If I didn't know it was created by Aaron Sorkin I sure knew within 15-20 minutes. Same style and pacing as The West Wing, though that show had a bit more light humor tossed in.I thought the premiere was very good. Interesting touch with the BP oil rig story to date this to Spring 2010.

Edited by 4815162342

HBO put the entire pilot on Youtube for everyone to watch for free:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U4ZhFDFYvE&hd=1

NOTE TO MODS: HBO made this available for free on their Youtube page. It's not pirated so don't yell at me.

Edited by Cozmees Everdeen

^I don't know why. I thought the pilot was damn good (though I really don't like the idea of them using real news stories from two years ago, hopefully it's not something they use too often) but the critics have seen the first four episodes when I've only seen one. I can't imagine they've fucked it up that badly with such a great cast. Maybe the media doesn't like what's being said about them in the show, or maybe they just want to take down Sorkin since he's on such a high after TSN and Moneyball.

Maybe the media doesn't like what's being said about them in the show

Ding ding ding ding. We have a winner.The viewer opinions are the ones that matter with this. I always knew the media would bash it because it's pointing out how horrible they are.

Oh, and I love people calling (negatively and positively) his rant at the beginning "Anti-American." No, it's not. Pointing out the negative truth about what this country has become is *not* "Anti-American."Just imagine if an anchor would actually say something like that today. He would be raked over the coals, persecuted endlessly and people would even call for him or her to be arrested for treason, terrorism, etc. You say ANYTHING negative about this country and people pitch a fit. Even if all the person did was give factual statistics like this character did, the arrogance of the American public would spell the end of said person.It's been fed into the brains of so many of us Americans that the defacto truth is that the US is absolutely the greatest thing EVER and always will be. So much so that the minute a citizen would question that fact publicly they would be labeled as a country-bashing, freedom-hating, Commie traitor. Which is something I'm sure many will (probably already have) label Aaron Sorkin as such because he wrote it.And that's sad.

^I don't know why. I thought the pilot was damn good (though I really don't like the idea of them using real news stories from two years ago, hopefully it's not something they use too often) but the critics have seen the first four episodes when I've only seen one. I can't imagine they've fucked it up that badly with such a great cast. Maybe the media doesn't like what's being said about them in the show, or maybe they just want to take down Sorkin since he's on such a high after TSN and Moneyball.

Haven't seen it yet but I think I'll like that... adds a touch of realism.

Haven't seen it yet but I think I'll like that... adds a touch of realism.

I don't know about that. Aaron Sorkin and the writers obviously have the benefit of hindsight when they're writing about these situations, so they're able to make the characters react much smarter to these situations than how people were acting at the time. The second half of the pilot centers around the BP oil spill, and the characters on the show knew what a huge deal it was before any of the other news shows did. Makes it seem less realistic to me. IDK, that's probably just something that bothered me. Edited by CoolioD1

Some variation of 2-3 of The Newsroom, #newsnight and Aaron Sorkin have been trending on Twitter almost the entire day. This came in the 3rd highest rated series premiere in HBO history behind only Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones.Scored 2.1 in the first airing, 2.7 for the whole night including the repeat.HBO putting this pilot on YouTube for non-subscribers was brilliant.

Edited by Cozmees Everdeen