filmlover

She Said | 11/18/22 | Universal | Carey Mulligan, Zoe Kazan

This is totally going to be Film Twitter villain of awards season (Brad Pitt is producing and He Knew! Annapurna collaborated with The Weinstein Company before! Are the only victims really white women?), but that hasn't stopped movies from winning, even.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

44 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

This is totally going to be Film Twitter villain of awards season (Brad Pitt is producing and He Knew! Annapurna collaborated with The Weinstein Company before! Are the only victims really white women?), but that hasn't stopped movies from winning, even.

Film twitter loves Carey Mulligan still. I think The Greatest Beer Run Ever will be the biggest villain if it even manages to get into the race. I'm discounting Amsterdam cause that's probably going to flop. Empire of Light and The Whale will possibly rub people the wrong way too. 

They should’ve at least waited another 5-10 years before making something like this. Also, Brad Pitt does not seem like a very ideal person to produce a film like this, and I’m not just saying that because he worked with Weinstein before. I don’t think this is a movie that has no right to ever be made, but right now, and with Brad Pitt producing? 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Film twitter loves Carey Mulligan still. I think The Greatest Beer Run Ever will be the biggest villain if it even manages to get into the race. I'm discounting Amsterdam cause that's probably going to flop. Empire of Light and The Whale will possibly rub people the wrong way too. 

Fair points, it might get meh reviews and not be enough of a target. And how could I forget how much Film Twitter likes Carey, remember all the, " Here's how Mulligan can still win!" comments when she was in the race for Promising Young Woman, good times...

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

They should’ve at least waited another 5-10 years before making something like this. Also, Brad Pitt does not seem like a very ideal person to produce a film like this, and I’m not just saying that because he worked with Weinstein before. I don’t think this is a movie that has no right to ever be made, but right now, and with Brad Pitt producing? 

I mean, it's Pitt's production company which also includes women and they're consistently creating adult films with heavy topics like Moonlight, 12 Years a Slave, and upcoming Women Talking

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Yeah, this feels like if Hollywood made an inspiring story about overcoming the blacklist in like 1963 when all the people who enabled and benefited from the issue at hand are still alive, kicking and still benefiting lol

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

Amsterdam will still be in the race by virtue of that cast. So it'll be Amsterdam, because grown adults can't separate art from artist. 

16 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I mean, it's Pitt's production company which also includes women and they're consistently creating adult films with heavy topics like Moonlight, 12 Years a Slave, and upcoming Women Talking

Also, a woman directed this. 

7 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I doubt it since Pitt's also a producer on the year's other #MeToo movie (Sarah Polley's Women Talking).

As for the timeliness of this movie, the average person isn't gonna care. All the President's Men (the other movie this is destined to be compared to in addition to Spotlight) came out within five years of Watergate and is considered the definitive movie about the subject. Not to mention it's based on a best seller (that was published less than two years after the investigation that led to his downfall) and Hollywood will never not want to immediately jump on those (just look at this weekend's biggest new release as Exhibit A) or any other "ripped from the headlines" true story. As long as the movie is good, it's a nonissue.

As someone who has read the book, it'll be interesting to see not only how the industry reacts to this (it's certain to raise the profile of these two reporters after Ronan Farrow had received most of the attention for his role in Harvey's fall because of his Hollywood upbringing), but also the various superstar celebrity lawyers in it who are just as comfortable and eager, if not more so, to appear in front of a camera as any working actor is and are actually deserving of the "they knew" backlash. Imagine all of them are dreading the release of this movie since the fallout is always bigger when the dramatization arrives...all I'll say is that the lady responsible for the false imprisonment of the Central Park Five might have another project to try and sue for defamation soon (everyone dropped her after When They See Us was released and her "I regret nothing" response to her criticism). There's someone whose cancellation was long overdue.

Edited by filmlover

6 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I mean, Pitt is part of the story, as Weinstein tried it with Gwyneth, she told then-boyfriend Brad and he threatened Harvey in response. Gwyneth was one of the first big names to go on the record against Weinstein in the NY Times and probably should be a character in this movie. The Times got Brad to corroborate Gwyneth's story, so in theory, there could even be a Pitt cameo. Wasn't Angelina Jolie part of that same article with Gwyneth? I don't know if any version of this movie was ever interested in onscreen depictions of Goop and Brangelina per se, but Pitt's involvement in the production made the odds even lower, I bet.

11 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I mean, Pitt is part of the story, as Weinstein tried it with Gwyneth, she told then-boyfriend Brad and he threatened Harvey in response. Gwyneth was one of the first big names to go on the record against Weinstein in the NY Times and probably should be a character in this movie. The Times got Brad to corroborate Gwyneth's story, so in theory, there could even be a Pitt cameo (guessing that's not going to happen).

The actress at 27 seconds looked and sounded like her tbh (but obviously isn't the real Gwyneth, who does play a part in the book). It'll be fascinating to see how they handle the famous names that appear in this: Samantha Morton is playing his former assistant, while it remains to be seen who Jennifer Ehle is portraying.

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The actress at 27 seconds looked and sounded like her tbh (but obviously isn't the real Gwyneth, who does play a part in the book). It'll be fascinating to see how they handle the famous names that appear in this: Samantha Morton is playing his former assistant, while it remains to be seen who Jennifer Ehle is portraying.

IMDb lists someone credited with a voice role for Rose McGowan, so maybe that's how they're going to deal with the celebrities who made accusations. And in general, focus more on the women who weren't as famous for onscreen time.

Just looking through the cast list and saw Lisa Bloom as a character, I bet they just lifted her quotes from the news and stuck them right into the script, she'll seem like a cartoon villain.

8 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

IMDb lists someone credited with a voice role for Rose McGowan, so maybe that's how they're going to deal with the celebrities who made accusations. And in general, focus more on the women who weren't as famous for onscreen time.

Just looking through the cast list and saw Lisa Bloom as a character, I bet they just lifted her quotes from the news and stuck them right into the script, she'll seem like a cartoon villain.

I'm almost impressed they didn't just get Bloom to play herself. Her career since the Weinstein scandal (and especially the release of that deranged memo to Harvey that can easily be found online) has been all about attempting to rehabilitate her image as a Crusader for Women and latching herself onto high-profile cases again to the point that I wouldn't put it past her to portray a damning version of herself.

Wonder if her famous mom will make an appearance too given her semi-status as a Hollywood personality (calling Gloria Allred "The Trump of the Legal System" wouldn't be much of a hot take, she's been called much nastier things by her detractors throughout her career) and the role she's played in the system that silenced victims.

On 7/15/2022 at 9:25 AM, filmlover said:

I'm almost impressed they didn't just get Bloom to play herself. Her career since the Weinstein scandal (and especially the release of that deranged memo to Harvey that can easily be found online) has been all about attempting to rehabilitate her image as a Crusader for Women and latching herself onto high-profile cases again to the point that I wouldn't put it past her to portray a damning version of herself.

Wonder if her famous mom will make an appearance too given her semi-status as a Hollywood personality (calling Gloria Allred "The Trump of the Legal System" wouldn't be much of a hot take, she's been called much nastier things by her detractors throughout her career) and the role she's played in the system that silenced victims.

Learning Gloria Allred and Lisa Bloom were related was simultaneously surprising, yet also made perfect sense. There are some parallels to how the Weinstein allegations exploded over the course of several weeks vs Tiger Woods, but also major differences, obviously.