Maggie

Weekend Thread (Feb 4 - 6) : Jackass $1.65 Thursday

Very good for Jackass Forever. Nice to see it silence the doubts and prove a comedy (with nostalgia) can still work theatrically. Nice cash-in for Paramount. I don't know how high it can go. But 55m range seems possible domestically. 

Really astounding hold for Licorice Pizza. In Under 800 theaters, it nearly outgrossed King Richard and should pass French Dispatch with the expansion. Will be the 3rd biggest box office hit behind Dune and West Side Story and more than doubled Belfast. Proves there's still an audience out there for expansion films. Great pivot from MGM to scale back the initial 2000 release during Christmas and hold it

10m is of course awful with the context but.. also fine with the context for Moonfall lol. Honestly, might have done even more had it opened last week with no competition from snow or weather detriments. 

Still not sure Spiderman finishes above Jackass and Moonfall next weekend with Super Bowl.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

If Neon actually campaigned this harder, it would have been a slamdunk crossover hit and been a bigger Oscar contender than Drive My Car

They thought their big Oscar play was Black Swan: Princess Diana Edition...oops. Awards voters like their biopics extremely conventional, a shock to no one except KStew fans and millennial awards bloggers. And Neon, apparently.

I saw Belfast in theaters this afternoon (it's on PVOD as a $19.99 rental, but a matinee ticket was less than half as much) and in a world where the 50+ audience was back to pre-pandemic attendance levels, the floor is $50 million. Total catnip for the AARP crowd. It is big the UK, naturally, it's going to have a very good night at the BAFTAs, whatever the Oscars do.

Overall a nice weekend with Jackass and Moonfall having decent openings. Presidents Day weekend should have a lot if depth in the top 10 between holdhovers and new releases.

16 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

They thought their big Oscar play was Black Swan: Princess Diana Edition...oops. Awards voters like their biopics extremely conventional, a shock to no one except KStew fans and millennial awards bloggers. And Neon, apparently.

I saw Belfast in theaters this afternoon (it's on PVOD as a $19.99 rental, but a matinee ticket was less than half as much) and in a world where the 50+ audience was back to pre-pandemic attendance levels, the floor is $50 million. Total catnip for the AARP crowd. It is big the UK, naturally, it's going to have a very good night at the BAFTAs, whatever the Oscars do.

We’ll see how good it does with BAFTA. Branagh missed Director and it missed Cinematography. It lost the Globe and BAFTA usually follows it like Nomadland, 1917, Three Billboards, La La Land, The Revenant, Boyhood, 12 Years a Slave, Argo, The Artist. Kings Speech won BAFTA after losing Globe naturally. Roma wasn’t eligible for Globe because Foreign.

Belfast won Screenplay but that’s a category that rarely overlaps, too.

LOST: Chicago 7, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Green Book, La La Land, Steve Jobs, Birdman, Her, Midnight in Paris

MATCHED: Three Billboards. Django. Social Network

It was also shutout of BIFA wins, won nothing from London Film Critics and won only Supporting Actress AACTA. (Dench was not BAFTA nominated). The international box office is better than domestic but IMDB average for non-US voter is 7.3/10

7 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Really astounding hold for Licorice Pizza. In Under 800 theaters, it nearly outgrossed King Richard and should pass French Dispatch with the expansion. Will be the 3rd biggest box office hit behind Dune and West Side Story and more than doubled Belfast. Proves there's still an audience out there for expansion films. Great pivot from MGM to scale back the initial 2000 release during Christmas and hold it

The hold for Licorice Pizza should have some context and an asterisk next to it, at least when it comes to comparing it to other holds. 

While the theater count didn't increase or change, it was playing in a lot of new theaters this week.  UA/MGM kept their print count the same but a lot of theaters that had been playing dropped it and the prints went to new theaters that hadn't had it.  

It is the main reason the hold is so good.   

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The hold for Licorice Pizza should have some context and an asterisk next to it, at least when it comes to comparing it to other holds. 

While the theater count didn't increase or change, it was playing in a lot of new theaters this week.  UA/MGM kept their print count the same but a lot of theaters that had been playing dropped it and the prints went to new theaters that hadn't had it.  

It is the main reason the hold is so good.   

Weirdly, on Box Office Mojo the theater count does say +14 this weekend

On 2/5/2022 at 12:42 AM, Blankments said:

@WrathOfHan @Eric Knoxville it's time for february

15x:

Death on the Nile: Tenet Round 3 IMAX, Honest Thief Dolby, Synchronic, Nightmare Alley, The Matrix Resurrections Round 2, A Journal for Jordan, Licorice Pizza Round 2, Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, Scream Dolby, West Side Story Round 2, The Matrix Resurrections Round 3, The King’s Man, No Time to Die Round 2 IMAX, The Souvenir: Part II, Belle Round 2

14x:

Morbius: The Gentlemen, Bloodshot IMAX, The New Mutants IMAX, Tenet Round 3 IMAX, The Last Duel, Eternals Dolby, Spider-Man: No Way Home IMAX, The Matrix Resurrections, Spider-Man: No Way Home Round 2, Nightmare Alley, The Matrix Resurrections Round 2, A Journal for Jordan, Scream Dolby, The Matrix Resurrections Round 3

10x:

The Batman: Dune Dolby, Eternals Dolby, The Matrix Resurrections, Spider-Man: No Way Home Round 2, Nightmare Alley, The Matrix Resurrections Round 2, Licorice Pizza Round 2, Scream Dolby, The Matrix Resurrections Round 3, No Time to Die Round 2 IMAX

8x:

Jackass Forever: Old, The Suicide Squad IMAX, Candyman Dolby, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings IMAX, Malignant, Titane, No Time to Die Dolby, Scream Dolby, The King’s Man

7x:

The 355: Honest Thief Dolby, Mank, Dear Evan Hansen Dolby, No Time to Die Dolby, The French Dispatch, Spencer, Belfast

Lightyear: Encanto Dolby Atmos, The Matrix Resurrections, Nightmare Alley, The Matrix Resurrections Round 2, West Side Story Round 2, The Matrix Resurrections Round 3, The King’s Man

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore: The Matrix Resurrections, Spider-Man: No Way Home Round 2, The Matrix Resurrections Round 2, Sing 2 Dolby, West Side Story Round 2, The Matrix Resurrections Round 3, Belle Round 2

6x:

Ambulance: Dune Dolby, Spider-Man: No Way Home IMAX, The Matrix Resurrections, Spider-Man: No Way Home Round 2, The Matrix Resurrections Round 2, The Matrix Resurrections Round 3

Marry Me: A Journal for Jordan, Licorice Pizza Round 2, Sing 2 Dolby, Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, Scream Dolby, West Side Story Round 2

Uncharted: Dune Dolby, Spider-Man: No Way Home IMAX, Spider-Man: No Way Home Round 2, A Journal for Jordan, Licorice Pizza Round 2, The King’s Man

Moonfall: Malignant, No Time to Die Dolby, Dune Dolby, Spider-Man: No Way Home Round 2, The King’s Man, No Time to Die Round 2 IMAX

5x:

Top Gun: Maverick: Gemini Man Dolby HFR120fps3D, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Dolby, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Round 2 IMAX, A Quiet Place Part II IMAX, Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins IMAX

Turning Red: The Addams Family 2, Ron’s Gone Wrong, Encanto Dolby Atmos, West Side Story Dolby, Sing 2 Dolby

4x:

Hotel Transylvania: Transformania: Spirit Untamed, In the Heights Round 3, Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway, Cruella

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man, Spider-Man: No Way Home IMAX, Spider-Man: No Way Home Round 2

Scream: The Last Duel, Dune Dolby, House of Gucci, Nightmare Alley

Dog: The Matrix Resurrections, Licorice Pizza Round 2, Sing 2 Dolby, Scream Dolby

Everything Everywhere All at Once: The Matrix Resurrections Round 3, The King’s Man, The Souvenir: Part II, Belle Round 2

The Lost City: The Matrix Resurrections, The Matrix Resurrections Round 2, The Matrix Resurrections Round 3, Parallel Mothers

Reveal hidden contents

x3:

Jackass Forever: Red Rocket, The King's Man, Scream

Marry Me: West Side Story, Red Rocket, Scream

Morbius: Red Rocket, Scream, Ghostbusters: Afterlife (I saw this a couple weeks ago and it still had the January date...ouch!)

x2"

Uncharted: The King's Man, Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: West Side Story, Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Lightyear: The King's Man, Ghostbusters: Afterlife

x1"

The Tragedy of Macbeth: Red Rocket

Parallel Mothers: Drive My Car

The King's Daughter: Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Death on the Nile: The King's Man

The Cursed: Scream

Dog: Scream

Cyrano: West Side Story

Studio 666: Scream

Turning Red: West Side Story

Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre: The King's Man

The Lost City: Scream

Ambulance: The King's Man

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore: Red Rocket

Parallel Mothers: Drive My Car

Sorry I didn't get to you earlier. I hoped I would sneak in Parallel Mothers yesterday, but it just didn't fit my schedule.