Eric Furiosa

Strange World | Walt Disney Animation Studios | Comes to Disney+ on December 23rd

I didn't say I expected it to make 500-600M. I said that's how much it probably would have made if there was no pandemic, and Disney actually went out of their way to promote it. Obviously, neither of those things is true. The way things are, it'll probably struggle to break the 150M mark. Maybe it'll make it past 200M, the way Encanto did, but I doubt it. 

Edited by El Squibbonator

5 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Big Hero 6 was a box office hit though, I wonder why a sequel was never made? It made more than Wreck it Ralph did, yet Ralph got the sequel.

I think BH6 has a longer cultural impact in the end, I mean isn't something in California Adventure turning into San Fransokyo, there was a TV show, they're still making BH6 merch.

Meanwhile I'm here thinking "Wow, it would sure be nice to have something tangible to commemorate the 10th anniversary of WIR beyond a SM post."

6 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Reviews are better than I anticipated honestly. Thought this was gonna get the same score as Lightyear.

Speaking of Lightyear, why does that movie have a certified fresh rating but DSMOM which has the same rating does not? 🙄

Edited by poweranimals

14 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Speaking of Lightyear, why does that movie have a certified fresh rating but DSMOM which has the same rating does not? 🙄

If we're following RT rules, Multiverse of Madness should have been certified for while but RT took their sweet time to give it a certified fresh rating (probably because of Wonder Woman 1984 and how that fell from like 89% certified fresh to being rotten at 58%) and they ended up certifying it right as it dropped to 74%, but it needed be certified at 75%+, so they dropped the certified fresh marker for the film. If it ever gets back up to 75% then they might certify it again.

Lightyear has been certified at 75% for a while now and only recently dropped to 74%. It needs to drop below 70% for it to lose the certified status. Doesn't really change the fact that both films had lukewarm critical reception though.

• Like 1

Yeah, this looks DOA now. Really needed enthusiasm to make up for the anemic marketing.

Fortunately Disney has someone in charge now who won't be as quick to draw dubious conclusions about audience interest in theatergoing from it

Edited by AniNate

24 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Yeah, this looks DOA now. Really needed enthusiasm to make up for the anemic marketing.

Fortunately Disney has someone in charge now who won't be as quick to draw dubious conclusions about audience interest in theatergoing from it

I mean I doubt Iger could have save. Unappealing looking films like Lightyear and this

The critics consensus blurb is pretty down on this one as well but I guess it lines up for being arguably the worst reviewed WDAS film in over 15 years, although even Meet the Robinsons has a more positive blurb to line up with it:

Strange World is a Disney milestone in terms of representation -- but as a storytelling experience, this dazzlingly animated adventure offers little audiences haven't already seen.

Meet the Robinsons is a visually impressive children's animated film marked by a story of considerable depth.