Eric the Fall Guy

House of the Dragon | GOT Spin-off | Season 2 June 2024

"He can keep his tongue"

Fuck, this show gets better and better. Also nice to see some actors from terribly underrated The Last Kingdom (well, first 2-3 seasons). The guy who plays Aemond was such UwU on that show, you wouldn't believe. 

And now the true successon fuck up begins. never let a delirious king talk about who should have the throne.

@Brainbug yes moments like that are what make a great show not just shocker scene of the moment. 

My fave moment:

"my nephews, each of them handsome, wise, Strong...Strong boys...do you not think yourself Strong?"

:bravo:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

House of the Dragon is on fire right now, this was just an utterly spectacular episode.  Career best work from Paddy Considine, a GOAT murder scene, and the introduction of what is obviously going to be a harrowing super villain.  As much as I fucking love GOT 1-4, I was never genuinely moved by it like I was during moments in this episode.  That stuff with Viserys in the throne room and Daemon helping/putting the crown on his head got me good in the feels.  Just fantastic work from everyone involved.  If they can bring it home in the final two episodes, this is be a huge triumph that I think will bring back even the most burned GOT fans.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

House of the Dragon is on fire right now, this was just an utterly spectacular episode.  Career best work from Paddy Considine, a GOAT murder scene, and the introduction of what is obviously going to be a harrowing super villain.  As much as I fucking love GOT 1-4, I was never genuinely moved by it like I was during moments in this episode.  That stuff with Viserys in the throne room and Daemon helping/putting the crown on his head got me good in the feels.  Just fantastic work from everyone involved.  If they can bring it home in the final two episodes, this is be a huge triumph that I think will bring back even the most burned GOT fans.

I was wonding if I was the only one who digs Dragon even more than GOT. I really clicked with characters, all of them, really care what's gonna happen.

Paddy's gonna clean up awards isn't he? 

Viserys is a weak king my ass.

Patty Constantine has been great this series but this episode he was something else , give him all the awards.

This episode was phenomenal and stands alongside great GOT episodes. 

His scene with daemon almost brought me to tears .

Daemon was also great .He just steals scenes with his expressions alone. Matt Smith is an incredible actor and how he is able to convey lots of emotion with less words is quite great.

Cinematography this episode was really good.

Olivia and Emma have equally been great as alicent and rheanyrha . Three episodes and they have just immersed into their roles.

Casting for aemond was top notch. Can't wait.

Overall stunning episode great payoffs  and great send off for king viserys .

• Like 2

Yes, Matt Smith's microexpressions are the unsung hero of the show. 

Absolutely terrific cast. 

I'm shocked how much I care for these characters. None of them is supposed to be likable yet I cna't hate them cause they are all so freakin good and you udnerstand where they are coming from. Complexity through the roof. 

Superior show not just fantasy but overall. Critics really dropped the ball here. How so many D+ shows beat it in critical ratings is beyond me but that's another reason why no one takes critics seriously anymore. 

Damn, I still can't stop thinking of the moment when Viserys crown dropped and then a hand picks it up for hom and it's Daemon. And then the walk to the throne, etc. My heart.

Edited by Valonqar

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yes, Matt Smith's microexpressions are the unsung hero of the show. 

Absolutely terrific cast. 

I'm shocked how much I care for these characters. None of them is supposed to be likable yet I cna't hate them cause they are all so freakin good and you udnerstand where they are coming from. Complexity through the roof. 

Superior show not just fantasy but overall. Critics really dropped the ball here. How so many D+ shows beat it in critical ratings is beyond me but that's another reason why no one takes critics seriously anymore. 

Damn, I still can't stop thinking of the moment when Viserys crown dropped and then a hand picks it up and it's Daemon. 

GOT material overall is great at this. Creating morally complex characters . Characters are not just not archetypes or stereotypes but flawed humans beneath with motivations .

Final few seasons of GOT became battle and spectacle over strong character moments .

• Like 1

Well said. I hope we don't lose that on HotD but then D&D have nothing to do with this show thank goodness and the books are finished so not much room for stupid improve. 

Yes GOT is great at morally grey but HBO really invests in casting great actors whether they are known or not. Note to bezos, if you spend 1B on a show, than better spend the biggest chunk of it on good writers actors and directors rather than CGI worlds. Not that I'm not enjoying that other show, but Dragon is superior and that isn't up for discussion.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Well said. I hope we don't lose that on HotD but then D&D have nothing to do with this show thank goodness and the books are finished so not much room for stupid improve. 

Yes GOT is great at morally grey but HBO really invests in casting great actors whether they are known or not. Note to bezos, if you spend 1B on a show, than better spend the biggest chunk of it on good writers actors and directors rather than CGI worlds. Not that I'm not enjoying that other show, but Dragon is superior and that isn't up for discussion.

What reassures me that HotD wont end like GoT is that 1) D&D are not involved, 2) the source material is there and it is finished, so the ending wont be dogshit and 3) HBO witnessed what happened with GoT and i think they and the showrunners will make sure to not repeat the same mistakes.

After all, what sank GoT wasnt the actors, the costumes, the effects or the overall trajectory of the story even - it was the script beeing so rushed and braindead that not even the best actors alive could make it work. And so far, HotD's writers give me a ton of confidence, that this wont happen again.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

What reassures me that HotD wont end like GoT is that 1) D&D are not involved, 2) the source material is there and it is finished, so the ending wont be dogshit and 3) HBO witnessed what happened with GoT and i think they and the showrunners will make sure to not repeat the same mistakes.

After all, what sank GoT wasnt the actors, the costumes, the effects or the overall trajectory of the story even - it was the script beeing so rushed and braindead that not even the best actors alive could make it work. And so far, HotD's writers give me a ton of confidence, that this wont happen again.

Game of thrones had so much momentum they could have gone to 10 season and still went out with a huge bang.

They learned the audience is fine with the story going on then being rushed. 

• Like 1

Great ep. Paddy Considine absolutely ruled. But I once again hope we are mostly done with the time jumps every other episode. As good as they have handled both them and the casting changes, they still rob the show of some lived in quality. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joel M said:

Great ep. Paddy Considine absolutely ruled. But I once again hope we are mostly done with the time jumps every other episode. As good as they have handled both them and the casting changes, they still rob the show of some lived in quality. 

You will see the show settle down on the time jumps as the main conflict starts.

Its pay off and reward long term. 

15 hours ago, Torontofan said:

Game of thrones had so much momentum they could have gone to 10 season and still went out with a huge bang.

They learned the audience is fine with the story going on then being rushed. 

I will never forgive D&D for cutting so much story from the books which meant they had to rush the last seasons. Who knows lol maybe GRRM might’ve finished the books if the show hadn’t rushed to the end.

15 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I will never forgive D&D for cutting so much story from the books which meant they had to rush the last seasons. Who knows lol maybe GRRM might’ve finished the books if the show hadn’t rushed to the end.

Season 8 could been the white walker saga

Season 9 can end off with deciding who sits on the iron throne

Trying to satisfy the two plot points set up over 7 seasons within 6 episodes was just lol 

26 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

He will finish the books. Winds of Winter will be released in a few years.

I truly want to believe that. I want to believe that Tyrion is a time-traveling fetus and the son of Dany and Khal Drogo, i want that theory confirmed.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

He will finish the books. Winds of Winter will be released in a few years.

I truly want to believe that. I want to believe that Tyrion is a time-traveling fetus and the son of Dany and Khal Drogo, i want that theory confirmed.

I just bought the first book after years and years of putting it off. Will take me probably over a year to read all of them, but after that GRRM better have the 6th one ready

judge-judy-time.gif

The show is good but the time jumps kill me because I can’t connect with a character since they are gone in a couple of episodes.

Aside from Rhaenyra there are no likeable characters in this show, which is weird considering GOT had so many (the Starks, Tyrion, Dany and more). Also, Milly did a better job than Emma. They should have just condensed the timeline and kept her as an Rhaenyra. She really had that shine that made Emilia Clarke so likeable.

Matt Smith is good, but if he dies in the next episode I will be just like meh (I know the fate of his characters, just saying).

And Alicent is lite Cersei, with the difference that Cersei was so evil she was good in a way. The love for her children really gave her a sort if redeeming quality. But Alicent is so middle of the pack. Not good enough to root for, not bad enough to hate.

Edited by James