Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

On 4/7/2022 at 11:42 PM, Eric the Hedgehog said:

Fantastic Beasts 3 Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-7 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 79 890 16391 5.43%

Total Seats Sold Today: 96

Comp

0.578x of Shang-Chi T-7 (5.08M)

0.842x of No Time to Die T-7 (5.31M)

0.962x of Dune T-7 (4.91M)

0.424x of Eternals T-7 (4.03M)

1.241x of Ghostbusters: Afterlife T-7 (5.59M)

Fantastic Beasts 3 Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-6 and Counting

TOTALS 0 79 967 16391 5.90%

Total Seats Sold Today: 77

Comp

0.578x of Shang-Chi T-6 (5.09M)

0.849x of No Time to Die T-6 (5.35M)

0.955x of Dune T-6 (4.87M)

0.443x of Eternals T-6 (4.21M)

1.274x of Ghostbusters: Afterlife T-6 (5.73M)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

On 4/7/2022 at 11:48 PM, Eric the Hedgehog said:

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-28 and Counting

TOTALS 0 234 6890 45297 15.21%

Total Seats Sold Today: 728

Comp

0.546x of Spider-Man: NWH's First Two Days of Sales (27.3M)

1.723x of The Batman's First Two Days of Sales (37.22M)

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-27 and Counting

TOTALS 0 234 7300 45297 16.12%

Total Seats Sold Today: 410

Comp

0.547x of Spider-Man: NWH's First Three Days of Sales (27.35M)

1.730x of The Batman's First Three Days of Sales (37.37M)

Gonna get rid of these "First X Days of Sales" stuff starting tonight. So I guess I just...won't have any comps for a while. Oh well!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

First run for Dr. Strange last night:

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Alpha Chain
Premiere Night Seat Report: T-27 days

Last Day        
Showings Added 6,659        
Seats Added 1,128,589        
Seats Sold 231,342        

4/8/2022 Theaters Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Pct. Sold
Total 427 6,659 231,342 1,128,589 20.50%

% of Seats Sold Sellouts 90%+ 80%+ 70%+ 60%+
# of Showings 5 26 136 387 692

ATP          
$17.07          
Edited by ZackM
Added ATP
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Astonished 1

On 4/6/2022 at 4:44 PM, cax16 said:

Dr Strange day 1 sales at 24 nearest theatres, 11159 tickets sold, Batman was at  this number after 17 days of presales so we obviously have a big opening weekend coming as we all expected. The earliest tracking data I have for The Batman was day 4 of presales and that was at 6032 tickets sold. 

Can now do a direct comp with The Batman,

day 4 of sales for Dr Strange 16370 at nearest 24 theatres 

day 4 of sales for Batman was 6032

I’ll do a count again at like day 14 for another direct comp. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-27 and Counting

TOTALS 0 234 7300 45297 16.12%

Total Seats Sold Today: 410

Comp

0.547x of Spider-Man: NWH's First Three Days of Sales (27.35M)

1.730x of The Batman's First Three Days of Sales (37.37M)

Gonna get rid of these "First X Days of Sales" stuff starting tonight. So I guess I just...won't have any comps for a while. Oh well!

Final count comps?

37 minutes ago, ZackM said:

Alpha Chain

Last Day        
Showings Added 6,659        
Seats Added 1,128,589        
Seats Sold 231,342        

ATP          
$17.07          

Around where I was seeing it. That would mean can now come out with Nationwide estimates.

I have it at $18M approx 24 hours and $22M approx in 3 days. The previews alone are probably around $10-10.5M.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ZackM said:

Alpha Chain

Last Day        
Showings Added 6,659        
Seats Added 1,128,589        
Seats Sold 231,342        

ATP          
$17.07          

Any idea how accurate the ATP you had for NWH previews is VS this ATP? Seems impossible that it's 18% higher since December. 

3 minutes ago, KnucklesXXR said:

Any idea how accurate the ATP you had for NWH previews is VS this ATP? Seems impossible that it's 18% higher since December. 

Increase in ATP doesn't mean they increased tickets. NWH sold way more normal seat after burning out its premium seats lowering its ATP down compared to Doctor Strange 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Increase in ATP doesn't mean they increased tickets. NWH sold way more normal seat after burning out its premium seats lowering its ATP down compared to Doctor Strange 2.

I should have realized that. The Batman has a similar ATP as DSITMOM, and both are explainable that way. 

Piling on at this point, but right now MoM PLF+DBOX is 43% of all sales in Sacramento.

(for comparison, Dune was in the 70s for the longest time before finally getting dragged down closer to release)

Oh, yeah, been meaning to comment on this.

MoM seems to be getting more of a 3D push than other recent CBMs.  A bit more showtimes locally and in a few more in the matinee window (which could be read a few different ways).

I've seen some musing about whether or not this will translate into more 3D ticket sales or not, especially as the concept might be more 3D friendly (plus low grade Avatar 2 teaser mumblings)

Right now 3D tickets account for 9.03% of all sales in the region (706/7822).  For comparison, NWH after day 3 had 6.57% of all sales in the region (1003/15268).  So not a huge jump, but an increase nonetheless. 

Something I'm gonna be keeping an eye on, especially if the Avatar 2 teaser drops (not that I expect that to be a major push in this day and age of instant access to trailers, but I am still... curious).

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

Oh, yeah, been meaning to comment on this.

MoM seems to be getting more of a 3D push than other recent CBMs.  A bit more showtimes locally and in a few more in the matinee window (which could be read a few different ways).

I've seen some musing about whether or not this will translate into more 3D ticket sales or not, especially as the concept might be more 3D friendly (plus low grade Avatar 2 teaser mumblings)

Right now 3D tickets account for 9.03% of all sales in the region (706/7822).  For comparison, NWH after day 3 had 6.57% of all sales in the region (1003/15268).  So not a huge jump, but an increase nonetheless. 

Something I'm gonna be keeping an eye on, especially if the Avatar 2 teaser drops (not that I expect that to be a major push in this day and age of instant access to trailers, but I am still... curious).

I know I have mentioned this before, and I hope it’s been at least a couple years, lol.

The mom and pop kinda chain I worked for hated 3D and knew people hated it, so 3D times for the non-prime spots. 

Then we were bought out by MTC and I moved and worked for a different GM.  He’s like “You absolutely put 3D shows in the prime time slots!  If they REALLY don’t want to do 3D, they’ll leave and come back for 2D. If they get there and they don’t care, then they’ll pay for 3D”

He wasn’t really wrong either. 

Edited by Deep Wang
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I know I have mentioned this before, and I hope it’s been at least a couple years, lol.

The mom and pop kinda chain I worked for hated 3D and knew people hated it, so 3D times for the non-prime spots. 

Then we were bought out by MTC and I moved and worked for a different GM.  He’s like “You absolutely put 3D shows in the prime time slots!  If they REALLY don’t want to do 3D, they’ll leave and come back for 2D. If they get there and they don’t care, then they’ll pay for 3D”

Seems like you could make even more money by charging 3D price for 2d shows in prime slots.   

Except that people would go apeshit because of weird American pricing norms.

51 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

It's funny you mention that, as I figure the regional manager/general manager for [MAJOR THEATER CHAIN DELETED] thought that way locally for the longest time here, but finally broke down and stopped reserving 3D PLF Prime Time Slots.  I reckon just getting relative crickets at those 6pm-8pm showtimes while getting lots of traffic at [OTHER MTC DELETED]/[OTHER SHOWTIMES AT THAT MTC WHICH WEREN'T 3D] which didn't do that finally got it through their thick heads that while 3D PLF has its fans, folks voted with their wallets (and their feet) by and large.

Either that, or a new regional manager took over. :lol: 

I do have something of a pair of competing theories about why I'm seeing more 3pm to 6pm 3D PLF slots for MoM than I'm used to (i.e. any).  Part of me wonders if its "Eh, matinee gets lesser foot traffic anyway, so might as well shove the underperforming 3D slots there" while another part of me wonders "We know the Must See It As Soon As Possible Fanatics Superfans are gonna see it come hell or come high water, so shove the 3D showing there and rake in those up-charges".  Maybe even a little of column A and a little of column B.

If I remember/have the inclination, when this is all said and done I might do a compare/contrast with the 3D PLF NWH showings vs the 3D PLF MoM showings and see if there is actually any difference or if I'm just chasing shadows/imaging it.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

And, yes, @Deep Wang the MTC I'm describing here is the same one you are. :lol: 

Makes me also wonder if there was how much pressure there was from corporate bosses to try to push 3D. At the time I just felt it was a stubborn regional manager.  But as I hear stories like yours, does make me wonder if there was more to it.

This is one good thing about competition, naturally.  Folks aren't captive (as much) to the whims and dictates of one set of regional bosses and can just go down the metaphorical street to someone else if they are following a different strategy. 

This is one area Sacto is lucky.  We got three chains duking it out locally (two majors and a minor) plus a fourth chain which has one theater as well as a true independent.  Hell, count the drive-in theater, then we got six different companies competing locally, and that's before you get to the art-house/indie theaters in the region. 👍

• Like 1