Eric the Ape

Migration | Universal/Illumination | December 22, 2023

2 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Marketing really fall off the cliff. Don't they remember another original Sing made 600m over holiday season? 

2016 already might as well be a different era in terms of moviegoing at this point and having a soundtrack full of familiar tunes sung by the A-list cast probably makes for an easier selling point than a been there, done that "family going on an adventure" storyline.

RT critic reaction (disliked Wish, Elemental, and Mario)

She did like Ruby Gillman though if you really want to get snooty about auditing her tastes.

Didn't review any of them but still seems to be a pretty discerning critic based on his page:

Edited by AniNate

10 minutes ago, AniNate said:

RT critic reaction (disliked Wish, Elemental, and Mario)

She did like Ruby Gillman though if you really want to get snooty about auditing her tastes.

Didn't review any of them but still seems to be a pretty discerning critic based on his page:

When is the embargo ending? Feel like Universal really let this one die slowly. 

It seems like reception will be good (idk about stellar though), like the first Despicable Me. The downside (box office wise) is that instead of cute, silly yellow creatures it has average looking ducks and an unremarkable voice cast.

It just seems like the fact that it’s an original film and it’s about ducks just generates very little interest. Not sure where the crazy legs predictions are coming from.

6 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

It seems like reception will be good (idk about stellar though), like the first Despicable Me. The downside (box office wise) is that instead of cute, silly yellow creatures it has average looking ducks and an unremarkable voice cast.

It just seems like the fact that it’s an original film and it’s about ducks just generates very little interest. Not sure where the crazy legs predictions are coming from.

Crazy legs would come from people leaving the finished product raving about how good it is. I don't know if that will happen but that's what I'm hoping for, and it has a couple months free of competition much like Puss did last year.

Edited by AniNate

From @Deadline

Universal/Illumination’s Migration, which is on a staggered release, added $5.2M for the second frame overseas. It’s now playing in a total 26 offshore markets and has a cume of $12.3M. This session added eights markets to perform just off Wish, Encanto and Puss in Boots: The Last Wish excluding previews.

Mexico opened with $2M, including $200K from previews, at No.2 in the market behind Wonka. This is in line with Encanto and just off Wish, Sing and Puss in Boots: The Last Wish excluding previews. Migration received positive reviews from the Mexican press, and strong midweek performance is expected. Winter break for schools has now begun, lasting until January 8th.

Top 5 so far are France ($3.1M), Italy ($2.3M), Mexico ($2M), China ($1.5M) and Belgium ($570K).

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The reception and low tracking are definitely giving strong Puss 2 box office vibes. I don’t think it can be that leggy since there’s no nostalgia factor, but I still will not be surprised with north of 150 

isnt being an original property better for legs? 

On 12/12/2023 at 12:41 AM, MovieGuyKyle17 said:

I feel the films marketing has been really non existent in telling you about the film. Ducks Migrating. That's it.  

On 12/14/2023 at 9:29 PM, Borobudur said:

Marketing really fall off the cliff. Don't they remember another original Sing made 600m over holiday season? 

I've been watching a lot of NFL games, and as I just intimated in the Tracking thread, their ads for this film have been some of the worst I've seen in a while.

Basically the pitch seems to be:  You know how annoying kids can be on a trip?  THIS TIME EXPERIENCE THAT, BUT WITH DUCKS!

That's the marketing pitch.  At least to folks watching NFL games.

(PLEEEEEEEEASSSSSEEEEE)

If this really is a good movie, and I don't doubt the initial reactions, then IMO the marketing has been a flat out crime against it.  If I have to see that "ho ho ho, little duck is embarrassed at having a potty break" TV ad one more time I might have to break something.

There had to have been a better way to market this film if it really is good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, YM! said:

If Elemental is the only 100m grossing original animation then shit, it might really be dire for original animation.

8-ish legs for a decent animated movie in december is nothing 

not much difference between 99 and 100, but I just cant see this missing 100 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

8-ish legs for a decent animated movie in december is nothing 

not much difference between 99 and 100, but I just cant see this missing 100 

Same but think if the OW dips under Puss 2, things get dicey. Still surprised this is floundering. Illumination normally sells shit with ease and the audiences eats that shit up with a smile.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Porthos said:

I've been watching a lot of NFL games, and as I just intimated in the Tracking thread, their ads for this film have been some of the worst I've seen in a while.

Basically the pitch seems to be:  You know how annoying kids can be on a trip?  THIS TIME EXPERIENCE THAT, BUT WITH DUCKS!

That's the marketing pitch.  At least to folks watching NFL games.

(PLEEEEEEEEASSSSSEEEEE)

If this really is a good movie, and I don't doubt the initial reactions, then IMO the marketing has been a flat out crime against it.  If I have to see that "ho ho ho, little duck is embarrassed at having a potty break" TV ad one more time I might have to break something.

There had to have been a better way to market this film if it really is good.

Last nights game the commercials make it look like a road trip movie with ducks.  Aquamans commercials last night show they are marketing as a big Epic movie.  Im not sure how else to market these films Both are going to fail. audiences are just more picky picky