Eric the Fall Guy

Strange World | Walt Disney Animation Studios | Comes to Disney+ on December 23rd

7 hours ago, PNF2187 said:

The critics consensus blurb is pretty down on this one as well but I guess it lines up for being arguably the worst reviewed WDAS film in over 15 years, although even Meet the Robinsons has a more positive blurb to line up with it:

Strange World is a Disney milestone in terms of representation -- but as a storytelling experience, this dazzlingly animated adventure offers little audiences haven't already seen.

Meet the Robinsons is a visually impressive children's animated film marked by a story of considerable depth.

Raya deserved the same blurb as SW. TBH BH6 is also good characters and a world criminally wasted in a formulaic film. Don Hall has weak storytelling instincts. The critics have finally caught on.

Also WDAS, it wouldn't kill you to let your diverse stories be told by diverse storytellers.

• Like 4

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-office/black-panther-strange-world-thanksgiving-box-office-estimates-1235438896/

They're gonna take a huge bath with this:

"That’s a problem because animated films tend to come with hefty price tags — closer to $180 million for “Strange World”
Edited by JWR

I did say around this time last year, even if in the immediate aftermath it might've looked stupid given Encanto's eventual streaming success, that there is a "sameness" that is starting to take hold in Disney's feature length animated work. Very little to distinguish Strange World aesthetic wise from all the other recent WDA movies. They could use of a shot of the visual creativity they display in their Short Circuit programs to give their future movies a more interesting hook, and maybe greenlighting more personal ideas that are the kind of thing that keeps Pixar afloat. Can't say I'm very optimistic about Wish at the moment.

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I did say around this time last year, even if in the immediate aftermath it might've looked stupid given Encanto's eventual streaming success, that there is a "sameness" that is starting to take hold in Disney's feature length animated work. Very little to distinguish Strange World aesthetic wise from all the other recent WDA movies. They could use of a shot of the visual creativity they display in their Short Circuit programs to give their future movies a more interesting hook, and maybe greenlighting more personal ideas that are the kind of thing that keeps Pixar afloat. Can't say I'm very optimistic about Wish at the moment.

I think the best thing for them to do with Wish is to emphasize that it's celebrating 100 years of Disney Animation. 

9 minutes ago, AniNate said:

in what world?  I would say the opposite problem is true - Strange World has some weird unappealing faces on all main characters compared to the usual Disney animation. I haven't seen the film yet (and I bet I'll like it enough) but it's a choice. And Wish just from previews already looks great - both the main character & the goat.

Edited by InVy
  • Like 4

besie poor marketing and lack of buzz. the film is fine.

that audience score is cealry.. from "them".

looks like some are mad about lgbt/black lead characters.

anyway, the discourse is annoying. the right is full on lgbt/black hate right now.

left is like we want sex scene or all fake representation. 

Disney might as well go back to white/straight/male driven films for profit and sanity.

• Disbelief 1

35 minutes ago, imbruglia said:

besie poor marketing and lack of buzz. the film is fine.

that audience score is cealry.. from "them".

looks like some are mad about lgbt/black lead characters.

anyway, the discourse is annoying. the right is full on lgbt/black hate right now.

left is like we want sex scene or all fake representation. 

Disney might as well go back to white/straight/male driven films for profit and sanity.

Are we doing this whole black lead backlash thing again.

BP

Spiderverse

Creed etc ...

Black leads have been well recieved and and do well at the box office for a while now.

Stop using bad apples to generalize the whole market.

Just love how poeple are turning on the verified audience score yet it has been consistent.

And this has a "B" which is disastrous for animation.

Yeah won't deny there is definitely homophobic reviews and sentiment but VA and CS seem to agree and those are the best for detecting GA reception.

Disney should have marketed it Truthfully and showed LGBT elements. But it's Disney so them not doing it is expected.

23 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Are we doing this whole black lead backlash thing again.

BP

Spiderverse

Creed etc ...

Black leads have been well recieved and and do well at the box office for a while now.

Stop using bad apples to generalize the whole market.

Just love how poeple are turning on the verified audience score yet it has been consistent.

And this has a "B" which is disastrous for animation.

Yeah won't deny there is definitely homophobic reviews and sentiment but VA and CS seem to agree and those are the best for detecting GA reception.

Disney should have marketed it Truthfully and showed LGBT elements. But it's Disney so them not doing it is expected.

you quote marvel film. spiderman charcater and sequal to Rocky Balboa.

the reality is those case are very few good apple, driven by obvious other big factor.

9 bad review out of 49 verifed review are like this, and who knows with other 0.5 star think. lol

1. Very inappropriate for kids

2. Its totally inappropriate to walk into a kids movie with no heads up that they will be presenting that. It ruined the whole movie. 

3. Sad day for Disney ... interracial couple has a son ... son has a boyfriend ... WTH is wrong with our society

4. besides the woke factor it wasn't to bad.

5. Movie was alright, just didn’t like the constant “sexuality” theme that Disney keeps trying to sneak into its movies.

6. Did not like the in your face sexuality of the young characters

7. Not good. Too woke for my taste

8. Very disappointed with the PC path Disney is choosing

9. wish there was a warning about homosexuality

anyway, sample is too small.

but ironically it has 87% score in homophobic south korea where gay marrige is illegal, lgbt is barely visible on media or society. 

so yeah. that 60% is clearly not all that and B cinema score was clearly lowered due to that audience.

• Like 2

How did this thing get greenlighted? Recently, the weakest link of Disney animation is story telling. I feel many stories are forced or rushed. Disney need to go back to fairy tales/children's master pieces for their ideas. That is a short cut but works.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, imbruglia said:

you quote marvel film. spiderman charcater and sequal to Rocky Balboa.

the reality is those case are very few good apple, driven by obvious other big factor.

You do know of a franchise called,rings of power, she hulk, starwars v etc.... Which are all under a popular franchises and had lots of factors going for them to. Don't need to tell you the backlash on those.

Don't matter whether it's a popular IP . So my point still stands on the examples I have given.

2 hours ago, imbruglia said:

yeah. that 60% is clearly not all that and B cinema score was clearly lowered due to that audience.

TLJ and CM still both got A cinemascores despite major review bombing and backlash. If there was any backlash there would be a major discrepancy btn Audience score and cinemascore like for TLJ and CM.

9 out of 49 review is small percentage. and can barely affect general consensus or cinemascore poll morever dragging it all the way to 

a B!

When will people learn that section of the internet is peanuts compared to GA.

Do I think this movie is as bad as the score is saying but for me the cinemascore is telling that the GA is not connecting and we all know how sensitivite movie going audience can get on kid related fims. Especially in the US.

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, kkccoo said:

How did this thing get greenlighted? Recently, the weakest link of Disney animation is story telling. I feel many stories are forced or rushed. Disney need to go back to fairy tales/children's master pieces for their ideas. That is a short cut but works.

The problem is that Disney is not willing to go to the whole way. If they made this at like 100m budget. Marketed it having the LGBT elements maybe it would have scoped up 350ish million which would be solid. 

Disney didn't have faith in this movie.  

Disney sure loves throwing money at projects.