Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

47 minutes ago, screambaby said:

Dealdline trying to break their record for worst underprediction ever

NWH was underestimated by 130M just a few years ago :sparta:

Spoiler

Tbf I think that was just Sony and trades were only like 100M low or whatever

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Austin said:

Reddit is a bloodbath atm with the trades' updated forecasts of the weekend for ATSV.

i feel sorry for r/boxoffice 

they dont know any better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Austin said:

Reddit is a bloodbath atm with the trades' updated forecasts of the weekend for ATSV.

Listen, I’ve been trying to set some of our Reddit friends straight on SV for like 3 or 4 weeks … to not much success

But to be fair, on that sub I’m a rando who probably doesn’t sound any different than a Flash fan calling for a massive OW

Edited by M37
  • Like 1

Just now, M37 said:

Listen, I’ve been trying to set some of our Reddit friends straight for like 3 or 4 weeks 

But to be fair, on that sub I’m a rando who probably doesn’t sound any different than a Flash fan calling for a massive OW

i love your profile picture

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, M37 said:

Listen, I’ve been trying to set some of our Reddit friends straight on SV for like 3 or 4 weeks … to not much success

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEZC9ajtjAlKgk8oS5IYE

28 minutes ago, M37 said:

Tbf that subreddit has grown pretty fast recently, a lot of the users are probably new to box office and haven't really experienced the trades putting out hilariously wrong numbers as much as many in this thread have. They will learn (hopefully).

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Austin said:

It's so weird.

From my experience...well, maybe it's just a vocal minority, I see more people who complain about people "overestimating" Spider-Verse than people actually going high on Spider-Verse. I assume its because people were really high on SV at one point (there was a thread wondering if it or Mario would make more at the box office) and others are now trying to rein people's expectations in so that whatever numbers the film does achieve don't end up being relatively disappointing despite the obvious increase. Which is fair, but then you have people actually believing that Spider-Verse is gonna open to the numbers Deadline posted domestically because... Variety said the same thing? Even though it's pretty much known that Deadline underpredicts to make films look good when it surpasses their low expectations? I don't get it. I'm pretty sure Spider-Verse is a Reddit darling, too.

Maybe that's just me though, I'm still fairly new to this whole thing so maybe there's something I don't understand. I know it's the tracking thread, so I won't say much more though.

Edited by Koni
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Tbf that subreddit has grown pretty fast recently, a lot of the users are probably new to box office and haven't really experienced the trades putting out hilariously wrong numbers as much as many in this thread have. They will learn (hopefully).

If they couldn't learn from Mario, I doubt Across the spider-verse will enlighten them.

19 minutes ago, Koni said:

It's so weird.

From my experience...well, maybe it's just a vocal minority, I see more people who complain about people "overestimating" Spider-Verse than people actually going high on Spider-Verse. I assume its because people were really high on SV at one point (there was a thread wondering if it or Mario would make more at the box office) and others are now trying to rein people's expectations in so that whatever numbers the film does achieve don't end up being relatively disappointing despite the obvious increase. Which is fair, but then you have people actually believing that Spider-Verse is gonna open to the numbers Deadline posted domestically because... Variety said the same thing? Even though it's pretty much known that Deadline underpredicts to make films look good when it surpasses their low expectations? I don't get it. I'm pretty sure Spider-Verse is a Reddit darling, too.

Maybe that's just me though, I'm still fairly new to this whole thing so maybe there's something I don't understand. I know it's the tracking thread, so I won't say much more though.

I've seen this too but I hope they get proven wrong so they can realize not to trust the trades too much

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 1:02 PM, keysersoze123 said:

Transformers MTC1

Wednesday - 14589/35651 291826.93 179 shows +1390

Previews - 24431/621999 464285.17 3323 shows +2372

Friday - 17400/847605 322830.76 4309 shows +2325

Another 3+ days of presales. Just chugging along. 

Transformers MTC1

Wednesday - 16181/35850 322802.51 179 shows +1592

Previews - 27392/626484 519755.72 3353 shows +2961

Friday - 20138/848252 372407.68 4320 shows +2738

2 days and most of key hours of presales today. I think its definitely amping up as we are approaching the final week. Definitely think  50M OW at this point looks possible. Let us see how things go.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, M37 said:

Hey now don’t sell yourself short you’re famous on Reddit 👀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Menor Reborn said:

I joined r/boxoffice at the beginning of March and I joined BOT before Mario's second weekend and I picked up on some of this stuff after a couple weeks just lurking. I get some joined the sub for Mario and whatever, but man, some of those people are inexcusable. People be throwing out insults and pulling data outta their asses like they vets in the industry, but they really just be blowing smoke.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, Austin said:

I joined r/boxoffice at the beginning of March and I joined BOT before Mario's second weekend and I picked up on some of this stuff after a couple weeks just lurking. I get some joined the sub for Mario and whatever, but man, some of those people are inexcusable. People be throwing out insults and pulling data outta their asses like they vets in the industry, but they really just be blowing smoke.

to be fair BOT has/had its fair share of people like that (though on a much small scale since we don't have a million users) 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Spider-man across the Spiderverse Previews

MTC1(T-2) - 167480/839881 2911270.62 4766 shows +29806

MTC2 - 94988/554085 1365274.56 3871 shows +17213

Spider-man across the Spiderverse Previews

MTC1(T-1) - 211082/861376 3585469.10 4953 shows +43602

MTC2 - 117575/551493 1657534.27 3867 shows // this is around of afternoon

I will get T-1 for MTC2 and post it in the morning. I am thinking 135K T-1 and around 250K finish over there.  That said MTC1 is showing there is NO reason to question this movie's breakout potential at this point. I think it will have the 2nd biggest final day of sales of presales we have seen. May be even highest if it does 4x today which is not crazy. 

I am thinking ~19-20m previews at this point. I will update Friday in the morning as well and I feel that would have done slightly better today as well. I am thinking 275k presales finish for opening day and may be 300-325K walkups. That will get to 600k and ~40m true friday. You can extrapolate from that what the OW will be. It will have amazing walkups similar to Mario(not same) and so OW will be better than what we will see with early friday estimates. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Astonished 14

FWIW, Spider-Verse doubled its amount of screenings here in the past week and tickets are now flying off the shelves after being stagnant for a bit. Walkups are probably going to be huge.

When I meant 2nd biggest, its past 2 years. I did not track Endgame and so have no clue what happened final day though based on general feel, there were not that many tickets available and any new shows added were sold out very quickly and that played in like 70% of the screens overall. 

Based on MTC data we have NWH has had the highest final day at MTC1 and that also sold crazy amount of tickets before that. So hitting that level does not make Spiderverse comparable to NWH. 

Edited by keysersoze123

1 hour ago, Menor Reborn said:

That’s exactly why I lurk here all the time for actual info and analysis, that place is a shit show especially with casuals lol. Been following the box office for 11 years and recently found this 2 years ago,  nobody does it better then y’all amazing job to everyone who tracks here your work is appreciated! 

Edited by mmed1345
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, M37 said:

Why Would You Do That Failure To Launch GIF by Laff

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1