filmlover

Ticket to Paradise | October 21 2022 | Universal | Clooney and Roberts reunite

It was pretty good. More pleasant than funny, nothing you haven't seen before but imo still a cut above most streaming rom coms.  The director of Mamma Mia 2 was a very good choice for something like this, even if George and Julia being fun and having fun again is 95% of why it works.

It also opened really really well here last weekend and it's probably gonna end up being a pretty big hit but I'm a bit skeptical about how much it can break out worldwide. It's still the kind of movie we have been conditioned to expect out of streaming and whatever "Remember Movie Stars?" buzz it's having can only take you so far. But I hope I'm wrong. The budget is just 36m so it most likely won't be a flop.

8 hours ago, Joel M said:

It was pretty good. More pleasant than funny, nothing you haven't seen before but imo still a cut above most streaming rom coms.  The director of Mamma Mia 2 was a very good choice for something like this, even if George and Julia being fun and having fun again is 95% of why it works.

It also opened really really well here last weekend and it's probably gonna end up being a pretty big hit but I'm a bit skeptical about how much it can break out worldwide. It's still the kind of movie we have been conditioned to expect out of streaming and whatever "Remember Movie Stars?" buzz it's having can only take you so far. But I hope I'm wrong. The budget is just 36m so it most likely won't be a flop.

Money Monster made $93M ($52M overseas) worldwide six years ago and this is already at $31M overseas with almost a month to go until it opens in the US. Should have no problem beating all of those numbers everywhere at least.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Saw this with my GF today, loved it, nice to have a straightforward traditional romcom. 

Already talk of Roberts and Clooney becoming the new Tracy/Hepburn , but that is bit premature.

I still love btwe, the "You Look Just Like Julia Roberts"" bit from Ocean's 11 Two.

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

The Lost City was an action adventure rom-com. That has more appeal than a straight rom-com in America.

It’s a shame, as this is much funnier. 

The Lost City was fun though. Hoping this does well in the US, although at this point it doesn’t really matter much. Already $70m in the bag. 

• Like 1

The 7:00 Early Access shows for tomorrow are selling great near me while sales for the weekend are looking decent as well. It should be good for meeting the mid-teens tracking numbers, which after all the handwringing over the astoundingly low numbers Bros posted and what it means for the state of the studio comedy in 2022 would make Universal pretty happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The 7:00 Early Access shows for tomorrow are selling great near me while sales for the weekend are looking decent as well. It should be good for meeting the mid-teens tracking numbers, which after all the handwringing over the astoundingly low numbers Bros posted and what it means for the state of the studio comedy in 2022 would make Universal pretty happy.

I have a feeling this will slightly surprise and gross around 20M thanks to strong walkups. Crossing fingers it finally does