Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

4 hours ago, PenguinXXR said:

‘Batman’ AMC Surge Pricing Postmortem: Exhibitor Not The First Major To Hike Ticket Prices On A Superhero Pic; Making Sense Of The Madness

https://deadline.com/2022/03/batman-spiderman-movie-ticket-price-increase-amc-1234972159/

Thought some of this info was interesting for tracking/extrapolation purposes....

• Close to 60% of Batman‘s moviegoers bought their tickets before opening day per Comscore’s PostTrak, while 76% of them bought them online (vs. at the theater). We hear that AMC repped close to a third of the $100.3M Batman grosses in its first two days, Regal 20% of that number and Cinemark 15%.
  • As you can see, No. 2 theater circuit Regal was charging $13.73 on average during Spider-Man‘s opening, above their average ticket price of $12.91. Cinemark was charging $11.19 on average for the Jon Watts-directed title vs. $10.63 while AMC that weekend charged an average of $13.92 to a regular price ticket of $13.21. This weekend for Batman, AMC’s average ticket price was $14.50 (vs. $13.22 regular ticket price), Regal’s was $13.44 (vs. $12.67) and Cinemark’s $11.25 (vs. $10.25).
  • EntTelligence reports that 20 million people stateside saw Spider-Man: No Way Home during weekend one versus 9.5M for The Batman.

I don't understand the big deal they all making of this whole thing.

Also IDK how they getting this so wrong. Their ATPs are way off. 

AMC reported that 5M people in US watched NWH during weekend in press release. The gross was $64.05M. That's ATP of $12.81. Even our tracking was giving us under $13.75 ATP during weekend assuming all seats sold were adult ones, so actual ATP was close to $12.75-13 only. 

And here's ENT telling us AMC ATP was $13.92 for NWH :worthy:

Per my estimates, Top 3 chains had around 12.5M admits for NWH ($153M gross) and overall 23M approx admits for the weekend. 

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

The Lost City Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-19 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 55 85 12340 0.69%

Total Seats Sold Today: 6

Comp

0.977x of Uncharted T-19 (3.61M)

The Lost City Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-18 and Counting

TOTALS 0 55 100 12340 0.81%

Total Seats Sold Today: 15

Comp

0.411x of Scream T-18 (1.44M)

0.602x of Uncharted T-18 (2.23M)

This was when Uncharted officially had its tickets on sale, so this is why there's such a huge drop from the previous day and should not be indicative of anything wrong with Lost City's current run. Decided to also throw Scream into here since I think there's enough of a demographic crossover and horror films are largely backloaded in their ticket runs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, datpepper said:

Seems like Sonic 2 is the latest to have preview times start at 3pm on Thursday.

See I'm okay with this because now I can finish up tracking and still get to an appropriate showtime when I'm off work. :ph34r:

On 3/6/2022 at 11:00 PM, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

The Lost City Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-18 and Counting

TOTALS 0 55 100 12340 0.81%

Total Seats Sold Today: 15

Comp

0.411x of Scream T-18 (1.44M)

0.602x of Uncharted T-18 (2.23M)

This was when Uncharted officially had its tickets on sale, so this is why there's such a huge drop from the previous day and should not be indicative of anything wrong with Lost City's current run. Decided to also throw Scream into here since I think there's enough of a demographic crossover and horror films are largely backloaded in their ticket runs.

The Lost City Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-17 and Counting

TOTALS 0 55 103 12340

0.83%

Total Seats Sold Today: 3

Comp

0.414x of Scream T-17 (1.45M)

0.536x of Uncharted T-17 (1.98M)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Still don't understand why Universal stuck Ambulance in April. Of course different audience than Sonic, but still there's March 18th that could have been better. April 15 has Fantastic Beasts, April 22 also another date but that would have Northman. 

If anything, April 29 like Pain and Gain week before Iron Man 3

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Still don't understand why Universal stuck Ambulance in April. Of course different audience than Sonic, but still there's March 18th that could have been better. April 15 has Fantastic Beasts, April 22 also another date but that would have Northman. 

If anything, April 29 like Pain and Gain week before Iron Man 3

It was supposed to open February 18 but ultimately gave it up once it became apparent Uncharted was gonna be the winner that weekend (by how much, nobody knew at the time). March ended up being vacated for Batman to rule. April 8 was probably the best date they could find to get some large screen format play without the chance of getting steamrolled by Doctor Strange and the summer tentpoles that will follow it.

18 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Still don't understand why Universal stuck Ambulance in April. 

Both Ambulance and Bad Guys are being released overseas on March 17-24, but keeping their April slot in USA for some reason

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

Two weeks before Doctor Strange have nothing set to play in IMAX although The Northman is supposed to be getting Dolby Cinema on April 22. I guess if it becomes super leggy WB can always bring The Batman back for one last large format push before Strange's arrival if Fantastic Beasts dramatically underperforms.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Two weeks before Doctor Strange have nothing set to play in IMAX although The Northman is supposed to be getting Dolby Cinema on April 22. I guess if it becomes super leggy WB can always bring The Batman back for one last large format push before Strange's arrival if Fantastic Beasts dramatically underperforms.

Now that the possibility March extended release seems dead, I think April 29 is a pretty decent date to push NWH for a final hurrah, playing into DS2 anticipation.

• Like 1

BTW this is what the summer IMAX schedule looks like now:

May 6: Doctor Strange

May 27: Top Gun

June 10: Jurassic World

June 17: Lightyear

July 1: Minions

July 8: Thor

July 22: Nope

July 29: Black Adam

Marketing materials for Elvis and Bullet Train say that they'll be getting PLF treatment but nothing about IMAX.

• Like 5