Fake

Friday Numbers

As expected, Nikki numbers all over the place, people jumping to early conclusions.Hunger was never close to the 2nd weekend record. The weekdays would have had to be stronger than that. This is going to be a totally average drop for Hunger this weekend.Now Hunger's performance is indeed amazing nonetheless, and it is a huge success for Lions Gate. However, people need to keep their expectations in check, as well as the praise. While Hunger is indeed a non-sequel, it is far from an original film. It is based on a very popular book franchise, a book franchise that has more fans than even Twilight, as far as I know. So the built-in audience for Hunger was always big to begin with, but the amazing OW that blew everyone away was because it also got a lot of casual moviegoers to watch it on OW as well.Now, we should see quite average drops for Hunger during the rest of its run, due to the fanbased nature of the film, and the overachieving OW. The WOM is good, but the film hasn't caught on with the majority of audiences out there. Outside of some curious moviegoers on OW, most of the casual moviegoing audience just isn't that interested in the film.

Edited by ACCA

Our attendance for Hunger Games today was 1622, down from 3072 last Saturday.

Using your theater as the nation average (obviously I know it's not just doing it for the heck of it) that would mean THG did about $26m today. Edited by MovieMan89

Using your theater as the nation average (obviously I know it's not just doing it for the heck of it) that would mean THG did about $26m today.

26m would be a 38% increase from Friday. Decent, but I'm hoping for a little more than that. Hopefully some numbers come soon. Edited by blackspider

So much early crow being dished out to Fake and Baumer, just goes to show that everything until studio estimates can sometimes barely be a guide to were the numbers will fall.

As expected, Nikki numbers all over the place, people jumping to early conclusions.Hunger was never close to the 2nd weekend record. The weekdays would have had to be stronger than that. This is going to be a totally average drop for Hunger this weekend.Now Hunger's performance is indeed amazing nonetheless, and it is a huge success for Lions Gate. However, people need to keep their expectations in check, as well as the praise. While Hunger is indeed a non-sequel, it is far from an original film. It is based on a very popular book franchise, a book franchise that has more fans than even Twilight, as far as I know. So the built-in audience for Hunger was always big to begin with, but the amazing OW that blew everyone away was because it also got a lot of casual moviegoers to watch it on OW as well.Now, we should see quite average drops for Hunger during the rest of its run, due to the fanbased nature of the film, and the overachieving OW. The WOM is good, but the film hasn't caught on with the majority of audiences out there. Outside of some curious moviegoers on OW, most of the casual moviegoing audience just isn't that interested in the film.

152mil opening weekend is more than just the fanbase.

• Founder / Operator

152mil opening weekend is more than just the fanbase.

I agree here. I do think its still *mostly* the fan base, but even with inflation as high as it is today a film opening to $150m is still pretty impressive on a number of levels. Whether the sequels can sustain that it is another question (regardless of quality, sometimes franchises just peak with the first film because of a 'perfect storm' scenario -- see Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Men In Black, etc.).WOM so far is indicative of retaining most of that audience, though. But I think its important to let Potter and Twilight be a lesson: no matter how popular the books or how widespread the audience is, sometimes middle chapters just dip at the box office for a variety of reasons -- both foreseen and unforeseen. So doing these same numbers again, while possible, isn't guaranteed (but, really, what ever is?).

So much early crow being dished out to Fake and Baumer, just goes to show that everything until studio estimates can sometimes barely be a guide to were the numbers will fall.

Amen. With this movie, the early numbers can never right. It happened last weekend when people were so sure the weekend estimate just had to be a few million higher. Sunday's drop was just too high to be believed (even thought it was a perfectly average Sunday drop).

I agree here. I do think its still *mostly* the fan base, but even with inflation as high as it is today a film opening to $150m is still pretty impressive on a number of levels. Whether the sequels can sustain that it is another question (regardless of quality, sometimes franchises just peak with the first film because of a 'perfect storm' scenario -- see Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Men In Black, etc.).WOM so far is indicative of retaining most of that audience, though. But I think its important to let Potter and Twilight be a lesson: no matter how popular the books or how widespread the audience is, sometimes middle chapters just dip at the box office for a variety of reasons -- both foreseen and unforeseen. So doing these same numbers again, while possible, isn't guaranteed (but, really, what ever is?).

I've said all along if THG hits the 400 mark I have a hard time believing it won't be the highest grossing of the franchise. It's just too big of a benchmark that's been set then. And it won't be like Potter where there will be 10 years of inflation + 3D to help outgross the first one with the final film.