called Diwale Dulhani and his journey to somewhere important where he learns some important things about himself, his family and his past.

...and he meets a beautiful sari-wearing Indian girl of whom his mother would not approve that he falls in love with.  

Wait!! train station, a guy leaving a girl. That suggests travel and relationship entanglements are involved. But possibly it is instead a boy of whom daddy would not approve. 

Also is this finally a Bollywood that fits the stereotype of dancing through the Alps as a substitute for Kashmir? But then they're in London... A London with mountains. Are they pretending that just outside London is mountains? What is this total nonsense? (Also my original title I wrote did have a typo, it was diLwale). 

This brings India up to 13 films and closer to France ahead than Japan behind. It's a coin toss now whether they need to focus on catching France or keeping Japan at bay.

From Amazon user, Gypsi

Simran (Kajol) lives in London and is betrothed to the son of her father's best friend in Punjab. The summer before she is to be married, she takes a European rail vacation with friends, and meets Raj (Shah Rukh Khan). They don't realize that they have fallen in love until they have parted. Raj then follows Simran to India, determined to win her father's approval for their marriage.

In this romantic comedy/drama, family values and respect for elders is placed in high regard, even while portraying that the most hardened of hearts must be softened in the face of true love. Both Kajol and Khan are excellent in their roles, maturing their characters perfectly. The supporting cast is stellar. While there is no breath-taking choreography, the songs are lovely and memorable. The costumes, cinematography, locations, and sets are all beautifully done. Overall, this is a funny, sweet, and serious movie that is a must-watch for any Bollywood fan.

Films by Nation

15 - France

13 - India

9 - Japan

7 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

4 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

3 - Germany

2 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 6

29th: My Neighbour Totoro - Japan (1988)

1 First, 1 Top 10

142 pts 

Assumed Plot: Two girls move into the countryside and see some dust ball things. Then nothing happens for 15 monutes. They meet a giant rabbit/cat monster sleepy thing, it's cute and then they proceed to do nothing for 20 minutes. It starts to rain and so the nightmarish cat bus from hell arrives and brings with it another 20 minutes of nothing. 

Finally an inciting incident threatens to break out, but it turns out to be a false alarm and the film meanders to its conclusion of nothingness. A Classic Masterpiece, 15 stars. Compelling

It's an interesting take to open a trailer with an image that will haunt your nightmares until the point you relent and face your fears by watching the film.

There are two Ghibli films that I believe stand among the best animated (or non-animated) films I've ever seen. There are two Ghibli films I think are exceptionally good. There are two studio Ghibli films are that nice decent films. And there are two that I think are goddam awful. You can guess for yourself which group I put Totoro in. It's the same group in which I put Howl's Moving Castle which finished 107th.

And Now Japan is sticking to India like glue. Doing its best to turn a potential two horse race into a potential three horse race. It also becomes the third nation to cross the 10 film mark.

From Amazon user, K Cat

This was a great movie. I knew nothing about it except the reviews so I didn't know what to expect. There were no bad parts in the movie so my daughter isn't afraid to watch it over and over again. It is peaceful so she can fall asleep to it. It is entertaining so she wsnts to watch it many times. I like it so much and she does too that we have looked for a part 2 but we couldn't find one so we are thinking of trying other movies by the same person. It helps her with her manners too. The children are well-behaved and it encourages her to want to help out and clean up after herself. She wants to be like the little girl in the movie. It is hard to find a movie without scary or negative parts. This is a keeper.

Films by Nation

15 - France

13 - India

10 - Japan

7 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

4 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

3 - Germany

2 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

28th: Baahubali: The Conclusion - India (2017)

1 Top 5, 1 Top 10

147 pts 

Assumed Plot: I am goign to stick my neck out on the line and guess that whatever epic story was begun in the Beginning is in turn concluded in the Conclusion. Call it divine intervention, but that is my call for this one. 

Yeah that looks very conclusiony. 

I said it about the first film trailer and I will say it again. This does look incredibly epic and very potentially worth watching (along with about 38 of the films revealed so far). It also joins a very elite club of franchises/trilogies/ series to get more than one of their films on the list alongside the Three Colours films (that actually may be it so far)

It also brings India back again to within one of France and once again challenging for that top spot as we get close to the bitter end of this battle. 

From Amazon user, LA Henrikson

Movie is awesome. Just as good as the first with lots of colors, powerful music, and over-the-top action that I love about these Bollywood films. Amazing sets, a huge cast of extras, and the infinite screen presence of the characters. I love how it's brightly lit and how they use slow motion. It's movie magic at its best. A tragic fairy tale but amazingly told. I will be buying these on disc.

Films by Nation

15 - France

14 - India

10 - Japan

7 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

4 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

3 - Germany

2 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1

28 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

30th: Diwale Dulhani Le Jayenge - India (1995)

2 Top 5

140 pts 

Assumed Plot: Okay, gonna try to translate this title without the internet's help... Diwale I am going to be assuming is connected to light or may even be me writing a typo of Diwali. Jayenge is future tense for go right? (god its been like 14 years since I knew all this), Dulhani - Screw it, it sounds like a surname. I am bad at this. 

Ok, Ya know what, this Title in English is Diwale Dulhani is on the Way. Its story of a guy called Diwale Dulhani and his journey to somewhere important where he learns some important things about himself, his family and his past.

...and he meets a beautiful sari-wearing Indian girl of whom his mother would not approve that he falls in love with.  

Ahh finally.

BTW its Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge

Dilwale - Lover/Big Hearted

Dulhania - Bride/Girl

Le Jayenge - Will Take

Lover/Big Hearted will take the Girl/Bride

Remember you did the assumed plot of I think Rang De Basanti, that's first half of this film. 😛

12 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

And Now Japan is sticking to India like glue. Doing its best to turn a potential two horse race into a potential three horse race. It also becomes the third nation to cross the 10 film mark.

This and Princess Mononoke are the two Ghibli films I don't get the hype, more so this.

Anyways, I mean you can't stop the winner at 3rd 😛

Wishful Thinking 1: Bad Guy - Korea (2001)

Assumed Plot: Kim Ki Duk is a director that I am surprised doesn't get mentioned more often on a forum like this. He was the festival darling Korean among the festival darling Korean Directors. Back when Bong, Park, and Kim (Jee Woon) were creating the blockbusters that kickstarted the film branch of the Korean wave, Kim Ki Duk was winning best director awards in Berlin (Samaritan Girl), and Venice (3-Iron), before later getting recognition also in 2011 at Cannes (Arirang). In fact he has won three awards to date at Venice. 

His films however were... troublesome to say the least. They explored dark subject matters and handled them in a way that was either incredibly bold and genius, or horribly  spiteful and chauvinistic depending on the audience;'s take. Of those films, Bad Guy is perhaps the most controversial (wait there is still Samaritan Girl), it is the story of a college girl who is trapped into a life of prostitution. It is incredibly dark with a message that leaves you feeling quite troubled as to whether it was a great film of an assault on your sense of morality. 

Either way, it is great to see Kim Get some recognition as he is a unique director that should be experienced. (If this sounds too strong then Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring or 3-Iron is probably the best easier watch to get one started.) 

The perfect Sunday afternoon light-hearted watch

It has been far too long since we have seen a Korean film on this list, so huzzah for Bad Guy.

From Amazon user, Daniel david Webster

There are several elements of this movie that make it a 5 star review. First off the plot is really the disassembling of the Bad Guy's mind, and how this entropy reveals anthropological clues to humans and prostitution. The American version would be titled the machinations of a pimp's mind. The story is easily blended to other cultures and ethnicities; the bad guy persona is found in about all cultures worldwide. There are several levels this movie, but the elusive quandry of what allows rational individuals to imprison themselves in difficult situations is never answered even with all of the answers revealed. It is understanding that in some cultures once a woman is branded a harlot, she is not allowed into society and is outcast to her denizen. That denizen in this movie is an inert character and one of revolting tedium.

The small apartment where Bad Guy and his henchmen reside and the whorehouse they watch over along with the bedroom with its two way mirror are haunting. Their inescapable nature sears into the screen and brandish all that is evil about human trafficking. This movie is unredemptive and unapologetic with the theme of those who are on the fringe of society. This is particularly clear in a scene below a mighty bridge, when the gang sits and talks, that their labor contributed nothing to society's progress and edification; the bridge being the perfect metaphor that the rest of society labors legitimately. No background or family is revealed for any character making the mental constuct of this setting even more isolating.The only unnerving portions were the musical sequences at the beginning, otherwise it is a masterpiece. There is no genre under this which would fit, erotica is not and neither is love.

Films by Nation

15 - France

14 - India

10 - Japan

7 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

5 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

3 - Germany

2 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 4

Wishful Thinking 2: Kuch Kuch Hota Hai - India (1998)

1 Top 5

149 pts 

Assumed Plot: A Classic College love story starring Shah Rukh Khan as the most obviously college aged student ever, he obviously isn't 35 how dare you suggest role. This is a love triangle (or was it more of a love square?) film that possibly was the film that transitioned Bollywood from its classic style into what it became over the turn of the 21st century. 

There are some great, fun songs in this film as well as a wonderful overarching melodrama that only India can truly pull off. It is a fun, yet dramatic film that also really shows off the charisma that all of its cast had. 

The total opposite of what the previous film was. 

And we have another Indian film on the list!! Is the boyhood dream gonna finally come true? Shah Rukh must be threatening to be the most present actor on the list at this rate...

From Amazon user, Gypsi

The film begins with Rahul (Shah Rukh Khan) mourning his wife Tina (Rani Mukerji). Tina has left letters for her daughter, Anjali (Sana Saeed), the last of which tells the story of how Tina accidentally came in between Rahul and his college best friend, also named Anjali, and asks young Anjali to try to find the adult Anjali (Kajol) and bring her and Rahul together. When they meet again, Anjali and Rahul have immediate attraction, but Anjali is already engaged to Aman (Salman Khan).

The plot of this sweet film is enjoyable, if predictable, and while the musical numbers were good, with one being memorable. The story is divided into two parts: college life and adult life. Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol do a wonderful job playing both college students and mature adults. Kajol's emotional acting was also good. Mukerji, in her breakthrough role was natural and polished. Sana Saeed, in her first role, was the life of the movie, though. Overall, it's easy to see why it has become a classic, as it is an example of Bollywood at it's best.

Films by Nation

15 - France

15 - India

10 - Japan

7 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

5 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

3 - Germany

2 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 7

Wishful Thinking 3: Castaway on the Moon - Korea (1998)

2 Top 10

150 pts 

Assumed Plot: If there was a Korean film I would be okay with Hollywood remaking, it is this one. The premise is fantastic: essentially Robinson Crusoe in the middle of a metropolis. 

A loser businessman is dumped and fired on the same day, so he decides to throw himself in the Han River and end it all. However, he is washed up on an uninhabited, unvisited islet in the middle of the river. As he is unable to swim and nobody will notice him there, he is forced to try and survive a castaways existence despite being in the middle of 10,000,000 people. The only person who knows he is there is an agoraphobe who watches him through a telescope out of her window, but she does not communicate with the outside world so doesn't tell anybody else. 

It is a wonderful little film that I am glad received the love it deserved and I recommend it wholeheartedly. 

Who wouldn't want to watch this as a comedy/drama vehicle for {insert actor here]

I just watched the trailer again and it made me remember just how damned wonderful this film is. It is a charming delight and must be watched by all. Also another notch for Korea.

From Amazon user, Amazon Customer

The film itself: I have watched it before online with the Korean Dialogue/Eng subs, and the film is outstanding (It makes my top 20). It is incredibly smart, funny at times even though I would not consider it a comedy.. and also has some great dramtic moments. Good acting from the 2 leads too. I had to take a gamble and hope there was English subs (I never watch dubbed versions even if they have it). If you speak Korean, get it.. the film is brilliant. I would also say the same thing if you can read Italian. If you are like me and english is your only language.. unfortunately you will have to resort to watching online or hoping it comes onto a streaming service.

Films by Nation

15 - France

15 - India

10 - Japan

7 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

6 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

3 - Germany

2 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 3

I think 3 Idiots, Lagaan and Taare Zameen Par will make it, that will take India to 18 and leave 22 films for other to share.

Pan Labyrinth, A Separation and 2-3 other non-France, Japan and Korea films should be there.

Leaving 17 for France, Japan and Korea to share. I think Korea will have atleast 7 more films including 2 of Bong. Japan also don't think will miss 7.

That gives India a very good chance to win this thing. Damn. 

This is turning out to be a thriller.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

8 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think 3 Idiots, Lagaan and Taare Zameen Par will make it, that will take India to 18 and leave 22 films for other to share.

Pan Labyrinth, A Separation and 2-3 other non-France, Japan and Korea films should be there.

Leaving 17 for France, Japan and Korea to share. I think Korea will have atleast 7 more films including 2 of Bong. Japan also don't think will miss 7.

That gives India a very good chance to win this thing. Damn. 

This is turning out to be a thriller.

I highly doubt Taare Zameen Par is gonna make it, I doubt Lagaan might as well (it doesn't deserve to be this high anyways). On the other hand great movies like Company ( a far superior Ajay Devgan movie than Drishyam), Satya, Page 3, Ship of Theseus, Paan Singh Tomar etc are gonna miss the list. 

• Like 1

Joint 26th: Come and See - Russia (1985)

1 First Place

152 pts 

Assumed Plot: And Russia returns to our list with a film that offers fuck all clues as to what it could be about. Is it a romantic film? Maybe? Is it from the Soviet Era? Maybe? Are there chickens involved? Probably. It is just going to forever be a mystery. 

So, I am going to guess that Come and See is a story of the Russian Mafia because why not. It is a person being seduced by the mafia lifestyle and the story of whether he can survive being sucked into the sleazy underworld of Moscow. 

Well that was a cheery trailer. I think bluebirds sprouted out of my computer monitor.

Turns out it was another Soviet Film and it means that by my reckoning that means the highest rated Non-Soviet Russian film is The Fool in 130th. The two I voted for faired pretty badly too with Russian Ark and Nightwatch both finishing outside the top 400.

This also gave us a brief respite from the ding dong battle between France and India at the top, but I don't see that staying away for much longer...

From Amazon user, Corey Jeffs

Blending styles seen in Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odessy and Francis Ford Coppola's Apocalypse Now, Russian director Elem Klimov creates one of the most affecting war drama's ever created. More of an experience than a movie, this anti-war film graces the screen with next-level cinematography and superb acting. If you enjoy raw looks into war or the human existence, this is a film for you.

Films by Nation

15 - France

14 - India

10 - Japan

7 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

4 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

3 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

Joint 26th: Lagaan - India (2001)

1 First Place

152 pts 

Assumed Plot: Aamir Khan returns to the countdown with the best film about cricket that has ever been made. It is a tragic story of a heroic group of local regimental British soldiers who graciously offer a town the chance to win free rent for a year over a friendly game of cricket. 

The film then takes an interesting turn as it focuses solely on the Indian antagonists as they come up with devilish and dastardly ways to trick and cunning their way to victory over the noble British boys. This is a film that has everything (apart from the surprising omission of the heroic hero song as the British soldiers bravely rise to the occasion and prepare to take on this untrustworthy group of Indian cricketers.  

Oh wait, maybe this is better....

It was meant to be a friendly wager, and those bastards are all getting together and making aggressive fist gestures. 

Everybody except @SchumacherFTW will tell you that Lagaan is a must watch film even if you do not like cricket. The sport is very front and centre, but actually caring or understanding the rules in the context of the film is about as important as following the rules of Baseketball really. 

Also, once again India draws level with France. This has been a crazy two-way battle for the ages (that I thought Italy would be a bigger part of), and it could well go to the wire. 

From Amazon user, Corey MikeNTxs

"Lagaan" is a tax levied by the British occupiers of India.

I first saw this film during movie night Friday at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston (The Texas Medical Center). By the end, I was telling the sponsors of the film that it was one of the most enjoyable films I'd ever seen, in spite of its length.

This is a Great Movie, with a totally different perspective of what it was like for Indians living under the British Raj. British and Indian actors, surprisingly good performances all-around, some recognizable Western names and faces in the cast, and both drama and humor along with a little history. It makes for a nice balance and some painless education with your entertainment.

This movie is VERY long; about 4 hours. Most of it is subtitled, but there is also spoken English mixed in. It provides a "You Are There" verisimilitude. In spite of the length, I found the movie engaging enough that the time almost flew by; at least as fast as 4 hours can fly.

Films by Nation

15 - France

15 - India

10 - Japan

7 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

4 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

3 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China