MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

7 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Imo Dunkirk was an amazing theatralic experience that doesnt hold up as well rewatching it at home. Its style and especially the visuals, music and weight of the movie are made for the biggest possible theater and not a TV screen, more than most other movies.

Still, i think its a very good film with a unique approach to storytelling.

Maybe that's it. I didn't see Dunkirk in the theater and while it had the Nolan's mastery of the craft and was a good film it left me quite cold. That's a lot said when I've watched almost all hollywood war movies between 30s to present day (except some of the most modern ones and films about Iraq war), and infused with war history since a kid. Nolan's Dunkirk made me feel "why", why was this film made?

The gender split for Oppenheimer’s second weekend (THR)

- not sure most people would have expected that. 

Interestingly, females made up even more of Barbie’s audience in the film’s sophomore outing domestically, buying up 71 percent of all tickets. Often, a film’s gender split will shift in subsequent weekends, as it did with Oppenheimer. Males showing up to see Oppenheimer over the July 28-30 weekend shrunk somewhat, to 58 percent of the audience, while the female audience grew from 38 percent to 42 percent.

• Like 4

• Founder / Operator
1 minute ago, Redolent said:

The gender split for Oppenheimer’s second weekend (THR)

- not sure most people would have expected that. 

Interestingly, females made up even more of Barbie’s audience in the film’s sophomore outing domestically, buying up 71 percent of all tickets. Often, a film’s gender split will shift in subsequent weekends, as it did with Oppenheimer. Males showing up to see Oppenheimer over the July 28-30 weekend shrunk somewhat, to 58 percent of the audience, while the female audience grew from 38 percent to 42 percent.

Makes a lot of sense, IMHO.

16 minutes ago, Redolent said:

Really, in what sense?

I thought the first weekend would draw more casuals for the double feature including women.

My guess is not a lot of people have the energy to do double feature. It requires a lot of time. So those who gained interest through the Barbenheimer theme would watch Barbie first and then later watch Oppenheimer. Plus since Barbie has more shows in general than Oppenheimer, it's just easier to grab an ok spot for Barbie.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator
13 hours ago, Redolent said:

Really, in what sense?

I thought the first weekend would draw more casuals for the double feature including women.

Just a bit of my own expectation and armchair observation, partly in that Barbie's core audience is more narrowly centered around women. Even those who were doing the double feature probably still prioritized seeing Barbie first.

While Barbie clearly had a capacity issue in some places, I think we also have to acknowledge Oppenheimer did just as much if not more so. A great number of people did see both films, but perhaps not on the same day or even the same weekend. And we definitely know how strong demand is for Oppy when looking at how quickly PLF formats have sold out during the first two weeks.

Those audience samples are often taken very early on in the weekend, too. Studios tend to report them by Friday evening or Saturday morning in some cases, so they're often estimates that can fluctuate anyway.

From a statistic standpoint, I think Oppenheimer is mostly playing catch up to the kind of demographic split it would have normally had from the outset. Ditto for Barbie, which I feel drew more men on opening weekend than it would have under normal circumstances. Its 65% female majority was lower than something like Pitch Perfect 2, which was 75% opening weekend.

On the other front, Dunkirk registered a 60%/40% male/female ratio on opening weekend, and it didn't have the kind of cast or dramatic narrative that would be as appealing to women as Oppenheimer is.

I think that's especially true with the positive reception of Emily Blunt's Kitty and how their relationship is central to the story. Nolan hasn't had that kind of romantic narrative so prominent in a film since Inception, and while marketing didn't necessarily lean on it, word of mouth is definitely taking care of that to some extent.

I can't find the demo splits for Inception at the moment, but Interstellar also feels like a good comparable with its cast and father/daughter narrative. That had a near even sample at 52%/48% male/female during its opening.

I'm not sure Oppy will quite stretch out to that split (maybe over time if it can get extended engagements in PLF), but it's at least trending that way while having to face the Barbie behemoth at the same time.

TL;DR -- My takeaway is that Barbie is shedding some of its early male audience share that wouldn't have ordinarily turned out, while Oppy is gaining some of its female audience share that would have turned out earlier on had Barbie not been in the equation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Founder / Operator
2 hours ago, cannastop said:

I'm considering seeing Oppenheimer again in Not-IMAX 70mm. There doesn't seem to be a rush for tickets for that format like for IMAX.

I'm pumping out as many PLF viewings while I can since I know I'll have plenty of time to see it in a standard format if I need to this fall. I imagine Oppy will have a very long exclusive run in theaters leading up to award season (when I expect it to be the favorite). That will also hopefully mean gaining back some IMAX and PLF showtimes here and there.

• Like 2