Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

The play here since back when it was green lit was to coast by as a probably shitty movie probed up by Spider-man goodwill through the means of some  thin Easter egg bait.

Spoiler

But they fumbled the Easter eggs, and it leaked, turning off that whole crowd. Now there’s nothing left except GA appeal which it evidently lacks as well.

Just checked my theatre for Morbius and ya it’s bad. Only 31 seats sold over 6 showtimes. TSS was 100 seats over 4 showtimes final numbers, not sure this is even gonna get close to that number tbh. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

Morbius is at about 46.4% of Tuesday before releases numbers of Shang Chi at my theater ($34.86m) and Let There Be Carnage ($41.83m). That’s what I’m guessing.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Meanwhile, AmbuLAnce got cucked at the Marcus theaters near me by Sonic. Not only does it have to share with Sonic but most theaters with one or two PLFs but the biggest which are the biggest in my state only have one showing for it in the late evening. They don’t even get the coveted 7:00 pm slot. Sun Prarie even gave it the bigger PLF.

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Meanwhile, AmbuLAnce got cucked at the Marcus theaters near me by Sonic. Not only does it have to share with Sonic but most theaters with one or two PLFs but the biggest which are the biggest in my state only have one showing for it in the late evening. They don’t even get the coveted 7:00 pm slot. Sun Prarie even gave it the bigger PLF.

I wonder if AmbuLAnce is like a Matrix situation. The contract ensures IMAX but every other PLFs goes to it’s more family friendly competitor.

19 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I wonder if AmbuLAnce is like a Matrix situation. The contract ensures IMAX but every other PLFs goes to it’s more family friendly competitor.

It takes over the PLFs from Sonic at night at the theaters near me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Morbius is at about 46.4% of Tuesday before releases numbers of Shang Chi at my theater ($34.86m) and Let There Be Carnage ($41.83m). That’s what I’m guessing.

Sonic 2 did about 36% of 9 days before release of TS4 ($42.9M), 92% of Aladdin ($82.5M), 84% of Pikachu ($44.5M) and same as DM3 ($70M)

Pretty wide range but I don’t like how the comparisons are showing low 40s.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Sonic 2 did about 36% of 9 days before release of TS4 ($42.9M), 92% of Aladdin ($82.5M), 84% of Pikachu ($44.5M) and same as DM3 ($70M)

Pretty wide range but I don’t like how the comparisons are showing low 40s.

Are you comparing Thursday numbers or full weekend sales? 

5 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Are you comparing Thursday numbers or full weekend sales? 

Full weekend. It is the quickest for me but here’s the Thursday conversion. Either way, not a fan.

TS4 ($4.32M)

Aladdin ($6.44M)

DM3 ($4.1M)

Pikachu ($4.67M)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Full weekend. It is the quickest for me but here’s the Thursday conversion. Either way, not a fan.

TS4 ($4.32M)

Aladdin ($6.44M)

DM3 ($4.1M)

Pikachu ($4.67M)

So are these comps based on tracking comparative ticket sales between Thursday or from looking at ticket sales for the entire weekend at your theater? (Sorry, wasn't clear the first time)

16 minutes ago, YourMother said:

TS4 ($4.32M)

Aladdin ($6.44M)

DM3 ($4.1M)

Pikachu ($4.67M)

These look good!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

So are these comps based on tracking comparative ticket sales between Thursday or from looking at ticket sales for the entire weekend at your theater? (Sorry, wasn't clear the first time)

Comparative based on the Thursday preview

13 minutes ago, Villain Legion said:

These look good!

I mean granted these comparisons are older by a bit but wouldn’t for a $50m OW especially for the Pikachu comparison want a preview around 5-6m?

Something to be aware of when it comes to Morbius.

There is gonna be a literally historic matchup at the Final Four between arch-rivals Duke and UNC.  These are two of the more storied college basketball teams (they have been to a combined 36 Final Fours between the two of them) and they have NEVER met in the NCAA Playoffs before.  Not once.  Add in the fact that this is possibly Coach K's final game as a coach (he's retiring at the end of the season), and well...

It's an old joke around these parts about Pacquiao and Mayweather, and it's not like Morbius was gonna get a ton of attention anyway.  But there will be a ton of interest in this matchup in one of Morbius's key demos and I do think it might be something of a factor.

Not a "It would have cleared 70m 60m 50m without it" factor.  But kinda won't be surprised to see a depressed Sat across the board.  At least when it comes to flicks that compete directly with that demo.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I mean granted these comparisons are older by a bit but wouldn’t for a $50m OW especially for the Pikachu comparison want a preview around 5-6m?

Sonic 1 was very backloaded, the sequel will be less so but I wouldn't expect it to play like a CBM

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Morbius Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-4 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 74 1109 15649 7.09%

Total Seats Sold Today: 96

Comp

0.559x of Shang-Chi T-4 (4.92M)

0.777x of Venom 2 T-4 (9.01M)

0.444x of Eternals T-4 (4.22M)

Morbius Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-3 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold