Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

HAHAHAHAHA

They refunded their ticket. BACK TO ZERO BABY! We’re in for a glorious bomb for the ages folks, this is ridiculous!!!

People are done with silly CGI superhero nonsense. Absolutely done. Quantumania was the nail in the coffin. Easy money no more. These movies will need to show they have a reason to exist (GotG3 and The Flash will both do well, Aquaman and Marvels will mega tank).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, CJohn said:

People are done with silly CGI superhero nonsense. Absolutely done. Quantumania was the nail in the coffin.

Something tells me some of it might be people have no clue its even coming out...haven't seen any ads for it here . By comparison I was seeing ads for scream 6 more then a month ahead of time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

People are done with silly CGI superhero nonsense. Absolutely done. Quantumania was the nail in the coffin. Easy money no more. These movies will need to show they have a reason to exist (GotG3 and The Flash will both do well, Aquaman and Marvels will mega tank).

Flash I think is being overpredicted, and it could flop with its 300m+ budget 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Firepower said:

Guardians underperfomance would be a confirmation. Or not.

if guardians 3 with good reception fails to cross 850m$ ww then easy money from superhero movies r done ! super hero genre will go to mcu phase 1 era or before that ! with good movies doing 400-500m$ and well set up great movies doing 800m or 1b$ !

On 3/2/2023 at 8:38 PM, TheFlatLannister said:

GREATER ORLANDO REGION 

FRIDAY NIGHT SHOWINGS 

JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 4

T-22

SHOWINGS

TOTAL SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

4.5%

SELLOUTS

Looks very good to me 

GREATER ORLANDO REGION 

FRIDAY NIGHT SHOWINGS 

JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 4

T-10

SHOWINGS

TOTAL SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

10.8%

SELLOUTS

SHOWINGS ADDED SINCE     T-22

SEATS SOLD SINCE T-22

With strong reviews and Shazam faltering, John Wick is poised to overperform big time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know shazam 2 doesn't look particularly appealing, but its still a shame its flopping since the first one was the best dceu movie and better than any phase 3 mcu movie

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 5

18 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I don't get why this is funny.

Here's what ChatGPT had to say.

Generally speaking, it might be considered "funny" by some people if Shazam: Fury of the Gods bombs at the box office because it is a follow-up to the successful 2019 film Shazam!, and there may be significant amusement in seeing a sequel underperform compared to the original. Additionally, there may be some entertainment value for some individuals in seeing a big-budget movie fail, particularly if they hold a negative view towards the film industry, the superhero genre, or the DC Extended Universe franchise.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1
  • Haha 9
  • Astonished 2

9 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I know shazam 2 doesn't look particularly appealing, but its still a shame its flopping since the first one was the best dceu movie and better than any phase 3 mcu movie

First Half GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

John Wick 4

Thurs Mar 23 and Fri Mar 24 (t-10)

Vancouver and Calgary Canada

# theatre #show Seats Sold Seats Rem Ttl seat Percent
Vancouve Thurs 3 15 305 3154 3459 0.0881
  Fri 3 17 388 3430 3818 0.1016

# theatre #show Seats Sold Seats Rem Ttl seat Percent
Calgary Thurs 4 13 88 2811 2899 0.0303
  Fri 4 17 180 3479 3659 0.0491
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

John Wick 4 Marcus T-9

Thursday:

Showtimes: 223

Seats Sold: 2725/40530

Don't have any great comps this far out, Black Adam was 4212 at T-6 with about 400 shows. I mostly use 2-3 blocked seats per show as a rough approximation, so would like to see Wick at 3800ish on T-6 to be equal to BA. 

Friday:

Showtimes: 277

Seats Sold: 3151/53887

Nothing at all useful for this. Other than Black Adam, the only movies I have tracked this far out are big sellers like WF, Thor, Avatar 2, and I don't seem to have data for Black Adam's Friday. Considering Friday showtimes are not much higher than Thursday, the real sales for Friday do seem to be ahead of Thursday, which is a good sign for IM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1