Eric is Quiet

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

I just finish watching the movie. Yeah, this dune 2 is a real deal. I guess we finally found a worthy successor of LOTR if part 3  is equally masterfully crafted and paced as this one.

The battle scene is shorter and “smaller” than I expected though but didn’t hurt the impact overall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, iEnri said:

The first got an A- cinemascore. The question is if it will get an A or an A+ cinemascore, A is more likely but A+ is possible. A- is unlikely.

I will be shocked beyond almost anything else if it gets an A+. That's much less likely than it grossing a billion. Very few top earning films get that score, sometimes even ones which make obscene amounts of money like AVATAR 2 which only managed an A. And DUNE is a lot more polarizing than that, which is why I was relieved when Part One got an A-. I wouldn't be too concerned it Part Two gets the same score, WOM will still be plenty strong enough for it to get its business. 

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

I just finish watching the movie. Yeah, this dune 2 is a real deal. I guess we finally found a worthy successor of LOTR if part 3  is equally masterfully crafted and paced as this one.

The battle scene is shorter and “smaller” than I expected though but didn’t hurt the impact overall. 

Relieved to hear this about the battle scene, although it's what I kind of expected. Villeneuve's a big proponent of "half long, twice strong" when it comes to action which probably helps keep his budgets in line too. 

2 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

By the way, I watched it with a friend who's as GA as they come, he watched Part 1 years ago on my recommendation and didn't finish it cause he thought it was boring, he rewatched it again before Part 2 and still didn't really like it, cause he felt it was too dry, and he loved Part 2. He didn't even know who the Harkonnens were he just called them "the bald guys", but he had a great time. I'm hoping for an A cinemascore on the strength of this sample size of 1.

Yeah I too think Part 1 is boring and I am not this interested watching part 2 because just how the part 1 bored me but the reaction around me has been great. They promise me this round isn't going to be dry like part 1 and I must say their words got me "re"interested in the franchise. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Yeah I too think Part 1 is boring and I am not this interested watching part 2 because just how the part 1 bored me but the reaction around me has been great. They promise me this round isn't going to be dry like part 1 and I must say their words got me "re"interested in the franchise. 

Part 1 is boring, but really only in relation to what I expected going into the film the first time seeing it. Compared to other films, it's really not *that* boring.

1 hour ago, IchwanBigBrother said:

Relieved to hear this about the battle scene, although it's what I kind of expected. Villeneuve's a big proponent of "half long, twice strong" when it comes to action which probably helps keep his budgets in line too. 

I agree the movie is action-packed and well-paced. But some of the character development and creative choices are quite rare in tentpole blockbuster, which got me very curious about just how GA would react to this rarity. On one hand GA could gave great exit score like JW4 or Logan but the movie still legs out meh because of that "uneasy" feeling. Or, this could leave some impactful impression even among those who doesn't like the movie, and allow Dune to leg out unusually well for being memorable.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I agree the movie is action-packed and well-paced. But some of the character development and creative choices are quite rare in tentpole blockbuster, which got me very curious about just how GA would react to this rarity. On one hand GA could gave great exit score like JW4 or Logan but the movie still legs out meh because of that "uneasy" feeling. Or, this could leave some impactful impression even among those who doesn't like the movie, and allow Dune to leg out unusually well for being memorable.   

Haven't seen it yet (have read it and seen previous adaptations) but I've long been of the view that a truly edgy movie in the sci fi realm is overdue for a lot of success. DUNE may fit that bill. My feeling is with the explosive popularity of stories like GAME OF THRONES (which Dune as a book was a huge influence upon) that edge may be more welcome than believed. Villeneuve wasn't just marketing himself when he called it Star Wars for adults. 

The only bad thing about the first movie was It being a part one. It's like you watch an episode of GOT takes all the time to be immersive and to create a perfect atmosphere but then It ends and you can't see a new episode next (or next week in the worst scenario). 

Part one purpose is to let the viewer feel the rhytm of this universe, of these people, how what's mounting in a complex world of conspiracies is coming into the surface in little fragments, so you will feel what's happening next cause now you learned how to observe them and how they move, not because they talk talk and talk and explain things moving fast from scenario to another scenario (speaking of what villenueve said about his cinema).

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

Saw it yesterday and I’m still in awe. What a wonderfully crafted tragic story about power and faith as tools to reach a purpose thru violence and strength, of the body and especially of the mind. It’s crazy to me that Villeneuve was able to visualize such a deep dark tragedy - with 1/3 of the film subtitled - into a successful blockbuster. It’s also a great contemporary generational tale about how the youngsters are fatally linked to the choices made by the oldest within a world order ruled by people in the shadows who are the ones that truly map our future. It’s also a vivid warning of the dangers of religious beliefs and centric power of charismatic leaders. Truly a monumental achievement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Part 1 is boring, but really only in relation to what I expected going into the film the first time seeing it. Compared to other films, it's really not *that* boring.

The first half of Dune is like the first half of many novles; It is a slow build to the second half.

13 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

Saw it yesterday and I’m still in awe. What a wonderfully crafted tragic story about power and faith as tools to reach a purpose thru violence and strength, of the body and especially of the mind. It’s crazy to me that Villeneuve was able to visualize such a deep dark tragedy - with 1/3 of the film subtitled - into a successful blockbuster. It’s also a great contemporary generational tale about how the youngsters are fatally linked to the choices made by the oldest within a world order ruled by people in the shadows who are the ones that truly map our future. It’s also a vivid warning of the dangers of religious beliefs and centric power of charismatic leaders. Truly a monumental achievement.

I agree with the first half   of this

Spoiler

and if you think.this was dark and tragic wait until Dune Messiah/Dune 3

Not sure about the political take, though.

On 2/22/2024 at 2:12 AM, Warmaster506 said:

Lol imagine if this an Avatar 2 came out in the same year?

The war for VFX wins would be epic

Dare I to say every aspect of this movie is an improvement or on par with the part 1, except VFX. Some part it just look like they hide the “less-ideal” VFX with more amazing cinematography shot or obscure lighting and filter. 

23 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

On sad note, both RT and MC scores dropped 1 point to 96% and 79 resspectively.

Anything north of 75 on MC is pretty damn solid IMHO, especially for something as weird and serious as Dune. Also, their algo doesn't make sense sometimes. See the Slate review rating at 70 even though it's pretty close to a rave. RT is the same for top critics. Justin Chang's review for Dune 2 explicitly says it's better than Dune 1 and then dives into comments about Lynch's film. RT has him down as fresh for Dune 1 and rotten for Dune 2. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Parasite said:

Caught a screening of this (first time trying IMAX). Great film, especially the last hour. Show was empty though.

You saw an IMAX pre-release screening and it was empty?

Edited by Derpity

2 hours ago, Derpity said:

You saw an IMAX pre-release screening and it was empty? Are you just making this up?

It was not pre-release. It was a midday screening on a workday, in Malaysia, where it is opening today. 

Edited by Parasite

It probably won't move the needle much, but this review is a notable and somewhat uncommon example of a critic being very won over. 

https://slate.com/culture/2024/02/dune-part-2-zendaya-timothee-chalamet-movie-review.html

The Spectacular New Dune Will Turn Even Skeptics Into Believers

Part Two stops teasing the size of its sandworm and shows us the full monty.

Ahh, that phallic stuff. Hehe

And another:

https://www.sfgate.com/sf-culture/article/dune-part-two-review-18678628.php

'Dune' is the only franchise that matters now

Edited by IchwanBigBrother