Eric Atreides

The Flash Leaks Discussion | Enter if you dare!

I talked this over with @grim22, so here's the compromise. If you want to discuss recent leaks from The Flash and the implications these might have, you can only talk about them here in this specific thread in the DC Media club. Since this is far away from the main forum, it circumvents the spoiler issue, since most people who would really like to talk about this stuff are hardcore DC fans anyways.

If you do not want to be spoiled from this movie, even by leaks that might not even happen, STAY AWAY RIGHT NOW

And of course, if you disagree with what somebody is saying, please be courteous, respectful, and understanding to your fellow BOT members. Debate calmly, don't hurl insults, don't do anything passive-aggressive or hurtful, etc. You guys know how to treat your fellow members with respect...so do it.

Have fun!

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611f2a44e2e601bb71f66

• Like 1

I'll be honest, I'm intrigued by the idea of Batgirl being DCEU's Batman. I figured Keaton long term wasn't practical for obvious reasons. I guess I'm intrigued because with my burnout with the Batman IP, this...is actually something new and interesting. I mean if you don't want/like that, fine you still have regular ole Batman in his own shindig. I know it's beloved now, but I'm old enough to remember Batman Beyond happened and alot of Batman fans online were....not receptive to the idea initially to say the least. The fact that show was basically Batman skin wrapped around the ole Spider-Man formula (teenager struggling to balance social life and superheroics) was another layer. But (1) that new IP approach made that Batman sandbox feel fresh again and (2) fans generally were quickly won over. 

As for wiping out MOS/BVS/whatever from the timeline, I find that detail weird. Yeah I wasn't a fan of that stuff, but I do respect that stuff does have (very vocal) fans. Why tell people that invested time/emotions in something that "yeah this thing doesn't count/matter anymore." That's a turn off and God knows how an actual fan of that stuff would feel. 

I'm reminded of when Alan Moore took over Swamp Thing and how he decided to do away with the ole stale Fugitive plot engine that ran that character/book for eons and booked it so "Alec Holland" has always been dead its just his memories had been absorbed in the resulting chemicals/shrubbery that emerged. Thus you open up new stories and things for our green hero to tackle, yet also you don't insult the loyal fans. Hey those old stories still counted! Best of both worlds. 

Batfleck is done with this stuff and WB/Cavill apparently couldn't come to new terms or get along* so you gotta recast or do something going forward if you want this shared universe to keep going in some form. Those are the facts. But surely there is a better approach to be had? Am I that naive? 

23 minutes ago, RRA said:

As for wiping out MOS/BVS/whatever from the timeline, I find that detail weird. Yeah I wasn't a fan of that stuff, but I do respect that stuff does have (very vocal) fans. Why tell people that invested time/emotions in something that "yeah this thing doesn't count/matter anymore." That's a turn off and God knows how an actual fan of that stuff would feel. 

Seems like it would be very easy to just ignore it going forward. I don't see why doing an explicit wipe is necessary at all. 

The Batgirl and Supergirl stuff is whatever to me, I like the individual DC movies decently (Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Shazam, TSS etc.) but am not invested in the shared universe at all atm, so whoever leads the Justice League is sort of immaterial to my enjoyment. Still it does feel kinda...odd, like a desperate move to feel "new." Like I don't see a reason why those characters couldn't exist alongside new incarnations of Batman and Superman. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

25 minutes ago, RRA said:

I'll be honest, I'm intrigued by the idea of Batgirl being DCEU's Batman. I figured Keaton long term wasn't practical for obvious reasons. I guess I'm intrigued because with my burnout with the Batman IP, this...is actually something new and interesting. I mean if you don't want/like that, fine you still have regular ole Batman in his own shindig. I know it's beloved now, but I'm old enough to remember Batman Beyond happened and alot of Batman fans online were....not receptive to the idea initially to say the least. The fact that show was basically Batman skin wrapped around the ole Spider-Man formula (teenager struggling to balance social life and superheroics) was another layer. But (1) that new IP approach made that Batman sandbox feel fresh again and (2) fans generally were quickly won over. 

I'm reminded of when Alan Moore took over Swamp Thing and how he decided to do away with the ole stale Fugitive plot engine that ran that character/book for eons and booked it so "Alec Holland" has always been dead its just his memories had been absorbed in the resulting chemicals/shrubbery that emerged. Thus you open up new stories and things for our green hero to tackle, yet also you don't insult the loyal fans. Hey those old stories still counted! Best of both worlds. 

Batfleck is done with this stuff and WB/Cavill apparently couldn't come to new terms or get along* so you gotta recast or do something going forward if you want this shared universe to keep going in some form. Those are the facts. But surely there is a better approach to be had? Am I that naive? 

From what I understand nothing is being wiped out, it’s just the multiverse now where all the events happened but the timeline is different, and while some event outcomes may be different all those characters still exist. Maybe I’ll end up being wrong but honestly something needed to be done after a JL movie opened to under a 100m and couldn’t even make 660m WW, people just don’t care about the dceu Batman or Superman so taking a different approach is smart. They can always work back in Superman, they have two projects in development now. 

Edited by cax16

9 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Seems like it would be very easy to just ignore it going forward. I don't see why doing an explicit wipe is necessary at all. 

The Batgirl and Supergirl stuff is whatever to me, I like the individual DC movies decently (Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Shazam, TSS etc.) but am not invested in the shared universe at all atm, so whoever leads the Justice League is sort of immaterial to my enjoyment. Still it does feel kinda...odd, like a desperate move to feel "new." Like I don't see a reason why those characters couldn't exist alongside new incarnations of Batman and Superman. 

They do exist though, if I’m right, basically Keaton will be replacing Affleck as the DCEU Batman and Batgirl will be there along side him and I’m assuming they’ll be bringing in a new incarnation of Superman if they feel these movies are successful enough. Unfortunately as much as I like Cavill I guess they couldn’t work out a deal with him to continue. Obviously that sucks but I’m a bigger Superman fan then Cavill fan so I just want to see Superman on the big screen again and will be happy with Supergirl content right now till they figure out the best route to go with Superman. 

I assume they went this route with Batgirl cause they didn’t want to recast Batman cause of Reeves and Pattinson movie. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

So, was that guy who claimed that Henry Cavill would be in the movie (the one who leaked the new Flash suit) full of crap? 

No, apparently he is in the movie. We just don’t know to what capacity yet. Only time will tell. 

Edited by cax16

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

So, was that guy who claimed that Henry Cavill would be in the movie (the one who leaked the new Flash suit) full of crap? 

The person who leaked that set photo with Flash's new suit said that they worked with Cavill and Batman in one scene. The person was not trolling or wasn't even a fan, they were just happy for making a big movie. People didn't believe them and then they proved by posting the set photo. And Hamada himself said that he invited all JL members to join the film.

I'm not saying it's a lie because I was always expecting this (new JL formed at the end without Ben and Snyder movies erased), but the Cavill stuff is really weird. And, like Aquaman, it didn't have a test screening yet, while other movies like Batman, Black Adam and Shazam did.

2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

They do exist though, if I’m right, basically Keaton will be replacing Affleck as the DCEU Batman and Batgirl will be there along side him and I’m assuming they’ll be bringing in a new incarnation of Superman if they feel these movies are successful enough. Unfortunately as much as I like Cavill I guess they couldn’t work out a deal with him I continue which sucks but I’m a bigger Superman fan then Cavill fan so I just want to see Superman on the big screen again and will be happy with Supergirl content right now till they figure out the best route to go with Superman. 

I assume they went this route with Batgirl cause they didn’t want to recast Batman cause of Reeves and Pattinson movie. 

Ah, maybe I was just unclear about what the leaks were. I saw people talking about "replacing" Superman and Batman and "erasing" the Snyder movies, things like that, but maybe was hyperbole. 

1 minute ago, Menor Reborn said:

Ah, maybe I was just unclear about what the leaks were. I saw people talking about "replacing" Superman and Batman and "erasing" the Snyder movies, things like that, but maybe was hyperbole. 

Ya, again we don’t really know what’s true or not. Info has been out for a while that Affleck wasn’t returning and Keaton would be the mentor “Nick Fury” role going forward working with Batgirl. So we still have a DCEU Batman.

The Superman stuff I just have no clue about, there’s been reports of Cavill being on set and then Grace said he’s only seen in footage so who knows. We know there was reports from last year how they wanted Cavill back for cameos and etc but maybe they couldn’t make a deal and now they’ve decided to just use supergirl for now while they rework the Superman stuff.

With respects to the Snyder stuff, as I mentioned above, I think some timeline events and outcomes will “change”, will it all be erased? In my mind, doubtful but who knows. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, belblazer said:

The leak is saying that his Superman is shown on TV with old footage. So he wouldn't be in the movie.

Ya, I know but who knows who’s right or wrong. Apparently the movie starts testing next month so I’m sure we’ll know what happens then. 

I liked what I read. It seems something new and interesting. We already have Batinson trilogy and spin-offs in the works and about 3 or 4 Superman projects coming. I feel bad for Cavill because his case is not the same as Ben, but I will wait for a real screening or confirmation about his Superman situation.

And I think that they have intentions to adapt Crisis on the year DC turns 100 which will be in 12 years.

At least we got one proper JL movie out of this but what a shitshow. Keaton is my guy, best Batman, best Batman movies but why wasn't he brought back for a Beyond film instead? And having him as a mentor figure with Batgirl as the lead Bat hero in the DC universe is just bizarre, seeing the Bat family on screen would've been much cooler. I get Affleck didn't wanna come back but just recast/soft reboot it. The continuity between these is already non existent so what's the harm. 

13 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

At least we got one proper JL movie out of this but what a shitshow. Keaton is my guy, best Batman, best Batman movies but why wasn't he brought back for a Beyond film instead? And having him as a mentor figure with Batgirl as the lead Bat hero in the DC universe is just bizarre, seeing the Bat family on screen would've been much cooler. I get Affleck didn't wanna come back but just recast/soft reboot it. The continuity between these is already non existent so what's the harm. 

Who says we won’t be getting that? 

And why would they recast/soft reboot when they want the focus to be on Pattinsons Batman. This works better for their universe.

Also, Batgirl is a great character and then you add in Keaton mentoring her and it makes it even cooler with what a great Batman he was. 

• Like 1

I don’t plan to spend too much time over here but I think this is a good general solution.   

Imo this is unlikely to go over well receptionwise or BOwise, but there is some room for the specific execution to go over better than expected. People have been thinking that this might wipe the Snyder stuff from canon for a while, and Batflexk being done is expected, but transitioning to a no Batman+no Superman model is… unexpected.   

Also if we’re erasing movies from continuity with a one-shot story gimmick, should have erased WW84 😛