The Wild Eric

No Way Home Weekdays/Matrix & Sing Thread (12/20-23) | 37.1M Monday/32M Tues | King's Man 800K Previews

20 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Yeah, Dune had an amazing run, considering.

Though I think the IMAX format & overall visual aesthetic made it more marketable as a theater-first experience.

To be fair to Dune, the movie also had rave reviews, festival screenings that emphasized big-screen fun, and just had a much bigger campaign that emphasized "see it on the biggest screen possible". It felt like the latter promotion for Dune was everywhere, while Matrix felt like they did little to promote the "see it on the biggest screen" aspect of it.

17 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

For what it's worth, Matrix DID sell out the two IMAX showings near me, and did mediocre everywhere else. But it had less IMAX than Spidey and no Dolby.

And that's another big issue plaguing Matrix and every other movie this year. The IMAX/PLF skews this year are obscene and judging by a lot of this year's holds, folks now basically refuse to watch a movie if it isn't on a premium screen. Which yeah, is really awful when it comes to new films like Matrix and breakouts like Spidey. How do you account/retain certain screens/formats?

I guess the heavy skew is because home theater systems are more accessible for people? At this rate, theaters need to have like 2 or 3 IMAX auditoriums and like 2 Dolbys/4DXs/RPXs/ScreenXs/SpandeXs in order to get people out of the house. Which yeah, that would cause a lot of issues from both a competition and infrastructure standpoint.

• Like 3

Yeah it looks like The Matrix had a perfect storm for floppage: mixed reviews, a franchise with an older audience, omicron fears, overshadowed by NWH, hybrid release on HBO max, and probably some sequel skepticism thanks to the last two. 

I was hoping for the best but there's no blue pilling this opening.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Yeah it looks like The Matrix had a perfect storm for floppage: mixed reviews, a franchise with an older audience, omicron fears, overshadowed by NWH, hybrid release on HBO max, and probably some sequel skepticism thanks to the last two. 

I was hoping for the best but there's no blue pilling this opening.

Exactly. I was constantly predicting big things for the movie, much bigger than this, but even when making those predictions I always said this should really come out in summer of 2022 and it was in a bad date and bound to suffer due to HBO Max. Reviews were a bit more mixed than expected, screen count was lower, and NWH was bigger than even the wildest predictions. Those factors could take "hit with some downside" to "disappointment" real quick.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

So assuming it tops out at 675, this is bound to have the ugliest legs among the mega openers of December 😌 so much for A+ magic, first EG, now NWH

MCU truly jinxed the power of Cinemascore 

675? Are you high? It’s gonna be near that by Jan 1st

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

And that's another big issue plaguing Matrix and every other movie this year. The IMAX/PLF skews this year are obscene and judging by a lot of this year's holds, folks now basically refuse to watch a movie if it isn't on a premium screen. Which yeah, is really awful when it comes to new films like Matrix and breakouts like Spidey. How do you account/retain certain screens/formats?

I guess the heavy skew is because home theater systems are more accessible for people? At this rate, theaters need to have like 2 or 3 IMAX auditoriums and like 2 Dolbys/4DXs/RPXs/ScreenXs/SpandeXs in order to get people out of the house. Which yeah, that would cause a lot of issues from both a competition and infrastructure standpoint.

Yep.  I get this.  A local AMC IMAX screen where I am in Florida right now sold out its 7:00pm Spider-Man screening tonight *hours* before it started.  Yes, it's Christmas, and yes, it's Florida... but I'm also of this mindset now, I must admit.  I'm really only interested in seeing movies like DUNE and SPIDER-MAN in theaters at all if they're on LIEMAX or at the very least DOLBY.  I'm done with "basic" screens for blockbuster movies.  (And even one or two of the local multiplex IMAXs near my main home location are sub-par.)   

I still haven't seen Spidey -- currently now have a ticket for next MONDAY!  

(I'm still a bit wary of heading into a completely-full theatre of fanboys during our COVID era...)

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JonahVex said:

I think the weekend will be 140 mil, definitely see this movie legging out beyong TFA, maybe $1bil 

675 is a joke. 1 billion isn’t happening either. Omicron numbers are going to be insane soon. Media narrative will be nuts. Glad it got a ton so quickly 

2 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Yep.  I get this.  A local AMC IMAX screen where I am in Florida right now sold out its 7:00pm Spider-Man screening tonight *hours* before it started.  Yes, it's Christmas, and yes, it's Florida... but I'm also of this mindset now, I must admit.  I'm really only interested in seeing movies like DUNE and SPIDER-MAN in theaters at all if they're on LIEMAX or at the very least DOLBY.  I'm done with "basic" screens for blockbuster movies.  (And even one or two of the local multiplex IMAXs near my main home location are sub-par.)   

I still haven't seen Spidey -- currently now have a ticket for next MONDAY!  

See I'm still the stalwart when it comes to PLFs. You guys know me as the psycho Timothee fan, and even I didn't shell out extra for Dune in IMAX. Outside of the costs, if you feel you have to see a movie on the biggest, loudest screen to get anything out of it, then do you really like the movie in the first place? I feel a movie should stand on its own without those bells and whistles.

Of course, I'm the only one who thinks this way, and I can't deny this is what the future holds. Which again, is just not good for anybody in the long run, as things are way more expensive and more limiting in terms of both options and locations. So now a trip to the movies will be like...a trip to a theme park. Martin was right all along and nobody cared to listen. 🙃

• Knock It Off 1

I'm not sure if we get to the point where theaters shut down or people change their moviegoing behavior due to Omnicron, but we very soon could get to a point where so many people are testing positive that a plurality of the public cannot go to the theater. We keep talking about people not going to the theater out of fear, but maybe we might need to talk about people not going to the theater because they literally have COVID.

Lest you think I'm just being negative nancy again, the below thread is good news that continues to be replicated and could bring an end to COVID quicker.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eric Smith said:

See I'm still the stalwart when it comes to PLFs. You guys know me as the psycho Timothee fan, and even I didn't shell out extra for Dune in IMAX. Outside of the costs, if you feel you have to see a movie on the biggest, loudest screen to get anything out of it, then do you really like the movie in the first place? I feel a movie should stand on its own without those bells and whistles.

Of course, I'm the only one who thinks this way, and I can't deny this is what the future holds. Which again, is just not good for anybody in the long run, as things are way more expensive and more limiting in terms of both options and locations. So now a trip to the movies will be like...a trip to a theme park. Martin was right all along and nobody cared to listen. 🙃

I get you.  But how do we know whether we like the movie until we see it?  In normal non-COVID years (godwilling they come back), I'll still go see lots of arthouse/independent stuff throughout the year at other arthouse theaters.  But for me, I'm older than many of the chaps here, and life is short, and I figure -- if I'm going to see a blockbuster at all, why not just go for all the bells and whistles!  It's rare for me these days when I'd go see anything more than once in theaters.  But part of that is also my overall feeling about many contemporary Hollywood spectacles in the last 10-20 years. 

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm not sure if we get to the point where theaters shut down or people change their moviegoing behavior due to Omnicron, but we very soon could get to a point where so many people are testing positive that a plurality of the public cannot go to the theater. We keep talking about people not going to the theater out of fear, but maybe we might need to talk about people not going to the theater because they literally have COVID.

If everyone has it then nobody has it. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

if you feel you have to see a movie on the biggest, loudest screen to get anything out of it, then do you really like the movie in the first place? I feel a movie should stand on its own without those bells and whistles.

This makes no sense to me.  It's an audio/video medium.  These "bells and whistles" are inherent to the artform.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

If it’s just me I like to see my blockbusters as well as films where the format would work well like musicals, animation, the occasional drama, etc but normal screenings aren’t a deal breaker.