Eric is Quiet

No Way Home Weekdays/Matrix & Sing Thread (12/20-23) | 37.1M Monday/32M Tues | King's Man 800K Previews

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

At this point, I don't think we get another 150m non-Disney or Marvel movie outside of Jurassic World. 

I've already got like a 12-paragraph-long rant planned to complain about the state of moviegoing and how bleak AF things will be 10 years from now. Don't know if I'm going to use it now though. Probably if Sing 2 really stinks by the end of the holiday.

6 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Batman? 

Just now, YourMother said:

I think The Batman can.

See I do agree here, but even then it's still basically another superhero title and like a good chunk of people watching probably think it's from Marvel anyways. For like 5 years, I've explained to my Dad that Batman/Wonder Woman/Superman/whoever is not a Marvel character.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Batman? 

Oh yeah of course but that's still a superhero movie. I think Aquaman and Flash get there too. So I amend to say any non-Marvel, DC, or Disney movie.

I don't know whether to be more worried about movies like Uncharted making 50m (when they would have made 120) or movies like The Northman making 15m (when they would have made 40). Regardless, it's all bad. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Would it though? Even with Holland coming right off of Spidey, that movie looks flop city.

Uncharted itself may be a bad example, but I mean the collection of movies that make between 100-150 every year. Now, either you hit above 150 or fall below 50. There's no more middle class at all.

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Doesn’t surprise me. There was a total of 10 people (including me and a friend) at my show yesterday. Parking lot was full, I assume for Spidey/Sing.

With 6.4m opening day it might struggle to top the opening weekend of the first movie.

Curious to see the HBO Max numbers for Matrix, considering everyone I know watched it on there. Same thing happened with Suicide Squad tbh. TSS was rightfully considered a huge disappointment, but the Max numbers were actually pretty great after that all died down.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 2

Still not sure how it did that low when pre-sales indicated $10M+ should've happened. Must've completely flatlined in terms of walk-ups and/or it wasn't able to grab anyone who wasn't already committed to seeing it on the big screen. As mentioned before it was obviously stuck in a brutal position, but these numbers are low enough that perhaps, in retrospect, this would've been lucky to match the total of Revolutions regardless of the circumstances.

13 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Goddamn, so the 5-day for Matrix won't even match the 3-day of Dune?? WB what are you doing?

I wonder why Godzilla v. Kong and Dune were literally the only 2 WB movies this year to even somewhat break free from the HBO Max shackles.

Edited by Starphanluke

3 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Goddamn, so the 5-day for Matrix won't even match the 3-day of Dune?? WB what are you doing?

I wonder why Godzilla v. Kong and Dune were literally the only 2 WB movies this year to even somewhat break free from the HBO Max shackles.

may not even Match the 5 day of the original Matrix from 1999

2 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Being PG-13 spectacles likely made them much easier to sell to a very broad audience than R-rated ones (Suicide Squad, Matrix), perhaps.

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Would it though? Even with Holland coming right off of Spidey, that movie looks flop city.

The new trailer is decent and Holland is red hot. I actually think it would have crawled to the 100M.

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

The new trailer is decent and Holland is red hot. I actually think it would have crawled to the 100M.

The 2018 Tomb Raider did fine despite a smaller franchise (video game sales wise) and much smaller star power than Holland/Wahlberg. It would have done at least 75 IMO in normal times.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Before I saw the presales I thought Sing 2 had real SLOP 2 potential (who cared about the first?), but I admit the presales had me thinking breakout.

It still could? Given how fluke-y the first movie's performance seemed to be in non-pandemic times, an opening day within close range of the previous one seems like a good sign of audience retention. Gotta wait until next week to get an idea of where it's headed.

• Like 1