Taylor

Scream VI (March 10, 2023)

Down to 64 MC with 36 reviews. Scream VI will probably end up right around Scream (2022) on MC and a bit under on RT. Good enough for sure, and WoM could potentially be better if the movie is that action-packed and genuinely frightening during some of its set pieces.

Edited by Dragoncaine

17 minutes ago, TheScarecrow said:

I saw it. I think overall it will have good word of mouth. As a fan of the franchise I ejoyed it, but this is probably my ranking...

Scream (1996)

Scream 2

Scream 4

Scream (2022)

Scream VI

Scream 3

Reveal hidden contents

For a movie that relies so heavily on FIVE previous instalments in terms of plot, it's arguably more accessible to GAs than its predecessor. I think because its far less meta and *wink, wink*. Think this will exceed BO expectations.

I'm scared that the killer reveal + motive could be worse than 3. By far the most divisive element seems to be the 3rd act.

A friend saw it on monday and thought it had several of the best set-pieces of the series and now prefers the core 4 to the OG 3 characters, but that the tradeoff was a weak plot. They saw it again today and liked it more (from 7 to an 8/10) and believes the reveal in particular works a lot better on a rewatch.

EDIT: should also add that they believe the general audiences will eat it up more than 5.

Edited by Lucas

10 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

I'm scared that the killer reveal + motive could be worse than 3. By far the most divisive element seems to be the 3rd act.

I've never walked out if a Scream movie dissapointed ....not even 3 cause it seemed to wrap everything up. I wil admit I think the first 65 minutes of scream 2  are some of the best of the series but it took me years to get over randy dying...

Edited by screambaby

31 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

It is. It feels less organic than that and makes a lot less sense when you think about it. What's most annoying is that the movie seemed to be building towards a really interesting motive, and then its scoffed at in the reveal and they pull back on it completely. 

Edited by TheScarecrow

This was Scream 2 all over again: lots of excellent set pieces overcompensating for quite a lame plot. Like with Scream 2, you have lots of padding with the main characters, which is great because they all have chemistry; unlike Scream 2, you don't have Laurie Metcalf working overtime to sell a really rushed and underdeveloped motive. The killer reveal in this is by far the lamest in the series.

I have really mixed views to be honest. I hope I like it more on repeat viewings.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

This was Scream 2 all over again: lots of excellent set pieces overcompensating for quite a lame plot. Like with Scream 2, you have lots of padding with the main characters, which is great because they all have chemistry; unlike Scream 2, you don't have Laurie Metcalf working overtime to sell a really rushed and underdeveloped motive. The killer reveal in this is by far the lamest in the series.

I have really mixed views to be honest. I hope I like it more on repeat viewings.

BIG spoiler below...

I thought Dermot Mulroney's performance was embarassing, tbh. By far the worst thing in the film.

I would keep spoilers out of this thread, even in tags in case someone opens them in error. 

I thought it was intense, brutal, stressful and surprising. It’s literally non-stop too. No other horror franchise gets me this concerned for characters. 

It gave me Scream 2 vibes as well, but in the best way, as I think Scream 2 is the best in the franchise. 

Will be seeing it several more times in cinemas of course. 

A big huge sigh of relief, Radio Silence have done it again. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I would keep spoilers out of this thread, even in tags in case someone opens them in error. 

I thought it was intense, brutal, stressful and surprising. It’s literally non-stop too. No other horror franchise gets me this concerned for characters. 

It gave me Scream 2 vibes as well, but in the best way, as I think Scream 2 is the best in the franchise. 

Will be seeing it several more times in cinemas of course. 

A big huge sigh of relief, Radio Silence have done it again. 

Woot!

Saw it yesterday in 3D 4DX.

A very good sequel that comes close to my favorite ("Scream 2") in every way. Gale's scene is the highlight of the movie in my opinion. They really do her character justice. 😃

It will require multiple viewings to give a proper score but I'll give it 8/10 for now. The final 15 minutes are the only disappointment I can see right now.

As for the 3D: avoid it, if possible. We didn't have a choice as the preview fan screening was only available in 3D 4DX. The 3D adds NOTHING. While it's not bad technically (no shadows etc.), it's simply obvious that Radio Silence never intended this to be seen in 3D. 🤷‍♂️ I hope the 3D share will be low, so Paramount won't repeat that for #7 next year.

Edited by EliasChristensen
  • Like 1

Think it was good. Maybe a bit over-the-top at some points where I thought we we can see the limits of the concept of the meta-horror-movie-genre. The city is not a gimmick at all and a nice element and there is some really good nail bitting moments.

I still have a problem with Melissa Barrera's acting I must say I don't know why. All the rest of the cast is really good (Ortega is indeed above the rest)

Some twists work very well (some just don't, the killer reveal is a tad disappointing event if it has good build up if that makes sense). 

Didn't know the opening and thought it was a clever way to start it !

I'd say a 3/5

and something like

Scream 1 (5*)

Scream 4 (4*)

Scream 2 (4*)

Scream VI (3*)
Scream 5 (3*)

Scream 3 (1,5*)

Edited by Bastien
  • Like 1

I'm sure fans will find stuff to nit pick but this was really good. For me it's on par with 2 and 5 which are the best sequels. Great death/chase sequences, solid script that ties everything into an overall theme, and even the third act reveal felt like an homage to the one in Scream 2, intentional or no. There's also a plot point about Melissa Barrera's character that's very relevant and I don't even think many people will pay attention. I'm really surprised by these last 2 movies because I didn't know it was possible for the Scream franchise to still provide material to think about and discuss.

• Like 4

dip.png

Dipped a little but still pulling slightly ahead of where 5 was at this point, particularly with the average rating. Since it's so close they're probably going to hold out with marking it as certified fresh.

Edited by Lucas