Eric is Quiet

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

2 minutes ago, Eric the Car said:

Feel like with Aquaman it's just better to get it over with, especially since you're farther away from Superman: Legacy.

And honestly a March date for this is fine? It's still getting Spring Break money, Easter money, and still tons of IMAX play until Godzilla X Kong. Doubt Snow White or Ghostbusters will have the bargaining power to make IMAX say no to more Dune play.

And tbh Snow White and Ghostbusters are weaker competiton than The Marvels, Hunger Games and Wish

And let’s remember the rumors is that Legendary was the one more inclined to delay it, they want the cast to promote it globally. 

Maybe if it was up to WB decide alone, it wouldn’t be delayed. But Legendary funded a huge portion of the movie so it is what it is. 

I’m more sad because with Dune in March and Godzilla in April, i’m sure they’ll delay Mickey 17 because of the crowded space with WB titles. 

About Dune i’m fine, this was basically the one movie everyone knew could be delayed so i was kinda ready for the announcement. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

No, trades was very clear that WB is determined to release Aquaman this year no matter what, they just want to get rid off the thing 

They must have zero confidence it in. No trailers yet and sticking to that December release date no matter what.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

They must have zero confidence it in. No trailers yet and sticking to that December release date no matter what.

Yes, rumor is that is absolutely awful and they’re testing it and reshoot it a dozen of times at this point 

Variety also just confirmed that they delayed Dune but are planning to keep both Color Purple and Aquaman in their December dates. 

8 minutes ago, Eric the Car said:

Ah yes. March. The famed dump month where no big hits ever get released. Like I'm mad I have to wait a few months, but this is easily the best date possible, especially since WB/Denis cares more about IMAX than they do Oscars.

Second part is right though. Kept telling you guys capitalism would kill us faster than the virus will.

Depends on how you conceptualize Dune as a box office entity. I never pictured this as a huge opener type that would do well anywhere, but as a review-centered film that would benefit immensely from the leggier fall/holiday window. Even May would have sucked, though at least it would have festival buzz from Cannes. Frankly, it needed to get sent to next October-December if it was leaving this year. Just in my humble opinion.

3 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

On the one hand, i’m excited to see the once in a generation clusterfuck this is turning into and almost hope wb dont drop a trailer until like november, but i also worry it could genuinely kill wan’s career. We need a malignant sequel.

• Like 1

Just now, TMP said:

On the one hand, i’m excited to see the once in a generation clusterfuck this is turning into and almost hope wb dont drop a trailer until like november, but i also worry it could genuinely kill wan’s career. We need a malignant sequel.

His career was dead in 2009 after the one-two punch of Death Sentence and Dead Silence flops 

Then he get back to his indie roots and made the great Insidious with full creative freedom and commercial success 

I think he’ll be fine, dude is just too talented and inventive to be buried by a bad DC movie, at this point is more likely people will just blame WB and DC for mess up with his movie (which they did).

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

I mean he's still a massively successful producer on tons of projects and has his own production company. He may not get a big-budget deal, but there's no reason he can't go back to his horror roots.

I don’t think being released in March will necessarily be a huge hit to its Oscar chances.  We just had a Best Picture winner that was released around that time. Still, it is rather annoying that this delay was the result of corporate greed, but the writing was on the wall for a while. 

Dune 2 would have been a non-factor at the Oscars this year. Some here might not like to hear it, but it would have gotten lost in the shuffle against Oppenheimer, KOTFM and Barbie for all the techs and never would have even gotten in the conversation for the big ones, especially when you consider the little movies that could - there would simply be no room for Dune 2. March 2024 is actually a huge boost to its award chances.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I would be willing to bet cash money that Color Purple, Napoleon, and Hunger Games move too. December theaters are going to be fucking barren, Aquaman and Wonka playing to empty screens. Death of the industry.

Sony already moved a lot of things at once, if they didn’t moved Napoleon there is because they won’t now 

Is an Apple movie afterall 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I would be willing to bet cash money that Color Purple, Napoleon, and Hunger Games move too. December theaters are going to be fucking barren, Aquaman and Wonka playing to empty screens. Death of the industry.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/dune-2-release-date-change-2024-warner-bros-strike-1235676007/

Additionally, Warner Bros. is assessing potential new dates for the anticipated movie musical “The Color Purple,” which counts Oprah Winfrey as a producer, as well as the DC Studios sequel “Aquaman and The Lost Kingdom,” sources said. The possible date shuffling comes as the result of striking unions SAG-AFTRA and the Writers Guild of America, at war with show business producers for new contracts.

2020: COVID killed theaters

2021: COVID killed theaters again

2022: Streaming killed theaters

2023: Studios killed theaters

In hindsight, the final option really does make the most sense. There's going to be nothing to show this Christmas at this rate.

• Sad 1