filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

I thought Best Animated Feature was a foregone conclusion, but maybe not in the direction I expected????

Spoiler

I didn't love Mitchells but I GUESS i'm okay with it's win at the Annies

Also I love how Lin up there isn't sure if they're going to perform 2 weeks out from the show.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I thought Best Animated Feature was a foregone conclusion, but maybe not in the direction I expected????

Hide contents

I didn't love Mitchells but I GUESS i'm okay with it's win at the Annies

Also I love how Lin up there isn't sure if they're going to perform 2 weeks out from the show.

Encanto and Flee are the only movies in Animated to be nominated outside that category with 3 noms overall each. The winner will be between those two (Encanto having the upper hand due to being a pop culture sensation).

BAFTA winners

PICTURE: Power of the Dog

DIRECTOR: Campion, Power of the Dog

ACTOR: Smith, King Richard

ACTRESS: Scanlan, After Love

SUPPORTING ACTOR: Kotsur, CODA

SUPPORTING ACTRESS: DeBose, West Side Story

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Licorice Pizza

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: CODA

EDITING: No Time To Die

PRODUCTION: Dune

SCORE: Dune

CINEMATOGRAPHY: Dune

SOUND: Dune

VFX: Dune

COSTUME: Cruella

MAKEUP: Tammy Faye

CASTING: West Side Story

BRITISH FILM: Belfast

DOCUMENTARY: Summer of Soul

INTERNATIONAL: Drive My Car

This seems to have solidified Smith, Kotsur, and DeBose as acting winners at Oscar.

Power of the Dog barely won here with CODA upsetting in Screenplay. It's positioning itself as the BP sleeper. Watch out for a shocking PGA win.

Belfast underperformed yet again, not even winning Screenplay.

• Astonished 1

The Weakness of the Dog? What is the last movie to only win Best Picture and Best Director at the Oscars? Definitely longer ago than the last Best Picture winner missed an editing nomination.

I thought Belfast would do better here, but if it can't win big on the "crowdpleaser" narrative in its home territory, where it actually did well at the box office, the Oscar seems like an impossible task. I would be more surprised by it losing the Original Screenplay BAFTA,  except someone posted the first page of the Belfast screenplay and it was just so spare, but not in an artsy way voters would appreciate.

Critics Choice winners:

PICTURE: The Power of the Dog

DIRECTOR: Campion

ACTOR: Will Smith

ACTRESS: Jessica Chastain

SUPPORTING ACTOR: Troy Kotsur

SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Ariana DeBose

ENSEMBLE: Belfast

COMEDY: Licorice Pizza

FOREIGN: Drive My Car

ANIMATED: Mitchells vs the Machines

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Belfast

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Power of the Dog

EDITING: West Side Story

COSTUME: Cruella

PRODUCTION: Dune

SCORE: Dune

VFX: Dune

SONG: No Time To Die

MAKEUP: Tammy Faye

Those definitely feel like our guaranteed four acting winners at this point. BAFTA giving Makeup to Tammy Faye was also probably their way of rewarding Chastain (given all the makeup work that had to be done on her) since she wasn't nominated there.

I think the majority of the races are sealed and locked. The “open” ones:

PICTURE: History and stats favor Power of the Dog, but we cannot be sure until it wins PGA where a surging consensus film like CODA can spoil

SCREENPLAY: I don’t think CC matters much and are usually wrong like Nomadland, Little Women, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Beale Street, etc. Licorice Pizza has BAFTA while Belfast has underperformed everywhere. PTA just needs WGA. CODA will win WGA and the BAFTA win was a big deal. Power of Dog has lost BAFTA and USC Scripter. Probably loses to CODA at WGA if eligible. 

EDITING: Dune has lost the guild and the BAFTA (and critic choice). But it’s still the heavy tech favorite. Will it squeak by or does King Richard win?

Encanto should still win as it’s a breakout and has BAFTA. Nightmare Alley can upset in Production but Dune remains frontrunner. Look for Dune to win the guild after winning the Cinematography BAFTA. And Billie still seems set for Song

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The only interesting bit about the Critics Choice awards today is Jane Campion saying something as ridiculously stupid, about Serena and Venus Williams, as Sam Elliot did about Campion, during her acceptance speech.

She was girlbossing too close to the sun after shutting down Sam Elliott at the DGA Awards. Hit peak white feminism. Lost all that good will in an impressive time frame

• Haha 1

I would love to know who would've won Critics Choice if it had happened on the same night as the Golden Globes, as originally scheduled. They want to be Oscar predictors so bad. At least there weren't any "ties" this year.

As for Campion, the old dudes in AMPAS probably care about her calling Sam Elliot a bitch, they’ll relate to him and think she was being uncouth and unladylike. Privileged person sounding privileged (her great-grandfather's house has its own Wikipedia page) is an outrage to Film Twitter, but most voters will think at worse she made an awkward comment and meant no offense. Still, I don't think it'll ruin her Best Director chances.

lol right. I knew she would be apologizing quickly. Oscar voting starts in like 3 days and she's the front runner. 

Stuff like this is why you should prepare speeches ahead of time. So you don't sound stupid.

Rich white woman from New Zealand comparing her challenges to Serena and Venus for literally no reason at all lmao. 🤣  

Edited by ban1o