filmlover

Belfast | 11/12/21 | Focus | Kenneth Branagh | TIFF Premiere

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Why do people think DotN is going to be so horrible? The first was decent and made a ton of money.

Because Armie Hammer is a rapist piece of shit. That's why. I'm sure it'll be good, but the fact that Armie Hammer is a rapist piece of shit is going to hurt Nile.

Also Gal Gadot's a Zionist and Letitia Wright's an antivaxxer, but they're sadly unscathed from all this.

29 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Why is Norbit the comparison to Death of the Nile here? I've seen it mentioned more than once.

Because the conventional wisdom is that Norbit coming out in the beginning of 2007 killed Eddie Murphy's Oscar chances for Dreamgirls. He was the favorite for that year's supporting actor award

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

Because Armie Hammer is a rapist piece of shit. That's why. I'm sure it'll be good, but the fact that Armie Hammer is a rapist piece of shit is going to hurt Nile.

Also Gal Gadot's a Zionist and Letitia Wright's an antivaxxer, but they're sadly unscathed from all this.

But if people are talking about DotN hurting Belfast's awards chances, why would an actor in one movie affect the movie of the director of a different movie that said actor is not even a part of?

Death on the Nile was made ages ago and has zero to do with this movie besides the same director so I fail to see how the Hammer scandal would impact this in any way (and honestly, unless Hammer's apparently still-ongoing investigation concludes with that he did those crimes, it's unlikely it has any impact on that movie either, since he won't be doing any press for it regardless).

16 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

If Artemis Fowl had been the one delayed to 2022 that would make sense as a Norbit comparison. Branagh got lucky there.

It's such a lazy comparison... Every year pundits try to say some frontrunner's poorly reviewed winter cash grab will be their Norbit and ruin their Oscar hopes, but it's only really happened with Eddie Murphy. No Strings Attached didn't stop Natalie Portman, Seventh Son didn’t hurt Julianne Moore and Eddie Redmayne still won despite hamming it up Jupiter Ascending. Sandra Bullock won a Razzie and an Oscar on the same weekend.

Most voters understand what it takes to get anything made and that all movies aren't designed to win awards. That's fine. The "problem" with Norbit was how it reinforced notions that a legacy superstar like Eddie had completely squandered his talent for a decade in crude comedies, and that he'd already gone right back to it. 

...whereas Death on the Nile doesn't really feed into a preexisting bad narrative about Branagh. It's just been delayed of a merger, a pandemic and the lead getting canceled after filming had wrapped, not stuff that's the director's fault. Unless Death on the Nile is as bad as Artemis Fowl, and then maybe it undercuts an "overdue" narrative for Best Director. 

I think the bigger issue for Belfast (in terms of Oscars) will be the frontrunner heat, it's not even October and the ceremony isn't until March. All the studios are sending out their big guns again, it's not like last year's race where an early leader could coast to the win. Film Twitter will be obnoxious with the takedowns, calling it simple and "White Roma" and whatnot. The Discourse will be annoying for sure.

I don't know how much Belfast will make at the box office and if that will matter, since prestige movies haven't done well this year.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 3