Eric the Minion

House of the Dragon | GOT Spin-off | Season 2 June 2024

58 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I don't believe that. People fixate on specific plot details that stick out in a bad way but even with those fixes I think it would still be a huge letdown. I was a big fan enjoying even the last 2 seasons despite the rampant corner cutting at every turn hoping that it will be all worth it if they stick the landing. But somewhere during the last 4 episodes the bubble bursts and you realise there's no landing to be stuck. They're just gonna keep cramming entire seasons worth of plot and characterisation into a couple of a scenes until the very end. John could have killed  the Night King but his ressurection would still feel pointless and the Long Night like it lasted less than a week. The dragon could die at the battle of Kings Landing and Dany would still feel like she went to sleep a worthy ruler and woke up a war criminal. And even with some distance I still love the show to this day, I even like how most of the major characters ended up in broad strokes. But the finale will always be incredibly dissapointing and there's no easy fix for that. The only real fix would be tha last 12 episodes to be another 4 seasons minimum. 

I think the show would still be a huge mess...

But the two biggest issues with season 8 would been way less controversial i feel, dramatically so.

I do think Dany just going into full genocidal manic is a plot point that most of the fanbase even now still has not been able to process or accept. I think the 2nd dragon dying would have still made it a controversial plot point, but it would have made SOME logical sense rather then making no sense. 

About John Snow Fighting the Night king, is that you have seen in Marvels Endgame, and other franchises, giving the fanbase a payoff which is an epic final showdown appeases the fanbase. There would be dissapointment, but nothing compared to the let down the fanbase had with how the battle actually went. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I read the sysnopsis on HotD Wiki so it's really promising. 

It's why I think the half and half in one season is doing a bit of a disservice. There's not really anything they have left out, but several things could have used more time to breathe. Two season of 8 episodes to cover what they are doing in 10 would have been ideal, IMO, then they could have gone back to a couple 10 episode seasons to cover the stuff that is going to pop off.

Do they have a set number of seasons? 

Yes time jumps are jarring but so far they did a great job with new actros so old favorites aren't missed as in that new ones didn't do a good job. new Raenyra and Alicent are just as good and kids counterparts look solid from previews in particular Aemond.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Do they have a set number of seasons? 

Yes time jumps are jarring but so far they did a great job with new actros so old favorites aren't missed as in that new ones didn't do a good job. new Raenyra and Alicent are just as good and kids counterparts look solid from previews in particular Aemond.

This is strucutred more like an ancient mythological tale

You go back into the pat to set the origin of the conflict and issue and get introduced to the origin of all the  characters

You set up the chess board and when the board is set you likely will have entire season without much of a time jump with fights and such.

One of my favorite shows from the past couple of years for sure. I thought the first episode was solid but not really anything to write home about other than the brutal birth scene. But the episodes just keep getting better and better, and by the end of the second episode, I was completely hooked. 

Such great TV and strong writing. The last episode where Alicent was spewing venom at each Rhaenyra was so brilliantly tense. 

I'm gonna watch episode 8 in a bit, but so far, I can't lie and say I'm not Team Alicent. The show has really pushed you to favor Rhaenyra over Alicent (IMO), and although I actually do like Rhaenyra, I feel more empathy for Alicent. Not that she's a necessarily better person but I think Rhaenyra can be incredibly reckless and brazen which I find frustrating at times.

I feel like Alicent has the best characterization as well...it's fascinating how she (and countless millions of others around the world) ends up lashing out at people who are more free and refuse to stick by society's rigid rules and traditions because they themselves were so moulded by it. There's a deep sense of jealousy and frustration. It's actually very accurate. 

Olivia Cooke is the MVP and no one can tell me otherwise. She is spectacular on the show, with Paddy Considine my second favorite as he gave so much depth and emotion to King Viserys. 

• Like 3

God i got massive shills when

Spoiler

Viserys went to the throne room for the last time and Daemon helped him for the last few steps.

I found that scene incredibly powerfull. Its what you earn as a show when you use the prior episodes to built up these characters and their viewpoints and emotions, so even a seemingly slow scene where nothing "amazing" happens can make the viewer (or at least me) feel so much.

If the last two episodes keep up this quality, i think this season can stand eye to eye with the first season of GoT.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

God i got massive shills when

Hide contents

Viserys went to the throne room for the last time and Daemon helped him for the last few steps.

I found that scene incredibly powerfull. Its what you earn as a show when you use the prior episodes to built up these characters and their viewpoints and emotions, so even a seemingly slow scene where nothing "amazing" happens can make the viewer (or at least me) feel so much.

If the last two episodes keep up this quality, i think this season can stand eye to eye with the first season of GoT.

It's an epic grand moment when in reality it's an old man walking 

That's how you make a show

• Astonished 1