cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:

If this movie is gonna succeed it’s gonna do so on its own merits. Tie ins(or cameos) don’t matter for DC movies, just look at how showing Wonder Woman in the Shazam promos did nothing and as much as the rock hyped up Superman look at what that did? Barely nothing, black adam did barely more than the first Shazam domestically. And the folks who do follow these movies know about Gunns new plans so they’ll wait to see the trailers and wait for reactions.

People are either either gonna like the trailer and be interested or they won’t. It’s obvious WB was trying to attract a certain demographic (beyond superhero fans)for this movie when they green lit it. We’ll see if it works out. 

Reason nothing helped Shazam is because it was a dead end. When I say tie in, it has to show some link to overall DCU. Some story or plot which will be continued elsewhere. On its own I dont see this movie has any hook. I have seen DC Animated series and have never even heard of this character. Plus we have so many SH movies releasing every year and I feel we are well past peak SH era when anything can be sold. 

So even if its well received I see limited potential. I hope I am wrong. 

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Reason nothing helped Shazam is because it was a dead end. When I say tie in, it has to show some link to overall DCU. Some story or plot which will be continued elsewhere. On its own I dont see this movie has any hook. I have seen DC Animated series and have never even heard of this character. Plus we have so many SH movies releasing every year and I feel we are well past peak SH era when anything can be sold. 

So even if it’s well received I see limited potential. I hope I am wrong. 

I know what you meant with tie ins, my hope was that Gunn was gonna keep this character going forward with tie ins for his new dcu but I don’t think they want to do anything like that yet until they see how this performs. 

I agree we’re past peak era of superhero movies but I still feel like a good fresh movie can stand on its own, we’ll see if this has that. 

17 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

So even if its well received I see limited potential. I hope I am wrong. 

Shazam died because it looked boring as fuck and it wasn't good. Not because it didn't tie-in to anything. It would've died even if James Gunn decided to continue the current DC universe.

Edited by lorddemaxus

One of the international DC accounts posted it early by accident, as it wasn't meant to be out for another hour and a half. Go see it quick before it's gone:

It honestly looks fantastic, and further cements itself as the one DC movie for this year that I am excited for, no strings attached. One can only hope this gets retconned into Gunn's new universe.