Eric Lasagna

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

14 hours ago, vale9001 said:

I don't know, what i mean It's certainly from the fanatism of religions, colonialism, holy wars and environment issues this saga is definitely very very linked to current events and current world issues exactly like Oppenheimer.

Then yeah of course that's 100% "explicit" cause It's about real events, this is more symbolic. 

Uh, Herbert was pretty frank that a lot of Dune was inspired by the rise of Islam.

A lot like Game of THrones was inspired by The War of the Roses. Inspired, yes, a out and out transfer to a sci fi setting, no.

As far the screeplay goes, Dune Messiah is going to be a lot harder to adapt then Dune. You have to have read the novel to fullly understand , but Messiah just does not have the story elements for ac tion and spectacle the way that Dune does. This isnot knocking it, but Messiah is heavy on the political and religious drams and short on scenes with huge action potential..where they are built into Dune. And then.....

Spoiler

There is the ending........

While Dune Messiah has lots of philosophical content, the broad strokes are just a simple thriller. You play out 

Spoiler

the conspiracy to remove Paul as the jihad rages and you slowly shift the POV from Paul to Irulan as chief conspirator while Hayt/Alia struggle to figure out their role in the prescient plans of a genocidal coward. You can even throw in a battle scene if you want to have Stilgar overseeing a cleansing. 

Edited by ozardvark

22 minutes ago, dudalb said:

As far the screeplay goes, Dune Messiah is going to be a lot harder to adapt then Dune. You have to have read the novel to fullly understand , but Messiah just does not have the story elements for ac tion and spectacle the way that Dune does. This isnot knocking it, but Messiah is heavy on the political and religious drams and short on scenes with huge action potential..where they are built into Dune. And then.....

Hide contents

There is the ending........

There's a couple of action scenes they can add. Denis has been good at showing scenes only mentioned in the book. 

-The Jihad/Holy War could start the film off. 

-There's some Stilgar battle mentions they could show while Paul is dealing with the politics. Show how Paul is no longer in his element now that he's ruler. 

-The attempted kidnapping of the worm that fails. 

-Denis could add a knife fight scene between blind Paul and Hayt/Duncan as Duncan tries to break his mind control. 

24 minutes ago, ozardvark said:

While Dune Messiah has lots of philosophical content, the broad strokes are just a simple thriller. You play out 

Hide contents

the conspiracy to remove Paul as the jihad rages and you slowly shift the POV from Paul to Irulan as chief conspirator while Hayt/Alia struggle to figure out their role in the prescient plans of a genocidal coward. You can even throw in a battle scene if you want to have Stilgar overseeing a cleansing. 

I am not saying it cannot be a good movie, but it will have to be more of a political thriller then an action spectacle.

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I am not saying it cannot be a good movie, but it will have to be more of a political thriller then an action spectacle.

No doubt, though in some of ways I think that is more naturally in Villeneuve's wheel house than grand spectacle.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ozardvark said:

No doubt, though in some of ways I think that is more naturally in Villeneuve's wheel house than grand spectacle.

On the other hanf, we had of adding spectable scenes to a novel with the Hobbit movies, an it did not work out very well.

11 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

Great debut in France :

4,1/5 in critics (+ 0,1 from the first one)

4,4/5 in audiences (+0,2)

Do you have any comps with other movies with the same number of user ratings (400 ratings)? Avatar 2 currently has 4.2 audience score, Oppenheimer has a 4.3. Wondering if those films started off with a 4.4 and dropped when more ratings got added.

Holy shit, Letterboxd is higher than Across the Spider-Verse. This is straight up masterpiece territory.

But that Spider-Verse Letterboxd rating is so insanely high (4.5 after 1.5M votes holy shit) so Dune is probably going to dip below 

Edited by HummingLemon496

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Do you have any comps with other movies with the same number of user ratings (400 ratings)? Avatar 2 currently has 4.2 audience score, Oppenheimer has a 4.3. Wondering if those films started off with a 4.4 and dropped when more ratings got added.

Assuming we're talking Allocine then yeah A2 was also 4.4, french (and Europe in general) absolutely love Avatar. I don't recall Oppenheimer.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, dudalb said:

uhmmm

Stone Burner, anyone? That's a money shot right there with massive consequences. Also, Alia's combat training with the dummy though whether they'll dare have Anya naked like in the book is a different matter. Even thiugh the attraction of the scene is that she's completely naked.

By the way, I watched it with a friend who's as GA as they come, he watched Part 1 years ago on my recommendation and didn't finish it cause he thought it was boring, he rewatched it again before Part 2 and still didn't really like it, cause he felt it was too dry, and he loved Part 2. He didn't even know who the Harkonnens were he just called them "the bald guys", but he had a great time. I'm hoping for an A cinemascore on the strength of this sample size of 1.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

By the way, I watched it with a friend who's as GA as they come, he watched Part 1 years ago on my recommendation and didn't finish it cause he thought it was boring, he rewatched it again before Part 2 and still didn't really like it, cause he felt it was too dry, and he loved Part 2. He didn't even know who the Harkonnens were he just called them "the bald guys", but he had a great time. I'm hoping for an A cinemascore on the strength of this sample size of 1.

The first got an A- cinemascore. The question is if it will get an A or an A+ cinemascore, A is more likely but A+ is possible. A- is unlikely.

Edited by iEnri