cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

Assuming Zaslav scrapped Batgirl specifically because it was going to be an HBO Max exclusive, and he doesn’t care for HBO Max, then I would assume this movie should be safe. Maybe that’s just wishful thinking, but whatever. 

Edited by WittyUsername

13 hours ago, AnDr3s said:

they could link blue beetle with green lantern easily

I doubt that brand is going to see the light of live action day anytime soon again

and also this basically latino spiderman with iron man powers this should do great

This is the main reason why I think Zaslav may see more potential in BB than almost every other pending DC project. 

Don’t touch Blue Beetle! Leave Jaime alone! It would suck so much as a fan to be so close to seeing your favorite character get his own movie on the big screen, with perfect casting and a great costume too, only to get cancelled after filming already finished!! 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 11:23 AM, WittyUsername said:

Assuming Zaslav scrapped Batgirl specifically because it was going to be an HBO Max exclusive, and he doesn’t care for HBO Max, then I would assume this movie should be safe. Maybe that’s just wishful thinking, but whatever. 

The move to theatrical for this was made by the new regime. 

39 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

The move to theatrical for this was made by the new regime. 

The movie was announced for a theatrical release last December. That was before the Discovery merger went through.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/dcs-blue-beetle-release-date-1235064160/

Edited by WittyUsername

Meanwhile, the idea of launching straight-to-streaming DC-branded films appears to have been abandoned — or, at least, imperiled — with the cancelation of “Batgirl.” Under Jason Kilar, DC had intended to introduce several less prominent characters on HBO Max before later integrating them into feature films that were targeted for a theatrical release. “Blue Beetle,” which features the first Mexican-American big screen superhero, had originally been part of this strategy, but even before Zaslav took the reins, the film pivoted to a traditional release with a $100 million budget. It will now open in theaters in 2023.

Variety said that the budget is $100M. Same number as the first Shazam.

I'm shocked tbh I was expecting around $150M.

On 8/10/2022 at 6:01 PM, WittyUsername said:

The movie was announced for a theatrical release last December. That was before the Discovery merger went through.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/dcs-blue-beetle-release-date-1235064160/

But WBD are the ones that funded it so they can’t cancel it and use it as a tax write off. Batgirl and Scoob were funded by AT&T WB so Zaslav could cancel the films and claim them as pre merger expenses, can’t do that for Blue Beetle (started filming 2 weeks or so after merger). 

On a side note, I really hope the recent rumors surrounding Blue Beetle’s production are BS, otherwise Zaslav has another nightmare to deal with. Seems like they’re false tho since they’re coming from the clout chasers, I mean scoopers, on Twitter 

6 hours ago, El Gato said:

But WBD are the ones that funded it so they can’t cancel it and use it as a tax write off. Batgirl and Scoob were funded by AT&T WB so Zaslav could cancel the films and claim them as pre merger expenses, can’t do that for Blue Beetle (started filming 2 weeks or so after merger). 

On a side note, I really hope the recent rumors surrounding Blue Beetle’s production are BS, otherwise Zaslav has another nightmare to deal with. Seems like they’re false tho since they’re coming from the clout chasers, I mean scoopers, on Twitter 

Are you referring to that supposed report that a gang shooting happened while they were doing reshoots? If so, that story seems pretty fishy to me. For one, I don’t see why they would already be doing reshoots, when the movie finished filming less than a month ago. 

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Are you referring to that supposed report that a gang shooting happened while they were doing reshoots? If so, that story seems pretty fishy to me. For one, I don’t see why they would already be doing reshoots, when the movie finished filming less than a month ago. 

another “scooper” has said they still have 25-30% of the movie to shoot, I have no idea how that’s possible when they apparently wrapped filming in July but who knows anymore. 

6 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m referring to that, the whole half the crew threatened to quit because of Covid/safety, and the whole 25-30% still needs to be filmed… obviously it’s all just rumors and the more I looked into it, the source of them are unreliable (ie they’re either hit and miss or only know stuff about movies due to test screenings). These “scoopers” are getting ridiculous! 

We would have heard all about the shooting, the backstage drama and Blue Beetle being unfinished by the trades if all of that were actually true! Hell if a shooting happened to a Hollywood production, it’s be all over the news, especially on Univision/Telemundo since it happened in Puerto Rico allegedly

13 minutes ago, El Gato said:

I’m referring to that, the whole half the crew threatened to quit because of Covid/safety, and the whole 25-30% still needs to be filmed… obviously it’s all just rumors and the more I looked into it, the source of them are unreliable (ie they’re either hit and miss or only know stuff about movies due to test screenings). These “scoopers” are getting ridiculous! 

We would have heard all about the shooting, the backstage drama and Blue Beetle being unfinished by the trades if all of that were actually true! Hell if a shooting happened to a Hollywood production, it’s be all over the news, especially on Univision/Telemundo since it happened in Puerto Rico allegedly

It’s annoying how so many of these supposed scoopers have come out of the woodwork these past couple of days, just to pile on to the never ending doom and gloom narrative surrounding DC, even when it’s a movie that someone like Ezra Miller has nothing to do with.  

DC’s New Superhero Xolo Maridueña on ‘Blue Beetle,’ ‘Cobra Kai’ and Keeping His Cool

While waiting for a table, Hamada tried to calm Maridueña’s nerves. “Look Xolo,” Maridueña recalls Hamada saying. “This role of Blue Beetle is going to be really important to this universe. We want to just make sure that whoever we go with is a real person and we’re not just hiring a face. It’s about more than what’s in front of the camera.”

But Maridueña’s heart was about to start racing again. As Hamada walked him to a table, the actor realized his lunch group was far bigger than advertised. There was Blue Beetle director Angel Manuel Soto and screenwriter Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer, and the film’s producers and several others. The actor realized: This wasn’t just some getting-to-know-you chat — this was a superhero surprise party. Maridueña had already landed the role of Blue Beetle without having read a single line of dialogue.

“I felt my throat close up and my eyes started to water,” Maridueña says. “It was overwhelming.”

Cobra Kai is such a family-friendly show and next you have Blue Beetle. Is there a pressure to be a role model off camera?

I read a bunch of your interviews and you didn’t swear once. Earlier in our conversation, you actually said “my gosh” and “dang.” How much of this is you vs. interview you? That’s me still living with my parents (laughs). I don’t know if there’s necessarily a pressure. My family instilled these values early on. I don’t want to make too much noise. There are so many different ways that things can be misconstrued. I do curse with my friends. But I’d much rather be my most authentic self, because it gets tiring pretending to be one person on social media and then pretending to be a different person with the people you work with, and then coming home to my family and being Family Xolo. I’d rather be the same way and as authentic as I can, because it’s draining to lead lives that aren’t real. So, no, I don’t think there’s pressure. We can talk again in a year once the magnifying glass gets real big and we’ll see if my answer has changed.

Which brings us to Blue Beetle, which you landed without even auditioning. What was getting that like? In the beginning, there was a bit of impostor syndrome. Like, “Oh my gosh, how do they know? I haven’t even read a word of the script! How can they be so sure?” Everyone was so welcoming and instilled so much confidence in me through the filming of the movie. It just comes back to the thing that I was saying earlier: Blue Beetle isn’t to make me the next heartthrob or biggest star. It’s just to show people, “Hey, these stories about Latinos don’t have to just be about narcos or crossing the border or being a gang member. You can be portrayed in a positive light.” A superhero seems like the most positive light you can get in this industry.

Speaking of, I have to ask: What was your reaction to Warner Bros. canceling Batgirl [which starred Latina actress Leslie Grace]?

It obviously feels very close, right? Warner Brothers and Beetle. But I think everything that has to be said on the topic has been spoken from [those involved]. I think the creators and Leslie said everything that had to be said.

There are obviously so many superhero projects. What else is going to make Blue Beetle unique?

I always get so nervous talking about the movie. Let me preface this by saying that everything that I’m saying was in the comics, OK? I don’t want to hear anybody say, “Xolo was giving away spoilers from the movie.” Jaime Reyes/Blue Beetle has been passed the torch from other Blue Beetles. There are other iterations of the character. My iteration is a kid from Texas who stumbles upon these powers. The thing that makes this movie different than any other superhero movie I’ve seen — well, there are a ton that I haven’t seen. There were superhero movies before Iron Man, right?

Xolo Mariduena Reveals New ‘Cobra Kai’ Season 5, ‘Blue Beetle’ Details – The Hollywood Reporter