MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

4 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

In response to a question from The New York Times, Universal said it was not aware of the Barbenheimer controversy.

:jeb!:

Well if they're not going to release the movie in Japan they might as well pretend this doesn't exist.

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

How does that compare to recent Hollywood releases if you don't mind?

— Douban Opening Score —

8.9 | Spider-Man 

8.8 | Barbie 

8.6 | GOTG

8.4 | Mission Impossible 7

8.2 | Super Mario

8.0 | The Flash 

7.7 | DnD

7.5 | Elemental

7.2 | Indiana Jones 

7.1 | Fast X

6.6 | Shazam

6.5 | Transformers

5.5 | The Little Mermaid 

5.1 | 65 Movie

• Like 1

Just now, reddevil19 said:

Fair enough. I've been expecting around 15-20 million from China. I guess this rating doesn't do anything to dissuade me from that, but we shall see.

Oppenheimer being the Last Hollywood Film ahead of October Holidays should be benefited and also the theme. I could be wrong though, China &Korea will the Biggest OS Market for the film.

17 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Oppenheimer being the Last Hollywood Film ahead of October Holidays should be benefited and also the theme. I could be wrong though, China &Korea will the Biggest OS Market for the film.

I don't think its WOM once it hits will be good in China. It just doesn't seem the type of movie that would do well, especially when Nolan is known for more visually spectacular productions. and considering how well it's doing in the UK, I have to disagree with you. 

But if you were right and those two made 70 million each...then wowza lol.

• Like 1

Managed expectations seem to be key with a lot of general audiences enjoying Oppenheimer. Just knowing that it’s a dialogue heavy drama, and maybe even grasping basics of who the main people involved are (esp Strauss) makes all the difference.

Edited by Redolent
  • Like 1

Just was checking IMDB, and spotted Oppenheimer has landed somewhere in the top 30 films of all time and looks to settle somewhere in the top 50 long term. 

So now Nolan has now the highest amount of films in the top 250 films with 8 and pips Martin Scorsese who has 7 and Stanley Kubrick who also has 7.

With Killers of the Flower Moon releasing and potentially being really great then both directors could have 8 films on the list. 

What is really outstanding is that Nolan has 12 films and 8 are on the list. His batting average is epic with the audience reception of his films. 

Whilst Martin Scorsese has directed 25 films and Killers of the Flower Moon will be his 26th.

Stanley Kubrick has 7/13 of his films on the list and is the closest in terms of the average of movies made to how many are on the IMDB 250 films list with more than 4 on the list with Sergio Leone having 4/7.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zlazer said:

Just was checking IMDB, and spotted Oppenheimer has landed somewhere in the top 30 films of all time and looks to settle somewhere in the top 50 long term. 

So now Nolan has now the highest amount of films in the top 250 films with 8 and pips Martin Scorsese who has 7 and Stanley Kubrick who also has 7.

With Killers of the Flower Moon releasing and potentially being really great then both directors could have 8 films on the list. 

What is really outstanding is that Nolan has 12 films and 8 are on the list. His batting average is epic with the audience reception of his films. 

Whilst Martin Scorsese has directed 25 films and Killers of the Flower Moon will be his 26th.

Stanley Kubrick has 7/13 of his films on the list and is the closest in terms of the average of movies made to how many are on the IMDB 250 films list with more than 4 on the list with Sergio Leone having 4/7.  

Dunkirk falling out of the top 250 was something I remember being a bit surprised by. Christopher Nolan is such a darling on IMDb that I didn’t expect a critically acclaimed war movie from him to fall that “low.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Dunkirk falling out of the top 250 was something I remember being a bit surprised by. Christopher Nolan is such a darling on IMDb that I didn’t expect a critically acclaimed war movie from him to fall that “low.”

There is no IMDB "darling". Ultimately its the crowd who votes over there. I think they do demographic breakdown across ages/gender/countries. Nolan being a critically acclaimed active director who directs big successful movies does give him advantage. 

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

There is no IMDB "darling". Ultimately its the crowd who votes over there. I think they do demographic breakdown across ages/gender/countries. Nolan being a critically acclaimed active director who directs big successful movies does give him advantage. 

Does that really contradict what I said? 

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Dunkirk was a bit boring to me

I am a history buff but just was a bit boring 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 2

Imo Dunkirk was an amazing theatralic experience that doesnt hold up as well rewatching it at home. Its style and especially the visuals, music and weight of the movie are made for the biggest possible theater and not a TV screen, more than most other movies.

Still, i think its a very good film with a unique approach to storytelling.

10 hours ago, Redolent said:

Managed expectations seem to be key with a lot of general audiences enjoying Oppenheimer. Just knowing that it’s a dialogue heavy drama, and maybe even grasping basics of who the main people involved are (esp Strauss) makes all the difference.

It is a pretty smartly constructed movie honestly. Some people said the timejumps weren't really necessary, but I do think they make the movie much more entertaining. As someone who didn't know anything about Oppenheimer before, I enjoyed it even more on a rewatch. While there

Spoiler

isn't a huge Nolanesque plot twist, knowing how all the characters are positioned against each other and that the Strauss vs. Oppenheimer dynamic is one of the key themes of the movie made it really riveting to watch it again

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

I don't think the Nolanites were as hard for Dunkirk as critics were. I consistently see them putting it near the bottom of their rankings.

I am in the same boat..I am a big Nolan fan but Dunkirk isn't exactly for me. I wouldn't even have bothered to watch the movie if it was directed by anyone other than Nolan.

Dunkirk & Interstellar are two Nolan movies where you might find notable differences between critics opinion vs Nolanites opinion. Nolanites love Interstellar lot more than critics whereas critics love Dunkirk lot more than Nolanites

IMAX has extended its global run of Oppenheimer an additional week through August 17th, with plans to schedule IMAX showtimes of Oppenheimer through late summer and fall. Oppenheimer is set to debut in IMAX in China on August 30th. Written and directed by Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer was shot in IMAX 65mm and 65mm large-format film photography including, for the first time, portions in IMAX black and white analogue photography.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/imax-delivers-best-july-ever-with-176-2m/

Edited by keysersoze123