Eric is Quiet

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

18 minutes ago, Driver said:

Furiosa is less likely given the prequel nature of it. Beetlejuice 2 may prove good but it's highly doubtful it ends up a major awards contender given Burton's track record at the Oscars and the comedic nature of it. Unless it's a Barbie-level triumph, just not happening

I think the dark horse is Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes. It could at least steal some technical awards away from Dune: Part Two if it turns out to be amazing. 

1 minute ago, Mephariel said:

I think the dark horse is Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes. It could at least steal some technical awards away from Dune: Part Two if it turns out to be amazing. 

The previous three were all brutally overlooked by the Academy so I very much doubt things would change nowm

10 minutes ago, Driver said:

Is that a joke?

Asa a Zendaya fan I'll be watching it and I didnt say the majority of the reviews will be negative but this seems like a either love it or hate it.

10 minutes ago, joselowe said:

Asa a Zendaya fan I'll be watching it and I didnt say the majority of the reviews will be negative but this seems like a either love it or hate it.

The second one is not legit and obviously fake. Mendelson's review literally recommends seeing it so it is mixed at worst.

But seriously, cherry picking bad reactions while ignoring the swarms of positive ones is something I'm not sure why so many do. That led to many people "underpredicting" RT scores of movies like Wonka and MI7.

• Like 6

Started re reading the book to get ready… oh boy, the spice is flowing…. also, just beyond weird to be excited for a movie again haha. Last time was… oppenbarbie? 

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

After Oppenheimer wins Best Pic this year, Dune 2 can take it next year. It would be the 2nd Sci Fi film after EEAAO to win in 3 years, so the Academy doesn't have to feel bad about giving it to 2 SF films in a row.

How is Oppenheimer science fiction?

28 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

some of you fall too quickly 

Can't wait for people to uncritically repost the inevitable Ben Mekler tweet. 👍 

(yes, I checked to see if he's tweeted/skyed/threaded)

((not yet :ph34r:))

• Like 1

I didn't quite get to loving Dune even though I loved most elements of it - I liked it very much, but it was a bit emotionally chilly and turgid and geometric for me. People forget how much a movie like Lord of the Rings. BR2049, or even TDK trilogy hit the heartstrings in a way this just doesn't tap into. I doubt this one has that either but if it substitutes genuinely electric political stakes and commentary that'd be a fine substitute! 

• Like 1