Eric Lasagna

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

On the phone? The tags are properly placed so it isn't the fault of anyone who posted spoilers in tags. They did it correctly and there's no rule against tagged spoilers in non-spoiler thread that I know of. 

On the phone, yes. I did not mean to blame the posters,  but I read more than I wanted, and I was a bit pissed about it.

Edited by Merkel

It happens on desktop too, it's just a peculiarity of the platform that loads text before it loads the spoiler tag html when things are running slow. It doesn't matter anyway, the thread of the film shouldn't be entirely filled by spoiler tags about the book, and I say it as someone who is currently reading the book. It's not what people should be discussing here.

All changes I've heard so far (that includes the ones in tags) can be worked around in Messiah if he makes it and they don't hurt Dune movie. Books are different medium so you can get away with stuff that don't work in movies and I think he made right decisions. 

• Like 1

Legendary/Warner Bros.’ Dune: Part Two hit three-week tracking today and everyone is going nuts with projections as it’s been a barren marketplace.

The most conservative sees the sequel to the Denis Villeneuve feature adaptation of Frank Herbert’s 1965 novel between $65M+, which is 59%-83% higher than the opening of Dune back in 2021 ($41M); you’ll remember that movie’s ticket sales were siphoned by its day-and-date availability on HBO Max during the pandemic. However, fanboys still went to see Dune in theaters with the movie becoming the second-highest grossing day and date/HBO Max movie for Warner Media at $402M WW (stateside it was a record at $108.3M).

https://deadline.com/2024/02/box-office-dune-part-two-opening-projection-1235819080/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Is this film really only going to do 50% better than the original's opening weekend? The first film was really good, and since it was also on streaming since day one, its hard for anyone to say they couldn't watch the first film.

First one wasnt a conventional Blockbuster tbf. I and many loved it but i have heard complaints of it being slow moving and "cold". Hopefully this one is more inviting to a broader range of viewers though.

1 hour ago, jking123 said:

First one wasnt a conventional Blockbuster tbf. I and many loved it but i have heard complaints of it being slow moving and "cold". Hopefully this one is more inviting to a broader range of viewers though.

Right, but I assume you need to have seen the first part to appreciate part 2, right? (never read the book)

My friend went to the Mexico City premiere.. he was blown away and said that he felt like he witnessed a true masterpiece. Return of the King + The Ten Commandments. He said lots of twists turns and intrigue, He is a Star Wars fan but thought it was even better than TESB. 

I can't wait any longer

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

Very smart of WB to have T,Z,F,A carry the promo blitz. Built-in fandom is already over the moon with how well part 1 turned out so if the popular cast gets more normies especially younger ones that see movies in groups the better.

Trying to decide whether to go see the first one in imax this weekend. I did watch it when it came out and I thought it was super boring.

Has anyone rewatched it and found it improved on second viewing?

I’ve forgotten everything that happened in it, so dunno if I can be bothered with the second one. On the other hand, maybe a rewatch will change my mind.

Rewatches definitely benefit the film. It's just really rich with detail and nuances you don't pick up on at first, even if you're a reader. That re-release today is a great opportunity especially if you have a good IMAX or other large format theater nearby. 

Now that Part Two's been publicly screened once, the hype (see above) sometimes gets deafening. I'd like to believe it, but the thing is premiere audiences are some of the most biased you'll find.

Chances are it will be at the very least a really good film. But especially being at times a necessarily changed beast for the adaptation, I'm trying and mostly failing to keep my expectations in check. 

I'm predicting upwards of $80 million United States opening weekend ($70 - 85 as a range). I have no idea what portion of the WW total will be from there, but worldwide I'll go out on a limb and predict $750 million. If the film opens that strong and has legs, maybe even higher. 

19 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Right, but I assume you need to have seen the first part to appreciate part 2, right? (never read the book)

Definitely. I wonder if there really will be a lot of people unaware of Part One or who figure they don't need it...or relying on those awful YouTube recaps. 

10 minutes ago, IchwanBigBrother said:

Definitely. I wonder if there really will be a lot of people unaware of Part One or who figure they don't need it...or relying on those awful YouTube recaps. 

Villeneuve has said that although it is as a direct sequel as one can be, the movie was still made as to be understandable and able to to follow by those who haven't seen Part One