filmlover

Ticket to Paradise | October 21 2022 | Universal | Clooney and Roberts reunite

3 hours ago, AJG said:

Do the young people even know who these people are?

Has Julia Roberts been in anything recently that anybody under 22 has seen?

If they were hoping to pull in high school/college kids with this, the daughter would have been played by someone with a following, like a Euphoria person or some singer trying to act. But Ticket to Paradise costs $60 million as it is, that probably wasn't in the budget. 

15 hours ago, Flopped said:

For sure. 
But Julia's peak > Sandra's
Much more global. 

Pretty Woman's near 500M global gross is jaw-dropping for an R-rated 1990 comedy. 

Agreed, Sandra managed to have more success in the end because she was hotter and gave a 'cool' older person vibe that julia didnt. but at her peak julia is the biggest female actress of all time

3 hours ago, AJG said:

Do the young people even know who these people are?

Has Julia Roberts been in anything recently that anybody under 22 has seen?

recenetly no. but imagine not knowing pretty woman or notting hill (among others)

What I find is probably oft-putting in the trailer for all those 45 and under is this rom com is about bitterness...2 old divorces b&tching at each other in the trailer, and it not being that funny, is not the kinda rom com that is gonna draw happy young couples and female groups.

So, for me, it was a miss at the concept stage.  

On 10/20/2022 at 9:57 PM, Krissykins said:

Those pesky Americans have knocked this into rotten on RT, after being fresh all month. Boo hiss boo, no fun! 

Reminds me of how the RT scores for James Bond and Fantastic Beasts films would plummet after the US critics chimed in. 

Nobody who saw the script is familiar with

Spoiler

law school, or ever seen a movie/show where it's mentioned? There are several references to the daughter's four years of college, but law school in America is generally three years, on top of undergrad.

Lily seems the right age for that (24-25), but they mention four years of college, then she's going straight to a cushy lawyer job after this extended summer vacation. With her friend/roommate who was also graduating...I guess Billie Lourd was playing an extremely free spirited aspiring lawyer? Or Lily was just such a brainiac that she got a lawyer job after only four years of university? And even if you get hired by a law firm out of school, you have to pass the bar exam. I guess she brought her study books to Bali?

It's not really important, but the story they presented is just not how that works, at all. Like, a hundred people see a script when a movie gets made, yet no one thought of this?

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Haha 1