Scream (2022)  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

Loved it. Jenna and Jasmin ICONS!!!!! Tara's opening scene was just brutal and hard to watch and I think that's because she actually looks her age and not an actual adult playing a teenager but how the hell did some of these people survive? was she stabbing some of them with a dull knife because some of them got stabbed the fuck up and survived also Melissa wasn't my favorite but she has alot of potential from her obvious mental issues of viewing her father as some kind of guardian angel and how vicious she killed Ritchie 

• Like 1

Wasn't really sold by the opening. It was fine, but if you're going to set yourself up to compare with the original opening...taking twice as long to create a tenth of the tension won't cut it.

Thought the first act was clunky overall tbh. The Skeet Ulrich visions were a choice.

Loved everything with the legacy cast, though. Thought the writing for them and performances from them were spot on. All the Sidney and Gale interactions were either lovely or badass. Honestly, I think I'd like them to bow out with this one - would especially be a nice ending for Gale.

Thought this was also Roger Jackson's strongest work in the series - he went into parody mode in 4, so it was nice to hear him have some good material.

Tyler's score was so non-descript. I really missed Beltrami.

Amber was the Mickey of this movie in that we don't get to know her enough for the reveal to work. Really enjoyed Jack Quaid, though - and I was delighted to see toxic redditors/youtubers portrayed as the 2d villains we all know they are.

Definitely liked it overall.

There's not a whole lot here that reinvents the franchise's MO, but this is still a clever and gory "requel" (as it refers to itself in the movie) that might be the most enjoyable installment in the series since the second one (the original will always remain an untouchable classic). Matt Bettinelli-Opin and Tyler Gillett do a fine job assuming creative control over the iconic franchise they've inherited from the late Wes Craven by mixing meta humor with extended sequences of tension in equally solid fashion for the most part, and the decision to make the villains in this members of the toxic and entitled "fan" culture, the likes of which have harassed cast members of movies like Ghostbusters '16 and The Last Jedi off of social media, is an effective way of justifying resurrecting the series in 2022. Loved everything with the main trio, although I'm not sure about the choice to bring Marley Shelton back primarily to get killed off and de-aged via CGI Ghost Skeet Ulrich was goofy as hell. Melissa Barrera, so charming in In the Heights, is a decent Sidney 2.0 while Jack Quaid and Jenna Ortega also stand out. This would make for an acceptable conclusion to the series, but if they decide to bring it back again in however long it takes, I can't say I wouldn't welcome it. B

The Billy Loomis visions were a bad choice. As stupid as the ghost mom hauntings in Scream 3. Out of place. Doesn't help that Melissa Barrera is an awful actress. Empty performance. Rest of new cast is mostly fine but aren't given interesting characters to work with and standout. I like the idea of them all being suspicious of each other. 

The legacy cast was wasted. 

The film was missing humor. Some namechecks and mentions of elevated horror are no more than chuckles. The most humorous scene was... Dewey meeting new kids? But not much wit there. A lot of what the film attempts was already regurgitated by Scream 3 and the toxic fandom thoroughline feels like an afterthought. None of the characters ever show an interest in movies except Mindy and Tara. 

The kills are fine but a bit over the top. Especially the final kill after the oven. Like, really? Was it just a joke because of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood? And they overdid the knife through the skin kill too much.

Extremely predictable though it does twist itself into knots to fade the obviousness. 

Bad filmmaking. Too much quick editing and shaky cam. Not enough thought behind the compositions. 

I don't know, it's like whatever. Pretty much a Scream sequel in the 2020s

5 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

The kills are fine but a bit over the top. Especially the final kill after the oven. Like, really? Was it just a joke because of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood?

I'm pretty sure it was since it was the same actress (Mikey Madison) who was torched by Leo at the end of that movie lmao. She must enjoy getting burned alive on celluloid.

• Like 1

That oven scene is amazing. It got a huge reaction from the audience too. “Fucking Hand sanitizer?!!” 😂

One of the killers always comes back one last time, so it was needed. 

The knives through the necks and faces were excellent. Fantastic practical effects work on display too. 

The toxic fandom angle is just *chefs kiss*. I can’t believe no one else has thought of that, and I didn’t see it coming. So appropriate for both Scream and the way people behave today. 

Scream is a step above other horror films, because you care about the characters. I’m not often nervous for the welfare of the characters during other slasher films. There are 3 sad deaths in this film. All of them are so well done. 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

That oven scene is amazing. It got a huge reaction from the audience too. “Fucking Hand sanitizer?!!” 😂

One of the killers always comes back one last time, so it was needed. 

The knives through the necks and faces were excellent. Fantastic practical effects work on display too. 

The toxic fandom angle is just *chefs kiss*. I can’t believe no one else has thought of that, and I didn’t see it coming. So appropriate for both Scream and the way people behave today. 

Scream is a step above other horror films, because you care about the characters. I’m not often nervous for the welfare of the characters during other slasher films. There are 3 sad deaths in this film. All of them are so well done. 

You care about the legacy characters. The characters from this movie already evaporated, especially the Kardashian'd sister who is the daughter of you know who. 

Dylan Minnette's death actually caught me by surprise because it really did seem like he was just being used as bait to off Shelton's character.

I was really happy at the end when it was revealed that both of the Meeks twins survived. Also the revelation that Hayden Panettiere's character from the previous movie who was easily the best one introduced in it was still alive as well.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Flopped said:

You care about the legacy characters. The characters from this movie already evaporated, especially the Kardashian'd sister who is the daughter of you know who. 

Nah I really liked the Meeks twins and the two sisters. Jenna Ortega and Jasmine Savoy Brown are scene stealers. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also the revelation that Hayden Panettiere's character from the previous movie who was easily the best one introduced in it was still alive as well.

That seems to be causing a bit of trouble in the fandom. Some are angry because Wes Craven specifically clarified, numerous times, that she’s dead. 

But there we go, the film comments on fandom so well that we don’t have to say anything else lol. 

I liked it because I loved Kirby, but I know Hayden has a very troubled private life just now and hasn’t worked in so long so I doubt she’d be back for 6. 

I actually really cared about the main two sisters. They were well-written characters (minus goofy ghost Billy Loomis, that was a bit stupid), and the two actresses played their part really good. The other new characters were all fine for me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I actually really cared about the main two sisters. They were well-written characters (minus goofy ghost Billy Loomis, that was a bit stupid), and the two actresses played their part really good. The other new characters were all fine for me.

Tara was good because Jenna Ortega gave a fantastic performance but she has no real defining traits. The asthma is literally nothing more than a plot contrivance. Sam could have worked but the Billy Loomis shit is egregious and Barrera's performance is completely flat. 

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Tara was good because Jenna Ortega gave a fantastic performance but she has no real defining traits. The asthma is literally nothing more than a plot contrivance. Sam could have worked but the Billy Loomis shit is egregious and Barrera's performance is completely flat. 

Have to disagree there. I didnt have a problem with her performance save for the mentioned Ghost scenes.

One important thing may be that i saw the film ofc dubbed in german and the german dubbing is honestly one of the worlds best. And because the voice work is a very important part of a perfomance, that could obviously influence my opinion on a character. But despite that, she seemed just very convincing to me, especially in every scene she shared with Tara.