lorddemaxus

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City | November 24, 2021 | Kaya Scodelario as Claire, Robbie Amell as Chris, Hannah John-Kamen as Jill, Avan Jogia as Leon

2 hours ago, Firepower said:

Not in this case, unless the final film is terrible. It's supposed to be 2 hour movie with slow build up to set atmosphere, locations, characters and tone. There's a good reason why it was developed as 2 hour movie.

They developed it as a 2 hour movie? Source? I missed that. 

How are they supposed to know how long the final film will be during development? Runtime doesn’t mean anything, unless it’s too long. 

30 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

They developed it as a 2 hour movie? Source? I missed that. 

How are they supposed to know how long the final film will be during development? Runtime doesn’t mean anything, unless it’s too long. 

Let's just say I know a little more about this one than other folks, that's why I have some hope for this film and I didn't care about it at all when they announced it.

The script was over 120 pages (aka 120+ minutes, usually 1 page = 1 minute) which means 2 hour movie. 90 minutes runtime would be a death sentence for this film because of they way it's structured, number of characters and how it's supposed to work. Heavily cutting first half means killing second half.

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Let's just say I know a little more about this one than other folks, that's why I have some hope for this film and I didn't care about it at all when they announced it.

The script was over 120 pages (aka 120+ minutes, usually 1 page = 1 minute) which means 2 hour movie. 90 minutes runtime would be a death sentence for this film because of they way it's structured, number of characters and how it's supposed to work. Heavily cutting first half means killing second half.

I’m not sure I want to watch a 2 hour version of a film with this level of actors called Resident Evil Welcome To Raccoon City haha. But each to their own of course. 

This isn’t Hereditary, It or Midsommar. Kill zombies for 90mins and don’t overstay the welcome. 

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever felt a film was too short.

But everyone’s different. 

I don’t know if I need to see a video game film thats 2 hours long. Even Free Guy could’ve been tightened up. 

If you don't give the story enough time to breath and characters to develop then you've got a problem because that builds attachment. If you cut the first half of Titanic the second half stops working, just to illustrate. That applies to all movies, including video game adaptations. There's nothing that says video game movies have to suck forever.

EDIT:

Just wanted to add that i'm not saying all short movies necessarily suck. There's a right length and it's different for every movie.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Elessar said:

If you don't give the story enough time to breath and characters to develop then you've got a problem because that builds attachment. If you cut the first half of Titanic the second half stops working, just to illustrate. That applies to all movies, including video game adaptations. There's nothing that says video game movies have to suck forever.

There’s nothing to say that films with a 90 minute runtime “suck” compared to films that are 2 hours plus either. 

That’s my point. 

35 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’m not sure I want to watch a 2 hour version of a film with this level of actors called Resident Evil Welcome To Raccoon City haha. But each to their own of course. 

This isn’t Hereditary, It or Midsommar. Kill zombies for 90mins and don’t overstay the welcome. 

It's better than it has any right to be on paper, certainly better than director's filmography or actors suggest, but let's see how it's actually executed/edited. It's supposed early John Carpenter type of movie.

The obsession people have with long runtimes here is genuinely perplexing. If anything, most films these days run too long and don't know how to utilize their runtimes effectively (NTTD being 2.75 hours is terrifying to me, especially since just about every other Bond film runs way too long).

I don't know too much about Resident Evil, as a game or movie series, but I would assume a zombie movie doesn't need to last 2+ hours to get their point across.

54 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I don't think this is two hours long? Pretty sure it's in that normal 90-100 minute area.

Well, that's really bad news then, especially if it includes credits. I'm pretty close to giving up on it after having some hope initially. It needed at least 110 minutes, second half was already tight, maybe even a bit too tight, and heavily trimming first half in this case would mean killing second half.

Edited by Firepower

Well, the release of Venom 2's come and gone, and still no trailer for this. If Sony's still releasing this in November, than timing the trailer's release alongside either No Time to Die or Halloween Kills would probably be their best bet for kickstarting their marketing in a timely manner, and it'd probably be their last chance to do so. If the trailer's in front of Halloween Kills, that allows the horror audience to see that trailer. Last Night in Soho is not only too small of a release to pair the trailer with, but it's the only horror between Halloween Kills and the rest of October and November leading up to Raccoon City's release. Whatever's holding them up, they better snap out of it pretty quickly.

55 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

Well, the release of Venom 2's come and gone, and still no trailer for this. If Sony's still releasing this in November, than timing the trailer's release alongside either No Time to Die or Halloween Kills would probably be their best bet for kickstarting their marketing in a timely manner, and it'd probably be their last chance to do so. If the trailer's in front of Halloween Kills, that allows the horror audience to see that trailer. Last Night in Soho is not only too small of a release to pair the trailer with, but it's the only horror between Halloween Kills and the rest of October and November leading up to Raccoon City's release. Whatever's holding them up, they better snap out of it pretty quickly.

Agreed. This comes out in 7 weeks and doesn’t even have a teaser poster lol.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SofNascimento said:

So, is this movie as doomed as it seems to be? 

Given the director's previous works, I'm really not expecting anything good.

Besides, it's being produced by the same core team that produced all previous Paul W.S Anderson RE movies. They did get rid of Paul Anderson ( who isn't a good director ), but I think he knows how to make fun movies. That new guy ( whatever he's called + Roberts, lol ) seems to be weak.

I'll wait for a trailer, so I can judge it.