chasmmi

The OFFICIAL BOT Top 100 Foreign Films of all Time Ever List Begins...

6 hours ago, chasmmi said:

19th: Rashomon - Japan (1950)

1 top 5, 2 top 10 

173 pts 

I've not seen Rashomon, but I have heard enough praise for it to be surprised it ended this low. I was thinking this was potentially going to end up well inside the top 10, so that is a little surprise for me. It is a concept I am surprised never got remade in the West (for better or for worse).

Of the 9 Kurosawa films I have seen, this is the only one that didn't make my list. 

A good concept that I'm sure could be turned into a great film, but in Rashomon the stories are so wildly different from one another that the intended effect is completely lost.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tower said:

Of the 9 Kurosawa films I have seen, this is the only one that didn't make my list. 

A good concept that I'm sure could be turned into a great film, but in Rashomon the stories are so wildly different from one another that the intended effect is completely lost.

Same here. It's my least favorite of his...

• Like 1

16th: Chungking Express - Hong Kong (1994)

1 first, 1 top 5,

184 pts 

Assumed Plot: This is a film on a train: The fabled Chungking Express. Is this a precursor to Snowpiercer? Or a spiritual predecessor to Under Siege? I am here to tell you that it is both!

Set in a dark Hong Kong underworld, the Chungking express is a prisoner train from which inmates are kept continually moving around the island. Escape is impossible, their whole life is the train. Then there is a rebellion, a prisoner uprising as they seek to take over the train and escape. Only one lone prison worker - the prison cook, is left to rise up and stop this uprising before it is too late.

Not only was I wrong, there may not even be a flipping train.

The trailer made it feel a little similar to a Korean film named Shiri (but with a little less North KOrean spy/terrorism subplot). Once again, I am happy to see an Asian trailer choosing to divulge some plot to me and thus making me realise this could be a film I would enjoy watching. Thank you for that. 

This takes Hong Kong up to 6 films on our list and possibly on the verge of entering a no man's land where it can neither catch or be caught by other nations.

From Amazon user, Mehmoosh

Over the years, I've seen bits and clips of this film but never was able to see it in its entirety. It was a bit hard to find, but I was so excited to be able to find it online on DVD. It's a truly wonderful film, and as someone who has previously lived in Hong Kong it was lovely seeing one of my favorite cities on film. As is to be expected it's a great Wong Kar-Wai film, that combines amazing story-telling, cinematography and acting into an enjoyable and thought provoking film.

Films by Nation

17 - France

16 - India

13 - Japan

9 - Italy

6 - Hong Kong

4 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 8

15th: Train To Busan - Korea (2016)

0 Top 10,

184 pts (More votes)

Assumed Plot: Now this fucker is certainly on a train. It's pretty much world war Z on a train, but a much better second half and more consistent direction. This is one of the best zombie films of all time and is a great watch. 

As an aside, best not to remember how good this was if/when you watch peninsula as that film...loses its way in the third act. Has some great acting and some fun scenes before that (even if the director has clearly been watching a little too much Mad Max).

That's a great trailer btw...

Hooray, its a Korean film!! We haven't seen one of them since...51st PLACE!!! WTH people? That was like an eternity ago. I believe this is also the first Korean film to appear on this list not directed by Park Chan Wook or Bong Joon Ho. Let's double check...Yes, that is correct. 

And after all that blathering about Hong Kong being free alone in 5th place, Korea pegs them back by reaching 5 films and being on its own above Sweden and Germany. 

From Amazon user, Sean Brodrick

Last night, I watched "Train to Busan" streamed on Amazon. It cost $5; well worth it. It's the best zombie movie I have seen in a long time.
Zombie enthusiasts will want to know, these are "fast zombies." Also, the zombie virus appears to kill mammals and reanimate the corpses. One interesting twist is the zombies can't see well in the dark. I've always thought that would be the case in a "real" zombie apocalypse because dead eyes aren't going to dilate or focus. Also, these zombies are stupid in the extreme. Too stupid to open doors. They're biting, running machines.
Zombie movies are often allegories for something: Consumerism, terrorism, etc. "Train to Busan" is a study in selfishness. In other words, in a crisis, some people are quite selfless, and others are quite selfish.
In this movie, the higher up in status people are, they tend to be more selfish. So, the main character is a fund manager who is VERY selfish. But he does care about his very young daughter, who is extremely unselfish. This humanizes him, and allows him to succeed and grow.
But the highest status person is the CFO of a transport company. He's on the train, and he is extremely selfish. And it shapes and warps his reactions to everything.
Korea is a strict "no gun" society. So what do you in zombie uprising when there are no guns? This adds to the terror quite a bit.
Korean movies are often very dark in their outlook. And I thought this one was going to Nietzchian depths that would give the Germans pause, but it pulls back (a little) in the end.
Also, the movie made me very jealous of Korean trains. They are awesome.
Anyway, if you're a fan of zombie movies, I highly recommend "Train to Busan." You can stream it on Amazon for a nominal price.

Films by Nation

17 - France

16 - India

13 - Japan

9 - Italy

6 - Hong Kong

5 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 6

14 hours ago, chasmmi said:

17th: Your Name - Japan (2016)

1 top 5,

180 pts 

Assumed Plot: This is a fantasy body swap tale with a twist. A boy and a girl are switched for no discernible reason and frolicks ensue. Not only that, but each are transported to a world without cellphones, or newspapers, or computers, or anything at all, because otherwise pretty much the entirety of this film would be completely stupid and nonsensical, and borderline insulting to any sense of intellect or even base thinking and that certainly cannot be the case for a film that is the 17th best foreign film ever.

Watch other non-Ghibli films they say. Japan has other great animes they say... well I watched this one and that's why I can't trust y'all on Akira or Perfect Millennium Only in the Shell. 

Yep, this is apparently the best ever animated foreign film to not have the Ghibli logo adorned to it. Ghost in the Shell was 209th, Millennium Actress is 129th, Perfect Blue 158th. I mean, I've not seen any of those three, but they are surely better than Your Name. 

And the Japan creep continues. Up to 13 films now and India are certainly going to need to worry at this point. In fact, I am officially calling it: 3 Horse Race people!

You and your trash takes

• Haha 4

14th: Memories of Murder - Korea (2003)

0 Top 10,

186 pts 

Assumed Plot: Based on a real life serial killer mystery, this is Korea's answer to Zodiac (well... not really), but it is the classic pairing of Bong and Song doing what they do best. This film is well worth watching, especially if you are a fan of either/both of the aforementioned Korean talents. Both did go on to bigger and better things after this, but this is still a great film that was one of the forebearers of the Korean cinema revolution.

Fun fact, they finally solved this case about 6 months ago. 

And you wait weeks for a Korean film to turn up and then two turn up at once. I am not complaining (I mean I am complaining about the 50th-16th drought), This also brings both Song and Bong up to three films each on this list, which sends them up into a special club of people with three or more films.   

This brings Korea up level with HOng Kong on 6 films each. Both nations were probably hoping for a stronger showing than this up until this point. But Italy is still within both of their reach if they start to hit a late charge now.  

From Amazon user, JD Steppenzide

One of the best crime movies ever made. Each scene is crafted to perfection. Every time I watch this I become enchanted by the acting, the cinematography, each telling the story of people struggling to understand their situation, and to deal with something entirely new to their experience; a serial killer. I shout out what is obvious to an over exposed veteran of the serial killer hunt, but were unknown techniques at the time, especially in a rural community in South Korea during a tumultuous period in their recent history.

This story is based in a true event.

Films by Nation

17 - France

16 - India

13 - Japan

9 - Italy

6 - Hong Kong

6 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

This brings Korea up level

so it begin. may be Korea miss double digit (Oldboy, Parasite and Handmaiden are only one I expect this high) but expected this film higher. I still hope TZP from India make it. there's Pan Labyrinth still pending. Confident on Japan winning this.

13th: In The Mood for Love - Hong Kong (2000)

2 Top 5, 1 Top 10,

188 pts 

Assumed Plot: Fancy a charming Cantonese Rom Com centred around a hapless hero down on his luck and a classy lady whose out of his league. Well this is the film for you. Watch our hapless hero come up with wackier and wackier schemes to try and win the girl, and chortle as they all backfire in his face. Will he get the girl? Watch and find out. 

Did I find the trailer for a 1950's Italian film by mistake? Why is it just dialogue free nothingness set to music?

Hong Kong Joins Korea and Japan in getting two films into the top 20 as this 2000 decidedly not a rom com film keeps them on course to maybe catch Italy,

It also takes them back ahead of Korea which is on a charge at present (and we still have yet to see if Dasepo Naughty Girls has made the list). 

From Amazon user,Fredrick Baptist

I've always been a fan of Wong Kar-Wai since I caught "Chungking Express" which is still a movie that seems to reveal more and more to me at each viewing but to me "In the Mood for Love" is his masterpiece. Kar-Wai has a distinctive and effective storytelling style and no more is that illustrated better than in this film. How do two people with unfaithful spouses deal with the situation and with the loneliness despite being surrounded with people in a crowded working and living environment?

Criterion has done a great job with this transfer which has excellent picture and sound quality as well as interesting bonus features to boot. The brilliant colours and the slow-motion smoke scenes as well as the scenes of Hong Kong in that time period all look excellent in 1080p resolution and the sound coming in DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround is impeccable making this the blu ray release to get if you are looking for a classic film for your video library. This film rewards repeated viewing as any classic film does.

Highly recommended!

Films by Nation

17 - France

16 - India

13 - Japan

9 - Italy

7 - Hong Kong

6 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 10

12th: Grave of the Fireflies - Japan (1988)

2 Top 5, 1 Top 10,

190 pts 

Assumed Plot: Forget about just foreign language, this is the single best animated film of all time. Don't get me wrong, I don't think i can bring myself to ever watch it again, but it is something that everybody should watch. I will not lie, this film broke me within 5 minutes of the run through and kept it there right through to the final credits. It is the best Japanese film of all time, the best animated film of all time, and possibly top 3 best war films of all time also. Just thinking about rice cakes in the context of this film just puts me in danger of getting emotional.

I'm not watching it, nope nope nope...

I was hoping this would make the top 10, I was very hoping, and it was looking good for a while, but in the end it slipped down to 12th which makes me sad. Seriously though, if you have seen this, find it and watch it. 

And Japan inches closer to the top. It is beginning to get ominous and is now only 3 films off the top...

From Amazon user, Steve P

The saddest movie ever made. In Japanese with English subtitles is the way to go if you want to watch this. One of the most powerful anti-war movies, if you don't cry when you see this, you are heartless. A tip...from Amazon, buy a can of Sakuma's Drops....they are a Japanese candy. Eat them while you watch. You'll get it when you see the film...and it will break your heart.
Highly recommended!

Films by Nation

17 - France

16 - India

14 - Japan

9 - Italy

7 - Hong Kong

6 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 8

11th: Princess Mononoke - Japan (1997)

1 Top 5, 2 Top 10,

198 pts 

Assumed Plot: The story of a princess and a wolfboy that fall in love. This is the story of a girl and a war, and some animal gods. It is the most epic of the Ghibli films and probably the one that would potentially make the most successful live action film if anybody decided they wanted to do that. (It is also the film that the makers of Pixar's Brave clearly had playing on a loop while storyboarding for their film.

I Still think this is the prettiest Ghibli film still.

I mentioned in previous posts that there are two Ghibli films that I consider are all time greats. Those are Grave of the Fireflies and When Marnie was there. But Mononoke definitely comes next as one of the two very good ones. 

And Japan is now not just inching, but positively galumphing towards India's now shaky looking total of 16. It may all be a matter of time and that means you can all lament y'alls own refusals to vote for Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Dil Se. 

From Amazon user, Mr Twonines

Summary: "Princess Mononoke" focuses on Ashitaka, a young warrior who is exiled from his village because of a deadly curse. In search for a cure, Ashitaka sets out on a journey, hoping to find any answers he can. During his travels, however, he stumbles upon a long standing fued between Lady Eboshi of Iron Town and Princess Mononoke of The Forest. Two different ideologies clashing for control. One fights for her people, while the other fights for the forest and it's inhabitants. Yet, both seeking to kill one another. Not wanting blood to be shed, Ashitaka takes it upon himself to search for a path in where both leaders can coexist. All the while still battling the curse within himself.

Films by Nation

17 - France

16 - India

15 - Japan

9 - Italy

7 - Hong Kong

6 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 7

10th: City of God- Brazil (2002)

1 First, 1 Top 5, 1 Top 10,

203 pts 

Assumed Plot: The smart money is on this so called City of God that is the title of a Brazilian film, may just be that city where there's a bally great Jesus statue looking over it. So that is where I am putting my money. 

This is the story of life in Rio, and the loves, laughs and losses that one can experience when seeking their fortune in the River of January.  (What I have to keep reminding myself is that this and Kingdom of Heaven are two different films with no connections).

Was I right? I'm gonna claim I was right.

This was another film that rocketed out of the blocks when I was counting up lists before almost dropping out of the top 10. In the end it just made it as Brazil's sole representation on this countdown and the only Brazilian film to even score more than one solitary vote.  

As for things at the top, this is just another spot that has been eaten up by a non-Japanese film and thus keeps the status quo going for at least one more reveal. 

From Amazon user, Inimitable Idiot

This was the very first movie that I watched with subtitles and wow what a great movie. Well acted and intense, if you have qualms about having to read subtitles, do yourself a favor and work through it and I promise you that a whole new world(s) of movies will then be available. There are so many great movies in foreign languages. Try it and never watch a "dubbed movie, the voices never match the character and they are more distracting than subtitles, good luck and enjoy

Films by Nation

17 - France

16 - India

15 - Japan

9 - Italy

7 - Hong Kong

6 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

1 - Brazil

• Like 7

9th: The Handmaiden - Korea (2016)

3 Top 5, 1 Top 10,

209 pts 

Assumed Plot: The second best Park Chan Wook film, the second best Korean Film, The Handmaiden is a fantastic piece of cinema that is one of the finest example of genre bending and expectation defying that Korean cinema has become known for. Admittedly it is very NC17 in places. this is a further bullet in my chamber when arguing that Park is the best director of actors in Korea (and possibly anywhere). 

When I saw this film, I had it all worked out and knew exactly what was going to happen, beat for beat, and I was completely right. Only problem was that I was only 1 act into the film and there was still an our to go when my predictions all came true. 

This would have easily made the top films of 2016 list back in the day, but SOME PEOPLE had to wait until after the deadline to watch it didn't they?

This brings Park up to three films on this list and that is no mean feat. He is about due to make a new film sometime soon as he usually spends around 3-4 years between projects if you don't count I'm a Cyborg and its okay. And let's be fair, there is no rule in existence that can harness the bonkersness of I'm a Cyborg but its okay. 

Korea draws level with Hong Kong as it attempts a late charge for the 10 film milestone and potentially Italy ahead of it. This is going to be tricky with only 8 films left to reveal though. At the very top, this is another swing and a miss for the top 3, 

From Amazon user, Georgie

People who are giving this movie a one star rating need to stick with mainstream genres and not venture into dark underworlds. This movie was fantastic and a must see for anyone who enjoys a director taking you through a journey that will shock you, disturb you, make you laugh at times and generally leave you intrigued. The plot moves in a back and forth narrative taking you through one person's journey as they think things are taking place and then returns to the beginning to show the unexpected truth. The story is about the manipulation and oppression of women in a strong male dominated culture during the Korean occupation of Japan. The two main female characters are subjected to trickery that ultimately they use in their own way. There is strong adult sexual content that is very Asian culture based without which the movie would not reach it's fullest potential. There are no cutting corners with a story like this. If you can't stomach lesbianism and what would be considered perversion, then don't watch this movie. The acting was excellent, the story line tight and the filmography fantastic!

Films by Nation

17 - France

16 - India

15 - Japan

9 - Italy

7 - Hong Kong

7 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

1 - Brazil

• Like 7

Parasite and Oldboy will definitely make, so Korea will reach 9. Pan Labyrinth is confirmed. That leaves, 5 films.

Japan need 3 to win, can't afford more than 1 to France. Don't think Taare Zameen Par will be in Top 10, so that's it for India. Am surprised, A Separation didn't make, or will it 😛

• Like 1