MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

7 hours ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Do you have a source on that? I find that hard to believe if the movie has just a $100 million budget

The 100 mil number has been steady since they started filming. That's the budget. 

6 minutes ago, Redolent said:

Both RT scores will be compared side by side in viral tweets throughout the day. Probably gives more publicity to Oppenheimer than if they were released on different days. 

I think that's right. People will point to whichever movie opens to a higher score and say that one "won"--at least the critic battle. That will generate some publicity, especially for Oppenheimer if it has a better score. However, given the nature of RT, it's very possible (perhaps even likely) that Barbie will have a higher score on the Tomatometer but Oppenheimer a higher average score. Personally, I hope both open with very high scores and everyone just celebrates Barbenheimer! There doesn't always need to be a loser.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stonehenge said:

I think that's right. People will point to whichever movie opens to a higher score and say that one "won"--at least the critic battle. That will generate some publicity, especially for Oppenheimer if it has a better score. However, given the nature of RT, it's very possible (perhaps even likely) that Barbie will have a higher score on the Tomatometer but Oppenheimer a higher average score. Personally, I hope both open with very high scores and everyone just celebrates Barbenheimer! There doesn't always need to be a loser.

based on?

18 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

based on?

Well since TM only tracks positive/negative and not a scale of review, that's a very common scenario.

Joy Ride (2023) TM:92%, Average Rating: 7.5.
La La Land (2016) TM: 91%, Average Rating: 8.7.

A Simple Favor (2018) TM: 84%, Average Rating: 6.9
The Wolf of Wallstreet (2013) TM: 80%, Average Rating: 7.8.

Sausage Party (2016) TM: 82%, Average Rating: 6.8.
Jojo Rabbit (2019) TM: 80%, Average Rating: 7.6.

There are better examples, I'm sure, but I think it still shows my point which is that plenty of movies have a high RT score but a significantly lower average rating than movies with a comparable RT score. Of course, I have no idea what will end up happening with Barbie and Oppenheimer (and I didn't mean to pretend like I did), but Barbie *seems* like the kind of movie that critics would give a positive rating even if they don't think it's worthy of best picture. Oppenheimer, by contrast, has already stirred up plenty of Oscar buzz but has also had a few negative reviews, particularly surrounding the final act, so I think it's very possible that while it may end up with a higher average rating than Barbie, the RT score could be lower. But again, just a guess!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stonehenge said:

Well since TM only tracks positive/negative and not a scale of review, that's a very common scenario.

Joy Ride (2023) TM:92%, Average Rating: 7.5.
La La Land (2016) TM: 91%, Average Rating: 8.7.

A Simple Favor (2018) TM: 84%, Average Rating: 6.9
The Wolf of Wallstreet (2013) TM: 80%, Average Rating: 7.8.

Sausage Party (2016) TM: 82%, Average Rating: 6.8.
Jojo Rabbit (2019) TM: 80%, Average Rating: 7.6.

There are better examples, I'm sure, but I think it still shows my point which is that plenty of movies have a high RT score but a significantly lower average rating than movies with a comparable RT score. Of course, I have no idea what will end up happening with Barbie and Oppenheimer (and I didn't mean to pretend like I did), but Barbie *seems* like the kind of movie that critics would give a positive rating even if they don't think it's worthy of best picture. Oppenheimer, by contrast, has already stirred up plenty of Oscar buzz but has also had a few negative reviews, particularly surrounding the final act, so I think it's very possible that while it may end up with a higher average rating than Barbie, the RT score could be lower. But again, just a guess!

What negative reviews? Those joke tweets about the sex scenes? 

4 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I’ve seen two, maybe three, reviews from French critics criticising the final hour of the movie. I assume this is where the movie drops any pretence at arthouse wankery and goes full Hollywood blockbuster mode. One critic says it becomes like a ‘stampede’ in the last hour and ‘implodes’.

• Like 1

Just now, tonytr87 said:

Alexis Roux:

"2 grandiose hours, where the epic and the intimate blend brilliantly, with Nolan's direction for once focusing above all on emotion.

1 final hour that goes brutally off the rails: muddled, deceptively surprising and weighed down by clumsy dialogue."

Eric Vernay

"a host of stars play the turbo-HPI in a western setting: #Oppenheimer is a bit like Asteroid City with a bomb instead of an alien.  For 2 hours it works, we have a film-brain with an atomic crescendo punctuated by beautiful sapio-sexual scenes, and then the film implodes."

Cyprien Caddeo

"#Oppenheimer is Christopher Nolan's new cerebral kugel, in an unstable state between the tedious and the sublime.
It's a sensory rollercoaster, literally driven to the beat of an opera (yet without Zimmer). 
3 hours is still a long time. Nolan's Babylon?"

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, stonehenge said:

Alexis Roux:

"2 grandiose hours, where the epic and the intimate blend brilliantly, with Nolan's direction for once focusing above all on emotion.

1 final hour that goes brutally off the rails: muddled, deceptively surprising and weighed down by clumsy dialogue."

Eric Vernay

"a host of stars play the turbo-HPI in a western setting: #Oppenheimer is a bit like Asteroid City with a bomb instead of an alien.  For 2 hours it works, we have a film-brain with an atomic crescendo punctuated by beautiful sapio-sexual scenes, and then the film implodes."

Cyprien Caddeo

"#Oppenheimer is Christopher Nolan's new cerebral kugel, in an unstable state between the tedious and the sublime.
It's a sensory rollercoaster, literally driven to the beat of an opera (yet without Zimmer). 
3 hours is still a long time. Nolan's Babylon?"

I mean...they are French. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

Notice how the French complained about the r rating the U.S. ones didn . The French have 3 out of 30 saying the movie is good but last act is not and none of the us reviewers say that infact most American reactions say the last act is the best 

reading the review, i'm sure this will get great reviews in rt probably 85-95% range but reading that majority agree that this is the most dense nolan movie and also runtime is 3hr is a bit worrying to me for audience reception

domestic market and europe audience like or still watch drama or biopic multiple times but for asian audience this probably isnt on their taste. sad because this is have great time to opening in south korea and potential to breakout if audience reception is great.

Edited by rayjulio

11 minutes ago, rayjulio said:

reading the review, i'm sure this will get great reviews in rt probably 85-95% range but reading that majority agree that this is the most dense nolan movie and also runtime is 3hr is a bit worrying to me for audience reception

domestic market and europe audience like or still watch drama or biopic multiple times but for asian audience this probably isnt on their taste. sad because this is have great time to opening in south korea and potential to breakout if audience reception is great.

If it can open 50-60 mil OW domestic it's assured a profit. Hell, even if it opens to 40 mil and drops off to make only 110 or something, that's still enough with global numbers added. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jiffy said:

Was amused to see it looks like the first 10 days of showings at the Lincoln Square IMAX seem basically sold out.

Yeah but they got the shows up through August 13th or something.

Looks like Gran Turismo will not be on that screen.

Edited by cannastop