Eric Prime

House of the Dragon | GOT Spin-off | Season 2 June 2024

38 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I just love how this story has boiled down to a big messy divorce between two closeted women and their dumb kids killing each other.

Giving shades of

X-Men: The Animated Series Intro, 49% OFF

Looking at european history, the story is also as realistic as it can get (minus the dragons and the magic)

• Like 1

First 90% of the premiere was good but they botched the closing. Super easy layup of a story beat that's one of the biggest points of the story, and they just fizzled it

Initial thoughts: Good first episode, pacing was good, it really flew by. Theyve done Aegons character justice, i think many will re-evaluate their view on him this season to an extent

What i was confused by though was the

Spoiler

ending 15 minutes. Its been a minute since ive read Fire and Blood, but i dont remember the death of Aegons son playing out like that. I could be misremembering though. That whole sequence though felt just a bit weird to me. I kept thinking: Where are the guards? Why were there no guards by the Queen? Idk, it was just a bit strange how that played out

Edit: Though i can understand why they would change Blood and Cheese for TV, since if i remember it right how it played out in the books, that would have been probably way too gruesome for the normies

Edited by Brainbug

9 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Initial thoughts: Good first episode, pacing was good, it really flew by. Theyve done Aegons character justice, i think many will re-evaluate their view on him this season to an extent

What i was confused by though was the

Reveal hidden contents

They basically neutered and rushed the scene in question to make it less traumatic I guess. I completely understand a couple of the changes they made, but some of them were just making the scene actively worse and it was staged poorly in general.

• Like 1

Naah the B&C sequence worked for this show. Show Helaena is more individualistic than Book Helaena so it makes sense why she didn't pick the Crown Prince (who probably reminds her of Aegon) over another kid. The show has excised the younger son to put more focus on the male vs. female dynamic of this story which makes sense thematically.

I get not including Alicent in a more prominent manner too as Season 1 victimized her enough so this sequence would be overkill (also her presence wouldn't make sense as Aemond was intended to be the primary victim unlike in the books, and here B&C weren't even sure which rooms the Royal Family stayed in, much less their daily visitation habits).

As for the lack of guards bit, TBF a real-life person with not many resources managed to sneak into Queen Elizabeth II's bedroom in the 80s. These are medieval times and the intruders mostly used secret tunnels.

As for other complaints... were people waiting for a toddler to get slaughtered ONSCREEN? No comments.

Edited by Spidey Freak

On 6/18/2024 at 12:39 PM, Spidey Freak said:

Naah the B&C sequence worked for this show. Show Helaena is more individualistic than Book Helaena so it makes sense why she didn't pick the Crown Prince (who probably reminds her of Aegon) over another kid. The show has excised the younger son to put more focus on the male vs. female dynamic of this story which makes sense thematically.

I get not including Alicent in a more prominent manner too as Season 1 victimized her enough so this sequence would be overkill (also her presence wouldn't make sense as Aemond was intended to be the primary victim unlike in the books, and here B&C weren't even sure which rooms the Royal Family stayed in, much less their daily visitation habits).

As for the lack of guards bit, TBF a real-life person with not many resources managed to sneak into Queen Elizabeth II's bedroom in the 80s. These are medieval times and the intruders mostly used secret tunnels.

As for other complaints... were people waiting for a toddler to get slaughtered ONSCREEN? No comments.

I assume the lack of guards was from Criston understaffing the royal wing because he didn't want to get caught fucking the queen.

• Like 2

This episode had the right mix of drama, character beats, and slow boiling tension.

Oh and hey the show acknowledged that Alicent actually does have a third son who's been off screen this whole time lol

• Like 1