Eric the Ape

Migration | Universal/Illumination | December 22, 2023

Speaking of which appears it came in over the initial estimates in France, think this translates to about $2.3 mil USD wide opening frame

https://x.com/boxofficefr/status/1734206697349292354?s=20

And about $1.33mil USD opening frame in Italy, just off Puss

https://x.com/CinetelWeb/status/1734104219186004323?s=20

Edited by AniNate

I mean Elemental also had good legs here. Obviously aggregates will vary site to site, but it's definitely a better omen if they are receiving it well in France than if they aren't.

I would be accounting for American reviews as well but they're still under embargo

Edited by AniNate

It's not a crime to pump up a movie I'm rooting for to succeed, and at least here there is a little more concrete evidence of a good audience reception than there was with Wish. The movie has been out for almost a week now in France, people have had time to give considered opinions here.

The Letterboxd aggregate is a little less confidence-inspiring yes, but at the moment it's still better than Elemental's so there's that.

Edited by AniNate

13 hours ago, MovieGuyKyle17 said:

I feel the films marketing has been really non existent in telling you about the film. Ducks Migrating. That's it.  

I strongly agree, at least in the US Marketing.

The trailers I have seen made it look like just another Mediocre Illumination film.

Yeah marketing domestic has been awful, and by Illumination’s standards it’s just horrific. They almost always know how to market their films. Pete 2 is the only other time I remember them dropping the ball on marketing. They are lucky it’s a Xmas release and if WOM is strong there’s no reason to not have a great multi. And that budget is as cheap as they come by major studio animation 

47 minutes ago, MovieGuyKyle17 said:

DAMN even in my wildest predictions I wouldn't of guessed that. The trailers have been really low on going into the film or the characters. They been relying on cute ducks and that's it. 

in fairness I think that Shawn thinks that Migration will do at least $20 million OW which isn't exactly GOOD but it's better.

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

in fairness I think that Shawn thinks that Migration will do at least $20 million OW which isn't exactly GOOD but it's better.

20 for this would be good imo. Remember, its 4th day will be Xmas, so 20 OW isn’t bad at all. With that I think 150 would be pretty reliable, and with a 70 budget that’s a big hit from DOM alone. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1