cax16

Captain America: Brave New World | February 14, 2025 | Harrison Ford is General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross

8 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I have a hard time believing the pre-reshoots budget was more than Civil War's budget, let alone this alleged new budget.

We have a lot of conflicting information, but what is clear is that the film has gone over budget and, frankly, it chances of doing Avengers level box office (and let's face it, CA'Civil War was pretty much an Avengers film in disguise)  are, IMHO very questionalbe.

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

You folks aren't really gonna make me have to do my "never compare budget numbers from one source for one film against a different source for a different film" spiel, right?

Right?

Yes they are 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2024 at 7:52 PM, Durden said:

You guys in the USA really don't like that show, huh?

Naah only the anti-woke crowd, even though the show went out of its way to "both sides" by softening John Walker and making the antagonist do inexplicably stupid things to make her not TOO sympathetic 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Naah only the anti-woke crowd, even though the show went out of its way to "both sides" by softening John Walker and making the antagonist do inexplicably stupid things to make her not TOO sympathetic 

It’s one of the decisions of the MCU that really gets me mad is not having an alt-right John Walker because Disney and Feige are too spineless to tackle that (on a side note, when they do Young Avengers, Wiccan will be the only gay member and his love interest will be some random guy they can easily cut to appease China - I don’t think we’ll ever get Wiccan and Hulkling). Same for how they go out of their way to say Hydra isn’t Nazis, because it makes it harder to sell toys. Falcon and the Winter Soldier’s “both sides” approach is such a bummer coming off of Coogler’s Black Panther series but then again the Cap series have always been kind of a mixed bag at handling political themes.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1

I don’t think the MCU in general has really had anything particularly meaningful to say politically. Most of it is very surface level at best, and in the case of Captain America in particular, it gets pretty muddled. The Black Panther movies handle their political themes the best out of all the MCU, but even they glance over the fact that Wakanda is basically anti-democracy. 

30 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t think the MCU in general has really had anything particularly meaningful to say politically. Most of it is very surface level at best, and in the case of Captain America in particular, it gets pretty muddled. The Black Panther movies handle their political themes the best out of all the MCU, but even they glance over the fact that Wakanda is basically anti-democracy. 

The thing is, I can actually see Coogler exploring Shuri vs. Anti-monarchists in BP3, whereas the Cap films only delve into political subjects that are bipartisan. TFaWS had more bite than the films even though many of its teeth were removed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YM! said:

It’s one of the decisions of the MCU that really gets me made is not having an alt-right John Walker because Disney and Feige are too spineless to tackle that

Oh dear

It would have been so boring, I'm  happy the didn't do it. They did a better job at morally grey character in case of Walker than with Karli, I thought she was terrible antagonist.

"Kellyman felt it was important the character was gender-swapped for the series, giving young women a character they could "look up to and relate to now"

Sorry, I don't know how many women can relate to a terrorist and a killer of innocent people, just saying))

47 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

And that's the way it should stay. People want an escape from this stuff, not MORE lecturing. Real life is already politically charged enough, no matter what side of the aisle you're on.

FATWS is just a ok  show  

For majority of it's runtime.political themes are surface level and get absolutely nonsensical and cringe in the last episode . Villain is just terrible and that sam speech was embarrassing

But we've seen worse  since then.

As for the budget will wait see but the article talking about desposito reshoots claiming it's "significantly lower than CM budget " Never  believed that .

Disney has been throwing money at their movies.

Thunderbolts should be cheaper though.

Edited by Liiviig 1998

I wish more people watched Onah's Luce. It's a great story about a smart and talented black student who was turned into poster boy, not allowed to have flaws and make mistakes cuz he has to be an example for people like him. Really great stuff. But the writers in Cap4 are from tFaWS, so it's scary.

Feige said "a White man, Russell, was specifically cast as the new Captain America as commentary on how the U.S. government would not want a Black man like Wilson to take on that role" but as many people pointed out, after two terms of Obama that sounds kinda silly. It would have  been more interesting if US government decided to make Sam Wilson a poster soldier Cap but not really believing he could do anything 

Edited by cinema pal
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

Feige said "a White man, Russell, was specifically cast as the new Captain America as commentary on how the U.S. government would not want a Black man like Wilson to take on that role"

Are we talking about MCU where that man helped saved the universe and is a popular Superhero.

There was also a scene where some police officers didn't recognize him like lol.

6 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

There was also a scene where some police officers didn't recognize him like lol

Nah, that scene was great and realistic. Thats happens stateside to a lot of prominent black figures. They arrested Coogler from “taking too much money” at the bank. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

The thing is, I can actually see Coogler exploring Shuri vs. Anti-monarchists in BP3, whereas the Cap films only delve into political subjects that are bipartisan. TFaWS had more bite than the films even though many of its teeth were removed.

The Black Panther movies don’t get a lot of credit at least not from the MCU fans or cinephiles for actually engaging and tackling its themes well but still be digestible for the main audience. Kind of like Barbie and feminism, sure its baseline feminism from one point of view but actually analyzes and engages with the material in a thoughtful way for a mainstream blockbuster.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, cinema pal said:

I wish more people watched Onah's Luce. Feige said "a White man, Russell, was specifically cast as the new Captain America as commentary on how the U.S. government would not want a Black man like Wilson to take on that role" but as many people pointed out, after two terms of Obama that sounds kinda silly.

TFatWS was written during the Trump years, not the Obama years. It was a reflection of the government at the time. If Captain America had been a real life figure in 2019, there was no way Trump's administration would have picked a black man to be his successor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

TFatWS was written during the Trump years, not the Obama years. It was a reflection of the government at the time. If Captain America had been a real life figure in 2019, there was no way Trump's administration would have picked a black man to be his successor.

Sorry, not going to fall in What if...? rabbit hole any further. It's silly

• Like 1